Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprouts

Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    You can get it by the pound at Hobbies hoagies, and Forward Foods, also pretty sure the new SW Crest store carries it, those are just a few off the top of my head in addition to the others mentioned, I know there is more though. I used to like it, but I think Boars Head is overrated.
    Don't know if Metro will check back in or not, but. . . I called Forward Foods (OKC) and they said they do not carry Boar's Head, also checked with the SW Crest store. . .nix. Hobbies Hoagies does carry, but, like Midtown Deli, selection is limited to what they stock to put on their sandwiches (understand that. . .makes sense for their purposes). So, I'll be glad when Sunflower hits town with it's goodies as it is closer to me than Crescent or Kamps.

I know the Crest in Edmond definitely does not carry Boars Head.

No offense, but what's the BFD about Boar's Head meat? Can't you get it at any deli in the Midwest? It's good but it's not nearly as good as the meat you get at delis in New York, Chicago, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    No offense, but what's the BFD about Boar's Head meat? Can't you get it at any deli in the Midwest? It's good but it's not nearly as good as the meat you get at delis in New York, Chicago, etc.
    While I agree that it's not as good as the meat you get at delis in NY and Chicago, OKC is not NY, Chicago and I"m not aware of anyplace you can buy those types of meats here. I just happen to like it better than anything else I can get locally so I end up making a special trip to Crescent or Kamp's, however Sunflower FM will be much closer to me, so I'm excited. If there is something available locally that you prefer to Boar's Head, please share and I would be delighted to give it a try.
    Last edited by foodiefan; 04-22-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: typo; clarification

Blog Entries

There is a sandwich place on Britain Rd. btwn Penn and May, by the Johnnies in the little shopping center that has Boar's Head, I believe. Not sure why some here wouldn't like it. And, I think it is the equivalent of what you get in most delis in NYC....just not maybe the elite shops.

Boar's Head is about the best you can find in this part of the country, it still isn't what you can find in some places. The best pastrami that I have had is at Friedman's Lunch Deli in Chelsea Market in NYC. I have found nothing close to it but Boar's Head is an acceptable substitute.

Might be more excited about this than the WF

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    There is a sandwich place on Britain Rd. btwn Penn and May, by the Johnnies in the little shopping center that has Boar's Head, I believe. Not sure why some here wouldn't like it. And, I think it is the equivalent of what you get in most delis in NYC....just not maybe the elite shops.
    ND Foods

The info about the OKC store is now on their website. . .63rd and May. Interesting to read that their IT guy is from Oklahoma!

11. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

Was at Half-price books today. At checkout, I said to the checker, "That grocery development next door should be really neat for you. I don't recall the name, do you?" He didn't. I said, "My understanding is that it's similar to Whole Foods but costs less." Those words didn't seem to register.

In the next-door former CompUSA facility where this new grocer will be located, I saw several workers busily doing something inside. So everything seems to be moving along.

I know there is always a bit of controversy re: subjectivity and potential for voting "irregularity" on the annual "Best" contest in the Gazette. . . .so, given that it is what it is and this is 2011. . .Sunflower Farmer's Market was voted the best organic food store in Tucson in the Tucson Weekly's "Best of Tucson" 2010. Food Conspiracy Co-Op was #2 and Trader Joe's was #3. At least we're getting some variety!!

I'm really looking forward to this opening. The location is great although if they want to head south on May from the store, drivers are going to have to think ahead.

And it is right by an excellent quilt shop, no less.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Boar's Head is about the best you can find in this part of the country, it still isn't what you can find in some places. The best pastrami that I have had is at Friedman's Lunch Deli in Chelsea Market in NYC. I have found nothing close to it but Boar's Head is an acceptable substitute.
    We have an apartment in Chelsea, about 21st and 9th. I'll go try Friedmans next time I'm there. Can't wait.

Unfortunately this problem transcends all social and economic demographics. It should not be meant as a reflection on the company, however. We will still welcome them to OKC.

...old news.

happened to drive by on my way to work this morning and noticed that they've got the sign up on the front of the building... -M

According to their website, it looks like they will be having the OKC Grand Opening on August 31.

http://www.sunflowermarkets.com/

Nice! That's earlier than originally expected. It says that the first 200 paying customers will get a reusable shopping bag with $50 worth of healthy groceries!

They have the main sign up and 2 signs that say "fresh produce" and "natural meats" on both sides.

http://newsok.com/sunflower-natural-...ad_story_title

Alison Oshel, director of community redevelopment for the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, said it wasn't until the Whole Foods announcement that other grocery chains became interested in our market because it showed our shoppers are receptive to new concepts.

One of the most sought-after grocers, Trader Joes, has finally agreed to look into the Oklahoma City market, she said.

“Traditionally, grocers weren't interested in Oklahoma City because Walmart held such a stronghold,” she said. “I think we have opened doors with Whole Foods.”

Hope TJ's comes to town!

I've said all along that I thought it would do very well in OKC.

Thread Information