Widgets Magazine

Thread: Is there a history in OKC of depleted apartments being torn down??

Default Is there a history in OKC of depleted apartments being torn down??

As in, a vacant or nearly vacant complex being torn down, and that land in turn being used for some sort of new development? Besides apartments. Just curious if anyone knows of any examples. Obviously there are areas where this would be preferable.

Default Re: Is there a history in OKC of depleted apartments being torn down??

There are many delapitated and vacant apartment complexes around the metro that need to be torn down and the land repurposed for other needs.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    There are many delapitated and vacant apartment complexes around the metro that need to be torn down and the land repurposed for other needs.
    I completely agree. I just didn't know if there was some sort of city department or program that deals with these issues. Maybe something to set aside future maps money for, if there ever comes to be another.

Yeah, there's some over on like NW 10th & Council that are always being lit on fire either by accident or on purpose and they just need to be bulldozed down.

I don't know if the city has any programs for dealing with these properties other than putting pressure on the property owners to clean them up or demolish them, and if they don't the city will do it and bill the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I don't know if the city has any programs for dealing with these properties other than putting pressure on the property owners to clean them up or demolish them, and if they don't the city will do it and bill the owners.
    The city planing department is looking into what they can do, often their had been histories of code violations but all the fines and property taxes are apparently not enough to get the property owners to either sell, fix or level the buildings.

That's pretty much been SOP for the city. That's why those properties are still standing. They are private properties. The city has a protocall that they have to follow before they can schedule demolition. The owners do just enough to stay ahead. It's just a big song and dance between the city and the property owners.

OKC tore down several complexes in the bust of the '80s I can remember. There were a couple on Melrose Lane near Rockwell, one that wrapped around the 7-11 at Rockwell and one further west on Melrose Lane. There was also one north of there on the west side of Rockwell across the street from the fire station. I do not believe any of these have been redeveloped. The City of the Village tore down a large complex on Manchester next to city hall a few years ago too.

Sure glad they tore down those nearly-depleted apartments in the Village over by the library . . .
    not sure how glad I am about the McClendonesque Clone Housing that replaced them, but only from a selfish, visual, archetectural-wannabe standpoint, of course ....=)

Do you suppose that the last rat-trap apartment complex with a faux-Mansard roof from the '70s would be eligible for Historic Protection so people can know what faux-Mansard means?

Why can't the city just claim imminent domain take the properties back tear them down and put the land up for
    Sale

Quote Originally Posted by the michigander View Post
    Why can't the city just claim imminent domain take the properties back tear them down and put the land up for
    Sale
    Imminent domain has typically not been used to take over property that has just deteriorated. It is normally a situation where the governing body already has a purpose in mind for the property besides speculation. The city has ordinances they can use, if they choose, to tear down delapidated buildings without imminent domain.

12. Default Re: Is there a history in OKC of depleted apartments being torn down??

Wasn't the SW corner of SE 29 and Sooner once a dilapidated apartment complex and is now a vacant lot and an On Cue?

Those would be the "Kristie" Apartments, and yes that's where the On Cue is.

Michigander - I'm guessing that you're pretty new to the forum. Do you have any thoughts on SE Michigan that you might share here that could be insightful?

Round these parts, we call it Eminent Domain . . . (well, some of us do . . . =)
    (i wonder if there a reason they haven't renamed it "Emineminet Domain" in Michigan? Or perhaps The Slim Shady Gambit . . .? =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Round these parts, we call it Eminent Domain . . . (well, some of us do . . . =)
    (i wonder if there a reason they haven't renamed it "Emineminet Domain" in Michigan? Or perhaps the Slim Shady Gambit . . .? =)
    What it's called depends on how imminent the eminent domain is.

I think the difference enters the picture when that deputy nails the notice to the door. =)
    (btw: eminent domain can easily be misused by corrupt governmental officials so i'm generally opposed to it. but you already knew that. =)

thanks for not nit-picking my misspelling of there's in my previous post. =)

and welcome aboard, michigander. us okies r notoriously friendly.

I lived in a very cool apt at the curve around NW 34th and Penn. They tore it down and filled in the swimming pool around 1970. Don't know what's there now but the apt is gone gone gone. Good times there.

QUOTE=Leigh Baby;618269]I lived in a very cool apt at the curve around NW 34th and Penn. They tore it down and filled in the swimming pool around 1970. Don't know what's there now but the apt is gone gone gone. Good times there.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the apartments that used to be on the east side of Penn, between 36th St and the curve by 39th? There were two apartment buildings there and they both were leveled . Aother apartment building built on half the lot, but it was never completed.

Thread Information