Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 17 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprouts

Large Chain Sprouts

This is the old CompUSA site and before that, I think it was a Safeway.

28,700 square feet to be remodeled for $800,000.

"Sunflower Farmers Market (www.sunflowermarkets.com) is a rapidly growing chain of full-service grocery stores offering consumers the highest quality natural and organic products at the lowest possible price. The company, founded in 2002, is a pioneer in developing the emerging value segment of the natural and organic foods retailing industry. They have remained true to their motto “Serious Food…Silly Prices®” since the market’s inception. The company has 33 retail stores located throughout Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, and Texas."

With Whole Foods, the new up-scale market proposed for Edmond and now Sunflower, things are starting to (finally!) heat up in the OKC grocery game.

Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

The stores are pretty basic in appearance but the produce is supposed to be super fresh and reasonable.

Sunflower is based out of Boulder and run by the guy that used to head Wild Oats before it was bought out by Whole Foods. Their strategy seems to target those that love fresh/organic but don't want to pay Whole Paycheck prices.

http://naturalspecialtyfoodsmemo.blo...d-scrappy.html

OMG. . . now THIS is exciting!! Am reposting my "upscale Edmond market" because I think it is (more) applicable here.

The Buy 4 Less on NW Expw/I-44/Portland has upgraded nicely, and yes, I think with the advent of WF, the other grocers are at long last stepping up their game. It would be nice if the one in Edmond is hugely successful. . .perhaps they will do another in the Midtown area. It is interesting, but OKC finally seems "ready" for this type of shopping experience. Pratt's tried a WF/CM format several years ago in Edmond and it didn't last long/make it. . . hopefully we are ready now!! I don't really care about "upscale". . . it is the availability of interesting and unusual product that we so need (including "food to go"). . . .I'd absolutely be the last person to "dis" Buy 4 Less. . . when it comes to herbs (NW 23/Penn) and Latino/Mexican goods (NW 36th/MacArthur). . .and the cheese selection at NW Expwy/I-44/Portland is (imo) second only to Forward Foods. It seems like we are at long last expanding to more than one "possiblity"!!
    Last edited by foodiefan; 04-08-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: forgot to add post!!

Pete. . . OKC doesn't show on their "locations" page. . .are you saying this is coming??

5. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

This is great news. This is the one I referred to in the thread about D&B. I'm very excited about this as it's just a few blocks from my home at Founders. To have this along with the Buy for Less at NWX and Portland (great store), Whole Foods and a couple of others, as Pete said - this market is finally heating up.

OKC doesn't show on their "locations" page. . .are you saying this is coming??
    A building permit was issued today in their name! So, this is more than a plan... They are ready to start work.

Heck, they may even be open before Whole Foods! And I don't think it's a coincidence they chose a location only about a mile away.

Sunflower seems to be similar to Sprouts, which also tends to locate near WF's and compete with lower prices.

PA-LEESE say yes! This would be "So Fine"! And Sam's Liquors is a 1/2 block away. . .can't hurt!!

This intersection (NW 63rd/May) could turn into a shopping destination!!

That is going to be a good location for them, in a former Safeway store (that was a Hobby Lobby prior to Sunflower) just like the one close to my house here in Austin. It is the closest grocery store to my house and I go there pretty often, a very good produce section. The Sprouts on this side of town went into the former CompUSA store.

They have great bulk chocolate peanut clusters......

10. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    This intersection (NW 63rd/May) could turn into a shopping destination!!
    May Avenue from 50th street north, about as far as you can go, is a boom street. The area around 63rd south to 50th will be an almost total transformation. It's been great to see. The whole area is on the radar screens of national retailers. Keep an eye on the Borders location. It's not just about good demographics in the area, but about access. This whole area is easy to get to via Northwest Expressway and, maybe more importantly I-44 and Lake Hefner Parkway. Close to Penn Square. Add to that the fact that the new ownership at 50 Penn sounds like they are serious about returning that space to its former glory, and things look really good for the area around the Northwest Business District.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    May Avenue from 50th street north, about as far as you can go, is a boom street. The area around 63rd south to 50th will be an almost total transformation. It's been great to see. The whole area is on the radar screens of national retailers. Keep an eye on the Borders location. It's not just about good demographics in the area, but about access. This whole area is easy to get to via Northwest Expressway and, maybe more importantly I-44 and Lake Hefner Parkway. Close to Penn Square. Add to that the fact that the new ownership at 50 Penn sounds like they are serious about returning that space to its former glory, and things look really good for the area around the Northwest Business District.
    Good points.

