Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: GE Global Research

1. Default Re: GE Global Research Center

Gut feeling this is going either on Memorial or at UNP in Norman. Mayor Cornett being at the announcement has me leaning more for NW OKC than Norman, but we'll see.

2. Default Re: GE Global Research Center

I don't see any problem with it going on Memorial. It's a very established area in terms of infrastructure and commercial offerings, as well as a residential. Lots of upper middle class to upper class neighborhoods in the area. Not everything has to be built downtown.

Default Re: GE Global Research Center

The problem with Memorial is that is is very far from Norman, and access to OU was one of their stated goals.

Listening to the press conference the CEO stated one of the reason they chose Oklahoma City was the concentration of universities in OKC will help recruitment. I don't think they just want to pick/cater from OU, but utilize all universities in the area. Puting the research center on the research campus at OU may send wrong message that they just want OU recruits, when you have universities like UCO & OCU to recruit from also.

I would think if OU campus was in the running for such a development, they would know by now, and somebody from the university would've been at the press conference like, David Boren, because this is a big deal.

They specifically named OU in their press release, no doubt due to it's prowess in geology, petroleum engineering, etc.

Doesn't mean the facility will be on the OU campus or in UNP, but I don't think it will be on Memorial, either.

GE is currently evaluating locations that will help the company capitalize on the renowned academic institutions, including the University of Oklahoma, as well as the skilled workforce in the Oklahoma City area.

Blog Entries

Boren is close to this deal. I was at the Placemaking conference at OU yesterday and Boren and Cornett were late arriving because they were at the announcement with Gov Fallin. Why would he go if he isn't part of making it happen? Don't know that it means that it is going in Norman, but I believe OU and GE will have a very nice relationship...sort of like Battelle Institute and tOSU.

Blog Entries

Maybe they should buy the cotton mill and become the core of a new mixed use area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Boren is close to this deal. I was at the Placemaking conference at OU yesterday and Boren and Cornett were late arriving because they were at the announcement with Gov Fallin. Why would he go if he isn't part of making it happen? Don't know that it means that it is going in Norman, but I believe OU and GE will have a very nice relationship...sort of like Battelle Institute and tOSU.
    Would be interesting if it was to go on one of the former PHF (now part of OU) expansion sites

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Maybe they should buy the cotton mill and become the core of a new mixed use area.
    Bravo - great idea. +1000000

But is there enough space for expansion?

Blog Entries

Plenty of room for office building and labs, plus residential and light commercial and another hotel.

I suppose so - that makes a lot of sense. I cannot think of a downside to locating it there.

What about the Pull A Part as another possibility? That would be a pretty nice location on the river. In fact I think the Core to Shore "dream" was some sort of academic institution at that location.

Tend to agree with Pete, don't believe they would go up on Memorial or in University South Park, both due to distance factor.

Could see them going to UNP and maybe that is part of the reason Dr. Boren committed OU to bridge funding for the air traffic tower at the Norman airport.

On the other hand a couple of their other research parks are located on the river banks, NY and Brazil, and one would think that a big part of them locating here is the vitality and energy created in downtown.

Big question is how much future expansion?

Just eye balling the map it their would appear that available land is about equal at UNP and the downtown air park, with the airpark having a slight edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post

Big question is how much future expansion?

edge.
    For reference, many of the other GE Global Research Centers started with 200-ish engineers/scientists and now boast 800-2400 engineers/scientists. I would not be surprised to see this facility grow to 800+ in a decade or two.

The Runway at THE MAX WESTHEIMER AIRPORT in Norman has a length of: 4750 ft. This can handle virtually and business jet that I’m aware of. The Max Wertheimer Airport has recently undergone a very extensive renovation project. + The main runway could probably be lengthened if needed.
    With the construction of a taxi way a GE executive could virtually pull up to the back door of a new UNP facility and walk in the door. Most of them would love this time saver.

There is plenty of vacant land at the UNP for future expansion but there are literally several thousand vacant acres within 2 to 3 miles of this location with very easy I-35 access. I live nearby and frequently travel this area.

