Widgets Magazine

Thread: Lincoln of Edmond

Far North Lincoln of Edmond

Joe Cooper Lincoln is moving from its current location at 616 W. Memorial to a new site on the NW corner of Memorial and Walker.

Default Re: Lincoln of Edmond

Still funny to me that businesses in North OKC still claim "Edmond" in their name but they're in OKC limits.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Still funny to me that businesses in North OKC still claim "Edmond" in their name but they're in OKC limits.
    Your *postal* address can be Edmond, even if your *actual* address is in OKC city limits. We lived on NW 162nd Ter, in OKC, had OKC utilities, but the mailing address was Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Your *postal* address can be Edmond, even if your *actual* address is in OKC city limits. We lived on NW 162nd Ter, in OKC, had OKC utilities, but the mailing address was Edmond.
    Yep. Postal addresses mean nothing around OKC, with it being so large.

The main thing is that OKC gets a massive amount of sales tax from this and many other dealerships, including all those along Broadway Extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The main thing is that OKC gets a massive amount of sales tax from this and many other dealerships, including all those along Broadway Extension.
    Exactly. There isn’t any new car dealership that is in actual Edmond city limits. Most people just assume anything north of memorial/kilpatrick as edmond

^

Even the newish Mercedes/Volvo dealership at the north end of all those car lots is still in OKC.

The sales tax would come from service and parts only, though, not auto sales. Still, fairly significant.

You bring up a good point. I think all of the dealerships are in OKC City Limits, with the KIA Dealership being the closest and sits right on the OKC side of the edge of city limits. Outside of a few small corner used car lots, does Edmond really not have any car dealerships in its city limits? Has to be a reason why with the development and history of the town.

As for the dealerships taking the Edmond name. It helps with locating the dealership since OKC is so massive, plus I am sure there is a certain population that thinks the "Edmond" decal on the back of their car with the dealer's name carries some prestige. (If you were a hypothetical luxury car dealership on the north side of May/Britton, wouldn't you want to call yourself JOHN DOE DEALER of Nichols Hills instead of The Village?

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Yep, that’s what some folks call “Fake Edmond.” But it’s a great area for developers: less nimby opposition and less red tape / zoning requirements than what you’d find in Edmond proper, but you still benefit from the strong household incomes. Big reason why the tracts north of QS Mall are exploding with development.

Blog Entries

I think it has more to do with what Post Office is yours and the school district, etc than some assumed snob appeal. Seems like OKCityans have a chip on their shoulder about Edmond.

Worst thing about Edmond is their history as a white flight community.

I'm trying to read the tea leaves on this and having a little trouble fully figuring it out. Looks like Cooper bought the existing property for retail about 10 years ago when they bought the dealership from the Reynolds people. They bought the new location from Group One (the company that owns the dealerships that say Bob Howard in the title) last year. I'm guessing Group One has had it land banked and decided it no longer fit their plans. That's easy enough.

But, what's gonna happen with the old location? I think the investment in the property makes it almost impossible to do anything other than a dealership, yet car makers want highways for new locations nowadays. My best guess is that Joe Cooper is going with a new, or new to market brand that isn't fixated on traffic count. I don't think they are selling, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    But, what's gonna happen with the old location? I think the investment in the property makes it almost impossible to do anything other than a dealership, yet car makers want highways for new locations nowadays. My best guess is that Joe Cooper is going with a new, or new to market brand that isn't fixated on traffic count. I don't think they are selling, but I could be wrong.
    My bet is that Cooper will expand their Ford dealership which is right next door.

Their facility is pretty small for Ford, especially with all the new EV's coming to market.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My bet is that Cooper will expand their Ford dealership which is right next door.

Their facility is pretty small for Ford, especially with all the new EV's coming to market.
    Shows how rarely I drive that stretch. I believe you are 100% correct

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Shows how rarely I drive that stretch. I believe you are 100% correct
    I bet they convert the existing Lincoln building into one for used cars.

Or, they may build a new Ford building on that site (probably due for an upgrade) then convert the existing Ford dealership to used cars.

I went to Tulsa on the Turnpike recently and was surprised at what appears to be a smaller-ish Ford dealership with Joe Cooper name at one of the exits, I think it was Wellston maybe (but way before you get to Chandler). I was surprised because I assumed that this is a quite rural area.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    I went to Tulsa on the Turnpike recently and was surprised at what appears to be a smaller-ish Ford dealership with Joe Cooper name at one of the exits, I think it was Wellston maybe (but way before you get to Chandler). I was surprised because I assumed that this is a quite rural area.
    Ford mainly sells trucks and that is the heart of F-150 country.

Thread Information