Widgets Magazine

Thread: Google Fiber - Please tell me OKC leaders are bidding to get us on the list...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Google Fiber - Please tell me OKC leaders are bidding to get us on the list...

I searched but didn't find a thread for this topic...

For those that don't know... Kansas City won the bid to be the initial test market for Google Fiber. It appears now that the next market will be Austin. I'm hoping for the I-35 corridor expansion to continue for this product. Personally I think this would be a HUGE get for OKC as far as development goes, but it will obviously it will take the city actively seeking this out for it to happen in the early rollout stages.

https://fiber.google.com/about/

Does anyone know if OKC leaders ARE actively trying to get us in the picture on this????

I will say that I love OKC and there are legitimately very few things that make me jealous about other cities... This would be one of those very few things. The city can easily justify working towards this as it offers FREE 1-5Mbps internet, which means the whole city could effectively be on the web, broadband style, in short order. And, for more tech savvy folks, 1 Gigabit/s internet is almost too awesome to even comprehend.

Default Re: Google Fiber - Please tell me OKC leaders are bidding to get us on the list...

because of the size (land size) of our city we are very unlikely to be anywhere near the top of this list

Default Re: Google Fiber - Please tell me OKC leaders are bidding to get us on the list...

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    because of the size (land size) of our city we are very unlikely to be anywhere near the top of this list
    Well, They need a city to test out large area scale... lol. And, if they are looking to work from inside out, (hopefully) then they would infill KC and Austin with OKC and Dallas and move out from there. I'm sure it's hopeful thinking on my part...

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Well, They need a city to test out large area scale... lol. And, if they are looking to work from inside out, (hopefully) then they would infill KC and Austin with OKC and Dallas and move out from there. I'm sure it's hopeful thinking on my part...
    okc is the same size as Los Angeles we have 1.3 mil people (msa) they have 9.8 mil people .. which do you think they would build out first??

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    okc is the same size as Los Angeles we have 1.3 mil people (msa) they have 9.8 mil people .. which do you think they would build out first??
    with any other company I would agree with you whole heartedly... but Google isn't like any other company. Not to mention that IF larger markets with more potential customers was their main goal right now, then they wouldn't have started with KC and Austin... two cities that have similar MSA's to OKC AND are also both on the I-35 corridor.

That's why I'm wondering if OKC is actively selling the city to Google on this at all. Austin came in a close second to KC on the original bid for the first market... and, they are now getting to be the second market.

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    with any other company I would agree with you whole heartedly... but Google isn't like any other company. Not to mention that IF larger markets with more potential customers was their main goal right now, then they wouldn't have started with KC and Austin... two cities that have similar MSA's to OKC AND are also both on the I-35 corridor.

That's why I'm wondering if OKC is actively selling the city to Google on this at all. Austin came in a close second to KC on the original bid for the first market... and, they are now getting to be the second market.
    look at the size of the city and the density of the city's that they have chosen ...... then look at OKC

I have to suspect that a city which:
    can rebuild Reno near the arena multiple times,
    fail to fully comprehend the amount of concrete needed to build sidewalks for MAPs3,
    have the OKC Blvd. become the mess it did

probably isn't up to the task of getting to the front of the line for a major tech test.

Might be wrong. It's been known to happen.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I have to suspect that a city which:
    can rebuild Reno near the arena multiple times,
    fail to fully comprehend the amount of concrete needed to build sidewalks for MAPs3,
    have the OKC Blvd. become the mess it did

probably isn't up to the task of getting to the front of the line for a major tech test.

Might be wrong. It's been known to happen.
    haha, this.

I remember reading in Wired about how google picked KC. And a big part is how easily and cheaply google can secure easements and/or be able to use existing power lines to be able to wire the city.

It's really easy to criticize about negatives, rather than positives.

Austin is a media darling. It is very hyped and very popular with young professionals. Austin as well as Kansas City aren't plagued by the stereotypes OKC is. Austin is also a very tech-focused city. It doesn't surprise me they are getting this. We have to remember that OKC to Austin is like Wichita is to OKC.