With all of the above and GE’s apparent desire to be close to OU the UNP location would seem to be the best fit for their goals including any major expansion goals that are sure to follow.

The UPN Hotel, retail, and eating establishments will also grow.
    This future growth should add to the attractiveness of this location for GE.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisJ View Post
    For reference, many of the other GE Global Research Centers started with 200-ish engineers/scientists and now boast 800-2400 engineers/scientists. I would not be surprised to see this facility grow to 800+ in a decade or two.
    Something that could eventually develop is this GE facility could start doing contract research for some of the major oil & NG and service companies. In due time this could mean billions of dollars’ worth of contracts and a greatly expanded research work force.

Default Re: GE Global Research Center to be built in Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how you came away with this impression after watching that video? No matter what side of the aisle you're on, this is a great get for the state and our governor certainly helped play a part in landing it.....your personal jab withstanding.
    It was very easy to get that impression after watching that video just by listening to her. I never said she played no part, just she is a very bad public speaker. I don't want to change this into a political discussion so I will have no further comments about that.

Default Re: GE Global Research Center to be built in Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It was very easy to get that impression after watching that video just by listening to her. I never said she played no part, just she is a very bad public speaker. I don't want to change this into a political discussion so I will have no further comments about that.
    It'll turn into a political debate whether you play a part in it or not. All the threads do.

18. Default Re: GE Global Research Center

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    The Runway at THE MAX WESTHEIMER AIRPORT in Norman has a length of: 4750 ft. This can handle virtually and business jet that I’m aware of. The Max Wertheimer Airport has recently undergone a very extensive renovation project. + The main runway could probably be lengthened if needed.
    With the construction of a taxi way a GE executive could virtually pull up to the back door of a new UNP facility and walk in the door. Most of them would love this time saver.

There is plenty of vacant land at the UNP for future expansion but there are literally several thousand vacant acres within 2 to 3 miles of this location with very easy I-35 access. I live nearby and frequently travel this area.

With all of the above and GE’s apparent desire to be close to OU the UNP location would seem to be the best fit for their goals including any major expansion goals that are sure to follow.

The UPN Hotel, retail, and eating establishments will also grow.
    This future growth should add to the attractiveness of this location for GE.
    Runway 17/35 is actually just a smidge under 5200', so it is capable of most small and medium business jets. It is also capable of handling most small to medium passenger jets should a corporate shuttle be required. The issues come down to the range any aircraft would need. Longer range business jets will be weight limited and won't be able to top off to get very far.

It very well could work out to where GE be the main anchor for the new business park at Westheimer/UNP which is planned to have 6 business buildings and two connected corporate hangars.

This is very exciting for the city, state, and OU. Makes me proud as a graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This is very exciting for the city, state, and OU. Makes me proud as a graduate.
    This.

GE is considering "at least two locations" in Norman (via Don Wood).

Norman on GE short list for center » Headlines » The Norman Transcript

This is from the Norman Executive Director of Economic Develop....

“That’s great news for central Oklahoma,” Wood said. “The governor has done a fantastic job in securing this project for central Oklahoma, and we’ll hope for the best as far as it goes for Norman. Without her efforts, we may not have had the same outcome.”

Sounds like the Governor has it together...

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Runway 17/35 is actually just a smidge under 5200', so it is capable of most small and medium business jets. It is also capable of handling most small to medium passenger jets should a corporate shuttle be required. The issues come down to the range any aircraft would need. Longer range business jets will be weight limited and won't be able to top off to get very far.

It very well could work out to where GE be the main anchor for the new business park at Westheimer/UNP which is planned to have 6 business buildings and two connected corporate hangars.
    Thanks for the correction about the length, the information I looked up was very old.
    I still believe the main runway could probably be lengthened further if needed.
    + Some of the OU athletic teams and some fans would probably appreciate it when they charter planes.

“The relationship with OU was very important,” Wood said. “That was critical to the success of this project.”

If the relationship with OU was indeed critical, close proximity to OU would also be critical.

The two locations being considered in Norman are almost certainly the South Research Campus (near Lloyd Noble) and University North Park (I-35 & Robinson).

Thread Information