Widgets Magazine

Thread: Two abandoned structures near Cowbody Hall of Fame

Default Two abandoned structures near Cowbody Hall of Fame

Does anybody know the history of these two structures and the two slabs/parking areas to the west?

1175 public road

In the current maps and street view, you can see both structures and the lots.

One is a structure made of native stone circa 1930, and a swimming pool cabana structure next to that circa 1960.

I've seen these two buildings over the years and wondered about thier history.

Saturday, I drove past to see the native stone structure demolished which had to happen within the past 90 days or so.

Default Re: Two abandoned structures near Cowbody Hall of Fame

I know the structures that you are refering to. They stood there for years. as far as I know they were always residences because I remeber pepole living there, but I can't help but wonder in the structure at the east end of the lot was a small motel in it's early days.

The one with the pool is still standing. I had a look around the old one a few months ago and it didn't seem layed out like a house. I don't remember why, though.

The shape of it is what made me think it was originally a motel. I remember seeing it in the 60's when we would drive by there, but I don't remember what it was. I do know that people were living in it back in the late 80's, early 90's. In fact it almost looked like it was being used as a rooming house

5. Default Re: Two abandoned structures near Cowbody Hall of Fame

I thought the last time I patronized Gabriella's (a week or ago), those structures had since been leveled. Am I mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    The shape of it is what made me think it was originally a motel. I remember seeing it in the 60's when we would drive by there, but I don't remember what it was. I do know that people were living in it back in the late 80's, early 90's. In fact it almost looked like it was being used as a rooming house
    I have vague memories of there being a Ramada Inn in that area during the 50s or so, with the office on a lower level near the highway (now I44) and the cabins themselves at an upper level...

The Ramada or similar chain motel is to the east of the properties I'm asking about. If one is travling down 63rd, they are easy to miss. They are also not that visible from I-44.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I thought the last time I patronized Gabriella's (a week or ago), those structures had since been leveled. Am I mistaken?
    The older of the two--visible in google--has been recently leveled. The other remains standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond_Outsider View Post
    Does anybody know the history of these two structures and the two slabs/parking areas to the west?

1175 public road

In the current maps and street view, you can see both structures and the lots.

One is a structure made of native stone circa 1930, and a swimming pool cabana structure next to that circa 1960.

I've seen these two buildings over the years and wondered about thier history.

Saturday, I drove past to see the native stone structure demolished which had to happen within the past 90 days or so.
    I can't believe that building is still there. One was the old Braniff Mansion that burned down even before my time and was purported to be haunted. Is Ron Stalcup's name still written on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    I have vague memories of there being a Ramada Inn in that area during the 50s or so, with the office on a lower level near the highway (now I44) and the cabins themselves at an upper level...
    The one I'm thinking of is West of the CHF. I have a great story and a barbed wire scar on my leg from going in there when it was still under construction. (kids snooping around) The Ramada was east of there kinda like when you were going to the old Turner Turnpike. I know there was a Thunderbird Motel up there too. It was a two story construction w/pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Baby View Post
    The Ramada was east of there kinda like when you were going to the old Turner Turnpike.
    Interesting. Is this to say that Turner Turnpike once terminated further southwest than it now does?

Quote Originally Posted by Free Won't View Post
    Interesting. Is this to say that Turner Turnpike once terminated further southwest than it now does?
    No, the Turner Turnpike has always teminated at I-35 in it's current location.

Oh, by the way. Abandoned Oklahoma has a piece about these properties on their website. Acording to them it was always two residences. It is owned by Aubry McClendon and his Arcadia Farms.

Thread Information