Widgets Magazine
Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

Default Re: Odot

OkDOT has posted the presentation although it is a bit weird with a ton of redundant images. They seem to be leaning towards the one way service roads which I'm glad to hear. Seems there were people there sharing similar concerns I posted about 1/2 miles bridges. Glad to see that was brought up.

Couple of pleasant surprises I noticed that they plan on capacity improvements which might include widening not sure. They also could extend the service further north. Another thing I'd like to see is the service roads go under 2nd. St. with connections.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/meeti...esentation.pdf

I was at that meeting also. They said that they only had the contract to look at the area between Memorial rd and 2nd st. (the engineering company) ODOT said that money is a big issue on a lot of this stuff. I asked about additional on and off ramps north of 2nd st. The addition of more service rds etc. Basically they haven't got to those questions yet. I think if they wait too long on some of them, and they do want to add off ramps/service rd to say Coffee creek to Waterloo, they will have to buy out some very expensive homes/subdivisions. I don't think the money will be there for that.

It may have already been discussed but...is it just me is or is the ODOT website a little difficult to find info on projects? For example, I was wanting to see any information about reworking Indian Hills road. From the home page at the site search bar i searched indian hills road (no quotes) and it had three results which didn't appear to have anything to do with Indian Hills Road. A search for "indian hills" (with quotes) has zero results. I then went to the link for the 8 year plan and seen from the little image which showed me I needed to pick the link for division 3. It opens a PDF and the first page doesn't even show I-35 on the map as a reference point. I went to page 2 as found I-35 but this page stopped at HWY 9 at the northern side. I then did a search for indian hills on the PDF and it took me back to page 1...after starting at the screen for a couple of minutes I seen what little box was highlighted. After zooming in to the box it appears the bridge will be done in FY2023. I'm sure the poor website design is justified to the budget cuts and such but it seems a bit complicated to find information about ongoing and upcoming projects. An intuitive interactive map would be really handy.

I agree they rely on PDFs to much to get their info out and unfortunately I don't think they are going to change it anytime soon.

On the Indian Hills subject I hate to see that it is 2023 but I had figured they would wait til Moore completed the 34th Street bridge to do anything with Indian Hills. It's terrible between 5:00 and 6:00. Can take up to 15 minutes to get to the other side sometimes after exiting I-35 Northbound.

7. Default Re: Odot

Note also that the 8-year plan is basically a list of "would be nice to haves," and in most cases the projects haven't even been funded, let alone designed or put out for bit. There's a lot of stuff that gets bumped from them or deferred. Usually when projects get closer to actually being reality they end up in easier-to-find places.

I think I have said this before, but OkDOT’s website is horrible. They design is meh, but the functionality and the ease to find projects could be much better, but that isn’t what gets me.

I have noticed here in California, in Texas, Oregan, Nevada, Florida, and Washington(I’m sure most states do but those are examples I know for sure do) that whenever a project is project is happening, they give you almost an overload of information. You get multiple renderings, flyover videos, maps and schematics that have been drawn to simplify the plans for the public(not for contractors), clear graphic timelines, and in a lot of cases they get their own websites that are updated almost daily.

OKDOT almost never posts anything remotely like that. When the OTA released the somewhat detailed maps of the turnpike alignments I was surprised. Then OkDOT posted a flyover video of the future rendered US-69 through Calera and it got me thinking that maybe they are VERY slowly moving towards this. It is also important to note that perhaps because this was a Tiger grant project, maybe they’re required to do it.

Whatever the case is, it would be nice if OkDOT gave each project their own page as soon as they’re announced with plans, meeting hearing materials/updates, renderings, flyover videos, and in the cases of larger projects like I-235/44 interchange, their own website. If you want an example of a good DOT webpage, look at this one: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I think I have said this before, but OkDOT’s website is horrible. They design is meh, but the functionality and the ease to find projects could be much better, but that isn’t what gets me.

I have noticed here in California, in Texas, Oregan, Nevada, Florida, and Washington(I’m sure most states do but those are examples I know for sure do) that whenever a project is project is happening, they give you almost an overload of information. You get multiple renderings, flyover videos, maps and schematics that have been drawn to simplify the plans for the public(not for contractors), clear graphic timelines, and in a lot of cases they get their own websites that are updated almost daily.