My guess would be that Google intends to continue rolling out this service to more communities, depending on the success in KC and Austin. It might be a few years, but there's no reason to think OKC can't get similar service here.

I was completely prepared to be heart broken after reading that article... however, to me it's more proof that OKC could put together a VERY GOOD pitch to Google to look at OKC. It's not about market size or even customer base... more about fact-finding and R&D. It would be a way for them to mine data on building their network in wider geographical area (due to our sprawl) AND it would also give them an opportunity work on the next phase they would need for their network; connecting the networks from city to city (gee, we're right in between KC and Austin). Plus, OKC falls on almost every one of the top 10 lists that are always coming out about jobs and/or economy... Even the "best places for young professionals" type lists are noticing OKC now... So, it's not like our pitch would be completely out of left field.

It would take a concerted effort on the part of the city and a really savvy salesperson that loves OKC and can speak to Google's technology and brand.

Heck, get Tulsa invloved and we can sell Google on us being a testbed for their possible migration into states with two large metro areas and their ability to connect these "urban" networks through larger rural areas... you want Cinci/Columbus/Cleveland and Philly/Pittsburg (just two good examples)? Try out OKC and Tulsa for a fraction of the overhead costs first to see how this will work out.

Just throwing this stuff out there... I know getting Google Fiber here in OKC anytime soon is a pipedream but it sure would be awesome. ESPECIALLY if Google eventually decides they don't want to go national with their product and it only ends up being in the "test" markets longterm... I sure would love having OKC be one of those markets.

Tulsa would be a better option for this because it isn't as big as OKC by land area. Keep in mind that it's Kansas City, Kansas that got picked by Google it's a lot smaller in land area than OKC and Tulsa and so is Austin. The only way it would work in OKC would be if it were just built in central OKC.

15. Default Re: Google Fiber - Please tell me OKC leaders are bidding to get us on the list...

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post
    Tulsa would be a better option for this because it isn't as big as OKC by land area. Keep in mind that it's Kansas City, Kansas that got picked by Google it's a lot smaller in land area than OKC and Tulsa and so is Austin. The only way it would work in OKC would be if it were just built in central OKC.
    So would it stand to reason that Norman or Stillwater would probably be better options considering the academic benefits as well?

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    so would it stand to reason that norman or stillwater would probably be better options considering the academic benefits as well?
    norman! Norman! Norman!

It was KCK initially. They expanded to KCMO shortly after, it's been available since last year. They're also expanding to parts of Johnson County which is home to the upscale suburbs of the KC metro.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    It was KCK initially. They expanded to KCMO shortly after, it's been available since last year. They're also expanding to parts of Johnson County which is home to the upscale suburbs of the KC metro.
    I thought it was the other way around

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I thought it was the other way around
    No, they started small with KCK. Google picks Kansas City, Kan., for fiber investment (Video) (Video) - Kansas City Business Journal

I hope Tulsa doesn't get Google Fiber before OKC...though I am sure that is what is likely.

21. Default Re: Google Fiber - Please tell me OKC leaders are bidding to get us on the list...

City #3 is Provo...

Google Fiber to launch in Provo, Utah - Apr. 17, 2013

Here is the kicker...it is an existing fiber network the city already built. Google wants to buy it and upgrade it to their level.

City #3 is Provo...

Here is the kicker...it is an existing fiber network the city already built. Google wants to buy it and upgrade it to their level.

City #3 is Provo...

Upgrading the electronic equipment is a drop in the bucket compared to the price of laying out the fiber and having all their stuff using the same equipment probably saves some on the management side

24. Default Re: Google Fiber - Please tell me OKC leaders are bidding to get us on the list...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Upgrading the electronic equipment is a drop in the bucket compared to the price of laying out the fiber and having all their stuff using the same equipment probably saves some on the management side
    Yep. It also says something about a community that took the initiative themselves.

Thread Information