Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission Chinese coming to OKC?!?!

Default Re: Mission Chinese coming to OKC?!?!

I want to say there was already a discussion about this months ago on OKC talk, but that the story is identical, so perhaps there's been no progress. I remember reading about this on a story about his new restaurant in San Francisco. It would be great if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I want to say there was already a discussion about this months ago on OKC talk, but that the story is identical, so perhaps there's been no progress. I remember reading about this on a story about his new restaurant in San Francisco. It would be great if it happens.

His next restaurant will be another one in San Francisco. He was planning on a Paris location but felt it wasn't the time. As of now, the new restaurant will be Asian, but not Chinese.

The article states that he wants to open in OKC (really bad). That seems promising. What can we do to make this happen?!

Danny and I were roommates in San Francisco when he was in culinary school and off and on through the years. A new San Francisco restaurant is in the works for the immediate future. He wants to reward some of the people who helped him through the years by helping them get their opportunity too. The new place will feature the chef who took over the original Mission Chinese location as Danny was opening the NYC spot. The chef, Jesse, was also a huge mentor to Danny. He's always wanted to do OKC, but wants a methodical expansion. I'm sure it will happen, but if you factor in two years to get things up and running smoothly at the new spot, it could take a while. Alternatively, the new SF spot may not work out much like the abandoned (for now) Paris plans.

Anyone see that Danny Bowien is coming to OKC this Sunday and possibly Monday for a food benefit at the Myriad Gardens restaurant? Open to Public.

Danny Bowien Is Comning to Oklahoma City to Open a Restaurant | News OK

He actually doesn't get in until Sunday night and will be cooking Monday. My sister is probably picking him up and he's staying with her most likely. I'll post back here if I get more concrete info on the particulars.

Might want to correct the Oklahoman, I was just reposting what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Might want to correct the Oklahoman, I was just reposting what I read.
    Of course, I meant nothing by it. Things were still in flux when the article came out. Even the organizers were unaware at the time. I'm sure things will be corrected via Facebook and other media.

My rotten eyes! I thought at first it said missing Chinese and that confused the heck out of me.

"Hope you are ready to feast for relief this Sunday and Monday! Yes what was once going to be a one night fundraiser has turned into 2 pop ups on back to back nights at the same location. Oklahoma Native Chef Danny Bowien is working with #OKChefsRelief and bringing Mission Street Chinese Food here pop up style for one night! 100% of all proceeds for both nights will go directly to the relief efforts for all that have been affected!" -Ludivine

"Sunday from 11am to 10 pm and Mission Street on Monday. All this is taking place at the restaurant space in the Myriad Botanical Gardens." -Ludivine

Quote Originally Posted by chuck johnson View Post
    "Sunday from 11am to 10 pm and Mission Street on Monday. All this is taking place at the restaurant space in the Myriad Botanical Gardens." -Ludivine
    A little heads up, Danny's going to be on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tonight. He's in the guest room right now prepping up.

Blog Entries

Any chance the city would make him a great deal to locate Mission Chinese at this space. It would be guaranteed traffic to the park.

Momofuku Milk Bar treats and desserts sound are incredible. I hope Im able to get down there and buy some.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Any chance the city would make him a great deal to locate Mission Chinese at this space. It would be guaranteed traffic to the park.
    It's not my place to say, but the other locations are very simple. The original opened and still exists inside another divey Chinese restaurant with a bathroom that isn't in the same building and in one of the grittiest parts of San Francisco. The NYC spot is in a basement level space but somewhat nicer. Mission Burger was inside the deli area of a Vietnamese grocery store in that same gritty area of SF. Even Commonwealth, a sister restaurant of sorts, is upscale but in that same gritty area. A goal being to lower expectations and then exceed them. Neither are expensive by any standard and a portion of proceeds go to charity. Keeping that price point down, donating to charities, and lowering expectations may exceed what that Myriad Gardens can provide. Again, it's not my place to say and never say never but it isn't in keeping with the previous endeavors. If I had to guess, and it's a complete guess, I would say the Plaza or Asian district would be the most likely or somewhere along those lines. In any case, it may be a while.

If the Crack Pie is available, get it. The name rings true.

Blog Entries

It's not my place to say, but the other locations are very simple. The original opened and still exists inside another divey Chinese restaurant with a bathroom that isn't in the same building and in one of the grittiest parts of San Francisco. The NYC spot is in a basement level space but somewhat nicer. Mission Burger was inside the deli area of a Vietnamese grocery store in that same gritty area of SF. Even Commonwealth, a sister restaurant of sorts, is upscale but in that same gritty area. A goal being to lower expectations and then exceed them. Neither are expensive by any standard and a portion of proceeds go to charity. Keeping that price point down, donating to charities, and lowering expectations may exceed what that Myriad Gardens can provide. Again, it's not my place to say and never say never but it isn't in keeping with the previous endeavors. If I had to guess, and it's a complete guess, I would say the Plaza or Asian district would be the most likely or somewhere along those lines. In any case, it may be a while.
    Thanks for a great explanation.

Blog Entries

Did you see him on Jimmy Fallon Thursday night giving a shout out to Moore?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Did you see him on Jimmy Fallon Thursday night giving a shout out to Moore?
    You can watch the video on jimmy fallons website.

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    You can watch the video on jimmy fallons website.

A must see, please share to get the word out:

Chef Danny Bowien on Jimmy Fallon

A peak at the menu

"about to touch down in okc, i've got a lot of prep ahead of me!" -Danny

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	182912_10200642415896910_904489110_n.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	3753

I just got back from the special event and saw Danny Bowien there. It was very interesting, to say the least. The food was served family style from Chinese takeout boxes. There were some dishes I liked better than others but all of it was very inventive and was well worth the requested donation. My only problem was that I had to use chopsticks to eat with and I'm notoriously bad with those, LOL. I did manage to get enough food to my mouth to get full though.

Good for you for trying it and supporting a good cause. He didn't have all the ingredients he needed nor the time but he did what he thought would be the most approachable. I made the caramel sauce for the ribs so blame me if that didn't work out for you.

Good for you for trying it and supporting a good cause. He didn't have all the ingredients he needed nor the time but he did what he thought would be the most approachable. I made the caramel sauce for the ribs so blame me if that didn't work out for you.
    The ribs were my favorite, chuck. Thanks.

Thread Information