Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: State Fairgrounds

Default Re: State Fairgrounds

Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    As I remarked on another thread, the word will be that space needle ridership is way down over the past two years (ignore that it was closed), so obviously it's no longer an attraction, doesn't fit the desired image (whatever that is), and needs to go. As some might say, "hear me now; believe me later."
    From the video it looks like it is being converted to a tall 360 degree electric billboard with a water feature at the base, my guess the argument will go something like: the parts for maintaining the elevator are no longer made

I like it and think it should be made operational and stay. But, that's my opinion.

They just released new renderings and more specific plans for the massive new expo building for the State Fairgrounds.

This is a $44 million 280,000 square foot project, and the plan is to start construction in October of 2014:

At what point to the powers that be just put an end to the fair as we know it? I mean, surely that's on someone's unstated agenda.

I mean, let's be honest - there's really nothing left, particularly after this thing goes in. And from the looks of it, this thing will gobble up most of the midway, so what I believe has been the ultimate goal of the power brokers over the fair for the last decade or so - to get rid of it - is finally being realized.

No real point in maintaining and pretense otherwise at this point, is there?

I realize to some a slew of new buildings constitutes progress, and in some way I suppose it is, but the elimination of the fair in the process (in my book) is anything but.

I fully expect some dismissive announcement in the coming weeks or months issued under the pretense of great sadness and reluctance that the "financials just don't add up" and the "liabilities were getting too high" to have a fair (or similar words to that effect) and that'll be that. I note that construction on this thing starts after what would be next year's fair, so they could have a whole year to celebrate its demise.

Believe it or not, fair attendance has been at near records over the last few years.

Obviously, it's changed quite a bit but that's probably true of all fairs.

And of course, the fair is only in town for a couple of weeks, which leaves 50 weeks where there is the opportunity to bring in various types of shows and events. They seem to be experiencing some good success in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And of course, the fair is only in town for a couple of weeks, which leaves 50 weeks where there is the opportunity to bring in various types of shows and events. They seem to be experiencing some good success in those areas.
    Exactly what I was going to say.

The original amount allotted from the MAPS 3 vote was $60 million for State Fairgrounds Improvements. Is the other $16 million going toward something else at the state fairgrounds, another project entirely, other?

They are doing a bunch of parking improvements and will be implementing new signage as well.

They are doing a bunch of parking improvements and will be implementing new signage as well.
    Would it be safe to assume the old racetrack will be turned into parking?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I believe that is the plan.

I believe that is the plan.
    Wow, I was really hoping for a possibility of F1 racing here. . . Wasn't this one of the proposed locations?

The fair got Pei'ed.

12. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

In the past I've heard the fairgrounds folks say they have 1000+ event days annually (meaning separate events booked on the same day count as separate event days). There is an event going on at the fairgrounds nearly every day of the year, with only a few days of those being the actual fair.

I'm with you in lamenting some of the things that I am sentimental about going by the wayside - personally I miss the track, the grandstand, the monorail, AND A WHOLE FREAKING WEEK of the fair - but the State Fair is only a part of what goes on out there and these additions will greatly increase/insure events and visitors and visitor $$$.

And there are still plenty of areas for easy relocation of that portion of the midway. Wouldn't be the first time that happened.

I guess there aiming to finish within a year after the 2014 season ends?

While it was not surprising there has been changes from some earlier designs released, the exterior seems to have taken a step to being less interesting and even worse they have moved the loading docks, kitchen and operations areas from being on the side by overflow parking to being a bit of a barrier between it and the rest of the fairgrounds.

oops: double post

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    While it was not surprising there has been changes from some earlier designs released, the exterior seems to have taken a step to being less interesting and even worse they have moved the loading docks, kitchen and operations areas from being on the side by overflow parking to being a bit of a barrier between it and the rest of the fairgrounds.
    Yeah, I noticed that too, what about the giant tv's? I guess that is not happening.

That building looks dated and it hasn't even been built yet. I hope that the city didn't pay the architect much for those designs. It's like a huge wal-mart.

The official names for the one in OKC is the State Fair of Oklahoma. The one in Tulsa is the Tulsa State Fair.

They are both considered "state fairs". I don't think there is much difference other than the names.
    Actually, when Skip Wagner took over the fair back in the 2000's, prior to Tim O'Toole, the name was changed from State Fair of Oklahoma to Oklahoma State Fair.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    At what point to the powers that be just put an end to the fair as we know it? I mean, surely that's on someone's unstated agenda.

I mean, let's be honest - there's really nothing left, particularly after this thing goes in. And from the looks of it, this thing will gobble up most of the midway, so what I believe has been the ultimate goal of the power brokers over the fair for the last decade or so - to get rid of it - is finally being realized.

No real point in maintaining and pretense otherwise at this point, is there?

I realize to some a slew of new buildings constitutes progress, and in some way I suppose it is, but the elimination of the fair in the process (in my book) is anything but.

I fully expect some dismissive announcement in the coming weeks or months issued under the pretense of great sadness and reluctance that the "financials just don't add up" and the "liabilities were getting too high" to have a fair (or similar words to that effect) and that'll be that. I note that construction on this thing starts after what would be next year's fair, so they could have a whole year to celebrate its demise.
    Why the negative post? This will be a nice new building that will replae a bunch of old run down buildings. RIP! The midway will still be there. It's just going to move over to the racetrack site.

