Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smashburger

Large Chain Smashburger

The Journal Record - Article

Smashburger plans to open several Tulsa, OKC stores
    by Heather Caliendo
    The Journal Record September 2, 2009

TULSA – Smashburger aims to sizzle in Oklahoma with plans to operate five stores in Tulsa and seven stores in Oklahoma City.

That is part of the company’s growth strategy to open more than 500 restaurants across the country.“We are going to have a very healthy presence in the state of Oklahoma – we like doing business there,” said Tom Ryan, founder of Smashburger. “There’s a lot of traction and energy in Oklahoma.”

The Denver-based fast-casual restaurant started in 2007 when Ryan said he was tired of an “ordinary” burger experience. After dedicating time to researching the burger industry, Ryan came up with a different cooking method in order to create what he called “the perfect burger.”

Smashburgers are either a one-third-pound or half-pound ball of 100-percent fresh Angus beef, smashed and seared on a flat grill to seal in flavors.
    “There is something magic about Angus beef and burger making,” said Ryan. “The way we process it is an honest-to-God smashing process.”

The Smashburger restaurant concept was launched with $15 million from private equity and the private investment firm Consumer Capital Partners. Shortly after launching in Colorado, the restaurant grew to 14 stores. The company operates on joint venture and franchise development deals.
    The size of each restaurant is between 1,600 to 2,000 square feet.
    “It’s a great economic model,” Ryan said. “It gives us a cozy-looking restaurant that works with dramatic art. Our rent is low and we turn out food fast.”

Opening a Smashburger restaurant costs almost $400,000, said Scott Crane, president of Smashburger. Each restaurant generates about $1.2 million in annual revenue.

The overall burger industry is a $1 billion business, said Crane.
    “It shows people like their burgers, right?” he said.

In an effort to become “every city’s favorite burger place,” they create a burger specific to the region’s taste. The Idaho Smashburger comes with potato chips, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and mayo on a potato bun.

“In Oklahoma we noticed a plethora of bars, restaurants and pubs have a lot of veggie-based fried stuff,” Ryan said. “We decided to take a side dish and turn it into a burger idea.”

That idea launched the OK Smashburger, which contains fried pickles, pepper jack cheese, haystack onions, lettuce, tomato and buttermilk ranch on an egg bun.

The first Smashburger in Tulsa opened in August at Tulsa Hills Shopping Center.

In response to positive sales and reception, the company decided to open a second Smashburger on 71st Street near the Cinemark IMAX Theater.
    Opening new restaurants in a down economy turned into a benefit for the company, said Crane.

The area around 71st Street in south Tulsa receives heavy traffic. Crane said three years ago the space might not have been available, but now real estate is more affordable.

“It’s a good time in an unfortunate economy,” he said. “We have great real estate, great people and it’s fulfilling a niche for the consumer.”

The price for a burger ranges from $4.99 to $6.99. The menu also includes side items, plus hot dogs and salads in addition to soft drinks, milk shakes and beer.

Ryan said most consumers are in and out of the restaurant in 22 minutes. He said unlike other fast-casual restaurants, the number of lunch and dinner patrons is pretty equal.

“We have a unique combination of price, quality and convenience, which allows us to come to Tulsa with modern offers,” Ryan said. “It’s a great town. We honestly think we can become Tulsa’s favorite burger.”

Default Re: Smashburger coming to OKC

Yet another burger hut. be still my beating heart. On the flip side, it's red meat, so yeah, I'm likely to give it a go or two once it's here or should I visit t town anytime soon.

The size of each restaurant is between 1,600 to 2,000 square feet.
    That's very small.

Sounds like they target strip shopping centers.

Sounds like fat sandwhich.

"We are going to have a very healthy presence in the state of Oklahoma"...said Tom Ryan, founder of Smashburger.
    Heh..."healthy". Points to Mr. Ryan for the clever irony.

6. Default Re: Smashburger coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    That's very small.

Sounds like they target strip shopping centers.
    It's a burger joint, of course the place does not have to be huge.

Just another fast-food place for the state of Oklahoma. The mayor's "city on a diet" is in jeopardy.

Smashburger, Cheeseburger Cheeseburger, 5 Guys Burgers, Fatburger - all the same concept. Smashburger is, I believe, the most expensive of the bunch. 5 Guys Burgers are the best value. I still say, unless its a local franchisee, support your local burger shack owner.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm krusty burger mmmmmm smashburger mmmm drooling mmmmmmm

HD's Onion Burger on 122nd and Rockwell prepares them the same way, with a ball of meat "smashed" by the spatula onto the grill. I'd be surprised if there weren't other small burger stands doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Free Won't View Post
    HD's Onion Burger on 122nd and Rockwell prepares them the same way, with a ball of meat "smashed" by the spatula onto the grill. I'd be surprised if there weren't other small burger stands doing the same thing.
    True, the process of throwing a ball of meat on the grill and smashing it is nothing new to me. All the El Reno burger joints do it this way as well as Coney Island in Stillwater

seven stores in Oklahoma City.

any ideas where?

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    seven stores in Oklahoma City.

any ideas where?
    Expect to see them locating near Penn and Quail Springs malls as well as other very high traffic areas.

quial springs mall area..
    interstate 40 am macarther area.
    I-35 probably in moore territory.
    one close to edmond ad i-35
    i-240 and penn area.
    mid-town area
    sooner and 240 area

Can you hear your ventricles slamming shut?

Did I read that right? 7 locations? Why don't they just start with 1 location? Sheesh. There are just too many burger places in the metro area, and plenty of already awesome local joints to compete with...wonder if this place has anything "special" to offer.

typical burger pix, way too much rabbit food stacked on to mess up a perfectly decent offering. It's like a flower behind a pretty girl's ear. Nice vase, but the flower was fine where it was growing to begin with.

17. Default Re: Smashburger coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    typical burger pix, way too much rabbit food stacked on to mess up a perfectly decent offering. It's like a flower behind a pretty girl's ear. Nice vase, but the flower was fine where it was growing to begin with.
    it is tough to do a beauty shot of a burger with just meat and cheese. the color of the veg is needed to help it stand out...the same reason they put bright colored clothes on a model...to complete the metaphor.

yeah, I know, but borrowing from your example, sometimes a simple sheath and a small gold necklace is all that's needed to catch the eye.

It's not that I never eat some rabbit food, but it rarely ever shares center stage. It's a personal preference but the pic above would be far more enticing with another chunk of meat in place of most of the veggies.

We tried one yesterday in Englewood, Colorado, it was in a strip mall right near the "Downtown Englewood" area. It was pretty good with a good variety.

I had a great burger in Norman today, at an auto parts place parking lot of all places.
    They were having a customer appreciation day, so a friend and I met some mechanic friends there. For a bunch of parts jockeys, they sure grilled up some nice grub.

Good Lord. I'm starving. Stop posting pictures designed me make me fat because I have to go stuff myself with whatever I can find in the fridge after seeing them.

There is no lettuce in my refrigerator but there is a jar of blue cheese. God help me. And God help my poor husband who is going to have a fat wife.

hmmm, now where did I store that photo of the cheesecake buffet ... I know I had it here somewhere

Okay, if you have to post it, I will just suffer. Hurry up.

24. Default Re: Smashburger coming to OKC

After having eaten there while living in Denver, my opinion is that Smashburger is good, but overpriced for what you get. If 5 Guys Burgers and Fries comes, a similar concept, you get a bigger burger and some of the best skin-on fries you will ever have.

5 Guys is excellent. I still think they are overpriced but the fries are excellent and you can get what you want on the burger. And I like their peanuts.

Thread Information