I wish something could go in on the former dealership site north of I-44 on the west side of May.

12. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    Good points.

I wish something could go in on the former dealership site north of I-44 on the west side of May.
    You know, those guys were ready to move with a big center right when the bottom fell out. They had a website up with drawings and everything. Add to that, Mayfair Plaza which is having tenancy problems due to poor, poor ownership. The Warr family had that for years and it was always nice, good tenants with a waiting list, well-maintained, but after Gene died, the kids sold it and its gone down the tubes. They didn't even decorate for Christmas this past year, a first for that center. But, I hear that the value has skyrocketed due to all the improvements just blocks north and that might mean the owner in LA might sell. He's run off just about everybody. Even Dick Christman finally left. Let's all hope he takes advantage of the market increase and sells. There's interested parties, I know.

DC moved to 36th/MacArthur. . .wondered what was up with that. . . they have been at 50th/May forever. Hope their move will bring good things a little further West!!

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    Good points.

On my last visit to OKC. I noticed that stretch of block is getting pretty run down. I think they need to bulldoze San Marcos, the car dealer next door that used to be a gas station and to the North of San Marcos there are some run down ratty white looking buildings. After they bulldozed the former Lynn Hickey building it is just sitting there with the remnants in the parking lot. To the South, is a Lowes and across the street a fairly new car dealership that replaced a run down shopping strip.

This will be a nice addition to the grocery scene in OKC. Finally, the city is stepping up to the plate and getting better grocery selections.

!!!! This is OUTSTANDING NEWS!

Yes, it's wonderful news. I live about 2 miles from there. I normally walk right by the organic food section where I shop now because the prices are out of sight. The competition will be good for everone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    This is the old CompUSA site and before that, I think it was a Safeway. ...
    Interesting. I couldn't have told you what was there before it was Comp USA (I probably would have guessed that it and that entire strip mall was new construction.

Know there used to be an IGA around the corner in the French Market Mall (where Quiznos, Dollar Tree etc are located now). This was back in the day when Venture(?) was one of the anchors and there was actually an enclosed mall (what is now Burlington). The only visible remnants of the mall structure are the escalators and the wrought iron fencing (now painted white).

Think the only "original" tenants are Furrs and the Pipe Store (used to be in the mall).

Is it going to be similar to a "Co-Op" type grocery store that you see in the Midwest a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Is it going to be similar to a "Co-Op" type grocery store that you see in the Midwest a lot?
    It is not a "co-op" type store, Sunflower and Sprouts are regular grocery stores with a natural/organic focus. They are somewhat different being more like a grocery store than the Wheatsville Co-op down here.

This is GREAT news for OKC. I think this thread should be duplicated on the General Civic Issues and/or Urban Core thread, as it is something that affects all of OKC's quality of life.

I was at Half Price books at that shopping center this morning wondering what would go in that empty space so this is interesting news. I hope they don't put Akins out of business.

Hopefully it will encourage Akins to beef up it's selection, Akins is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Hopefully it will encourage Akins to beef up it's selection, Akins is a joke
    I agree. I feel that the pressure is on for the OKC grocery scene. For too long, OKC has settled for inferior grocery stores with lack of quality and selection. With Whole Foods and Sunflower entering the market Akins and all other grocery stores are going to have to change their mentality if they are going to survive. Competition is healthy in the market but it is going to come down to survival of the fittest.

I see them as a bit different, to me Akin's was always a supplement/vitamin store with a little bit of grocery, Sunflower is grocery with some supplements. We have the same thing here with the Vitamin Cottage/Natural Grocers being more like Akin's than a Whole Foods, HEB Central Market, Sunflower or Sprouts.

Thread Information