A great chunk of the old race track will become parking, which will also become a big portion of the midway once the new expo building is built.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Why the negative post? This will be a nice new building that will replae a bunch of old run down buildings. RIP! The midway will still be there. It's just going to move over to the racetrack site.
    The buildings aren't the problem, the destruction of the fairgrounds most certainly IS a negative. The trend is to turn the fairgrounds into a convention center. New buildings are great. What we've torn down to gain them...not so much. We had a distinctive fairgrounds area with unique features. Not anymore...its rapidly becoming just a bunch of buildings. Yay.

Since so much emphasis is placed on the apparently much superior value of the convention space and convention-type events that can be hosted, and that so many thousands of days and hours are spent on convention-related activities, I'm simply pushing the obvious - let's just drop the pretense that anyone cares about the fair and just drop it. That's two more weeks of convention space/rental that will make more money, which is obviously the only objective at hand going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Actually, when Skip Wagner took over the fair back in the 2000's, prior to Tim O'Toole, the name was changed from State Fair of Oklahoma to Oklahoma State Fair.
    Wagner was the first domino to fall in the demise of the fairgrounds many years ago. The changes, as they often do, started slowly, but by the time folks who cared were organized enough to pay attention and get at least some media focus on everything he was tearing up, it was largely too late. The cannas, the Made in Oklahoma building, Cottonwood Plaza, the Giant Slide, the 14 Flags plaza, the monorail, the flowers building...all the things that have been destroyed or repurposed all started back with him. And I fully realize he was brought in by the powers that be to do precisely that.

I won't swear to this, but I believe he left right when the media attention started to a bit negative on the changes, and he resigned and went back to Texas.

We didn't have to have a scorched earth approach. We didn't have to have a culture war from the mayor's office that started with the condescension of the fair having a "funnel cakes and corndog" image, but that's what we got. Yes, many of these buildings and sites needed attention. Just as certainly, however, there could have been a cooperative effort to maintain what was great and unique about the fair into the 21st century, but the conventioneers won, and in have come the bulldozers. It's just a great loss for OKC.

But we've got cool new buildings, so I guess I'm supposed to be happy.

yay.

HangryHippo Guest

The buildings aren't the problem, the destruction of the fairgrounds most certainly IS a negative. The trend is to turn the fairgrounds into a convention center. New buildings are great. What we've torn down to gain them...not so much. We had a distinctive fairgrounds area with unique features. Not anymore...its rapidly becoming just a bunch of buildings. Yay.

Since so much emphasis is placed on the apparently much superior value of the convention space and convention-type events that can be hosted, and that so many thousands of days and hours are spent on convention-related activities, I'm simply pushing the obvious - let's just drop the pretense that anyone cares about the fair and just drop it. That's two more weeks of convention space/rental that will make more money, which is obviously the only objective at hand going forward.

Wagner was the first domino to fall in the demise of the fairgrounds many years ago. The changes, as they often do, started slowly, but by the time folks who cared were organized enough to pay attention and get at least some media focus on everything he was tearing up, it was largely too late. The cannas, the Made in Oklahoma building, Cottonwood Plaza, the Giant Slide, the 14 Flags plaza, the monorail, the flowers building...all the things that have been destroyed or repurposed all started back with him. And I fully realize he was brought in by the powers that be to do precisely that.

I won't swear to this, but I believe he left right when the media attention started to a bit negative on the changes, and he resigned and went back to Texas.

We didn't have to have a scorched earth approach. We didn't have to have a culture war from the mayor's office that started with the condescension of the fair having a "funnel cakes and corndog" image, but that's what we got. Yes, many of these buildings and sites needed attention. Just as certainly, however, there could have been a cooperative effort to maintain what was great and unique about the fair into the 21st century, but the conventioneers won, and in have come the bulldozers. It's just a great loss for OKC.

But we've got cool new buildings, so I guess I'm supposed to be happy.

yay.
    I agree completely. The plazas, the monorail, the airplanes, the grandstands, those were all the things that made the fair the fair. It just sucks what has happened. I equate it somewhat to what's going on with a lot of OKC's commercial centers. You lose what's funky and what made it unique and we wind up with another strip mall that looks the same as every other strip mall in every other city. It's lame and we're lesser for it.

I have to agree that no matter how functional this building may be, it has the appearance of a warehouse or another horse barn.
    Advisory board reviews State Fair Park expo center design | News OK

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I have to agree that no matter how functional this building may be, it has the appearance of a warehouse or another horse barn.
    Advisory board reviews State Fair Park expo center design | News OK
    Its pretty much a bigger version of the travel and transportation building AFTER they removed the air roof. Not as exciting as the preliminary designs. Hope this isn't a sign for things to come with the Convention Center.

I too blamed good ol' Skip for the demise and had high hopes for a reversal of what had been started when he was here...but I discovered that he wasn't the problem (he was just the public face). As you stated, the behind the scenes "powers that be" were the issue and namely a person by the name of Clay Bennett

Thread Information