OKDOT almost never posts anything remotely like that. When the OTA released the somewhat detailed maps of the turnpike alignments I was surprised. Then OkDOT posted a flyover video of the future rendered US-69 through Calera and it got me thinking that maybe they are VERY slowly moving towards this. It is also important to note that perhaps because this was a Tiger grant project, maybe they’re required to do it.

Whatever the case is, it would be nice if OkDOT gave each project their own page as soon as they’re announced with plans, meeting hearing materials/updates, renderings, flyover videos, and in the cases of larger projects like I-235/44 interchange, their own website. If you want an example of a good DOT webpage, look at this one: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov
    Given the limited resources of the state budget, I don't think their website ranks high on their priority list.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    Given the limited resources of the state budget, I don't think their website ranks high on their priority list.
    That’s probably true, but how much could it costs to better inform the public and provide better renderings for projects? I don’t have the slightest clue when it comes to costs like that, but tons of others states have problems with properly funding their DOT’s and they still manage to find some funds to provide more information and have better websites.

11. Default Re: Odot

I know they have to go through studies but it seems like the idea of changing the access roads in Edmond to 1-way is kind ofva no-brainer.

Apparently OkDOT won’t be asking for any sort of budget increase this legislative season. I don’t know entirely how I feel about that. OkDOT needs more than double its current budget to really make any large scale impact in Oklahoma.

http://journalrecord.com/2019/01/02/...rom-lawmakers/

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Apparently OkDOT won’t be asking for any sort of budget increase this legislative season. I don’t know entirely how I feel about that. OkDOT needs more than double its current budget to really make any large scale impact in Oklahoma.

http://journalrecord.com/2019/01/02/...rom-lawmakers/
    I believe Patterson's emphasis is on keeping the Legislature from diverting any more transportation funding into general revenue for appropriation to other agencies.

I-40 and SH-6 will become the site of the first DDI in the state. Construction starts later this year and should wrap up in September 2020.

https://www.ok.gov/odot/What's_New/I...terchange.html

There’s one of these down the street from me in Colorado Springs. Fillmore and I-25. I’m not convinced they are any better than a normal interchange, but they are kinda weird to drive through anyhow.

So people can navigate this hot mess, but a circle is just too confusing?

Wasn’t one of those planned for Waterloo road and I-35?

^^^ it still is. OkDOT delayed that project but I think they might expedite it.

19. Default Re: Odot

I hope we use some really good paint on the road marking so drivers can follow.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    I hope we use some really good paint on the road marking so drivers can follow.
    The impression I got from the video is the lanes don't change, the road itself does. As it is a divided road, lane marking shouldn't matter. Supposedly it will be harder somehow to enter in the wrong direction, but as there have been three stories in the last week of people right here in the OKC metro driving the wrong way on an interstate, I'm dubious.

tl;dr: Naw, we'll still use the cheapest paint Walmart has to mark the lanes. And then water it down before using it.

It’s pretty hard to get on the wrong side of the road in these. Just coincidentally went through the one at I-25 and Filmore, the lanes are protected and force you left of center. In this on there are two bridge spans, so it would take some really screwed up driving to end up in the opposite side. On that note, maybe it’s very possible

22. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    The impression I got from the video is the lanes don't change, the road itself does. As it is a divided road, lane marking shouldn't matter. Supposedly it will be harder somehow to enter in the wrong direction, but as there have been three stories in the last week of people right here in the OKC metro driving the wrong way on an interstate, I'm dubious.

tl;dr: Naw, we'll still use the cheapest paint Walmart has to mark the lanes. And then water it down before using it.
    Dark, no lights, bad paint, throw in some rain, I hear ya. ��

Driving at night with any kind of wetness on the road is a nightmare on any street here.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Driving at night with any kind of wetness on the road is a nightmare on any street here.
    The absolute worst instance of this, IMO, is heading west on NW 23rd underneath I-235.

So does the I-35 & I-240 construction start or complete in FY2021?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C65E3291-8AF5-4529-B121-81C7E064ACD7.jpeg 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	15196

Thread Information