Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 595

Thread: State Fairgrounds

  1. #26

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    The Transportation Building, Carriage Hall and the courtyard between them will all be demolished.


    Time for Friends for a Better Fairgrounds?

  2. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Transportation Building, Carriage Hall and the courtyard between them will all be demolished.


    Time for Friends for a Better Fairgrounds?
    Darn. Really kinda hoped I'd been wrong on that one. Like I said, scorched earth.

  3. #28

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    To address several points:

    The fairgrounds building will be FLEX space for things like car shows and landscaping expos with heavy machinery in use on the floor. The convention center will be professional meeting space and grand hall dinner space with carpet and nice finishes. Two completely different concepts. Both really needed for OKC.

    I almost fell out of my chair when I read that we should try and save the travel and transportation building! (although that wouldn't be the first time that happened by reading a post on here)
    They have done their best to rehab that space, but it is dreadful from the interior, to the bathrooms, to the appeal of the exterior. Wow.. I just can't believe someone wants to salvage it.

    This WILL be a game changer for the fairgrounds, and I love the rendering.

  4. #29

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Yes, the Transportation Building is really dreadful.

    Perhaps they can relocate the items in the courtyard.

  5. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, the Transportation Building is really dreadful.

    Perhaps they can relocate the items in the courtyard.
    Yes, just to clarify, that was what I was hoping for...some preservation of those items, very little point in tossing big $ in saving the building itself

  6. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    That said, I have some good concert memories of the T&T building. Pearl Jam/Urge Overkill; Nirvana/Breeders/Shonen Knife; Public Image Ltd/Big Audio Dynamite II/Live/Blind Melon; Smashing Pumpkins. I saw all of those bands there. I will tip my cap to the T&T building when it comes down.
    NOTICE: I WORK FOR A DOWNTOWN TOURIST ATTRACTION

  7. #32

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Yes, for a number of years (at least throughout the 80's) a group of friends always organized a huge Halloween party there as well.

    I'm always sad to see any of my history go but in this case that building was really, really rough even 30 years ago.

  8. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Actually, when I think about it some more, that last show might actually have been in a different building at the fairgrounds. Yeah, tear the sucker down.
    NOTICE: I WORK FOR A DOWNTOWN TOURIST ATTRACTION

  9. #34

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Nirvana also played there in 1993. Love everyone of those bands you listed, Urbanized.


    Just goes to show the sad state of OKC music venues in the 80's and 90's.

  10. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    I can't find it right now, but the "duplication" of convention center space was brought up during the campaign (maybe in one of the "Breaking Through" luncheons?) and as others have pointed out, they serve different cliental. Similar to the duplication going on with the MAPS 3 Park and the Myriad Gardens...many of the same items but a difference in the scope of crowds each can handle.

    In reading some history about the original MAPS, there was opposition by the Meridian motel corridor in revamping the Cox with MAPS. they were afraid that it would take business from them so plans were made even back then to beef up the Fairgrounds facilities to get them onboard with MAPS. That thought process seems to be intact.

  11. #36

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    The Oklahoma State Fair is dead. Nothing of interest to most people is left. All that is there are things that attract a "low life" element of gangbangers, teenagers looking for an excuse to get drunk and laid, and people who generally look like they just crawled out from under a rock. The Kansas and Texas state fairs are light years ahead of the joke Oklahoma calls a state fair.

  12. #37

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    I guess they are completely shutting the door on fixing the space needle since they are planing to make a reflecting pool around it with no pedestrian connection

  13. #38

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    The Oklahoma State Fair is dead. Nothing of interest to most people is left. All that is there are things that attract a "low life" element of gangbangers, teenagers looking for an excuse to get drunk and laid, and people who generally look like they just crawled out from under a rock. The Kansas and Texas state fairs are light years ahead of the joke Oklahoma calls a state fair.
    REALLY!?!? Did you go to the fair this year? It looked just like the fair in Texas as far number of people go. I think the state fair is alive and well but thats me.

  14. #39

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    The Kansas and Texas state fairs are light years ahead of the joke Oklahoma calls a state fair.
    I have been to the Texas State Fair over 40 times while attending the OU-Texas game. I never saw anything there that made me say WOW. It's basically what you would see at the Oklahoma State Fair.

  15. #40

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I have been to the Texas State Fair over 40 times while attending the OU-Texas game. I never saw anything there that made me say WOW. It's basically what you would see at the Oklahoma State Fair.

    Yup.. They basically haul around the same crap to every state fair around the country.

  16. #41

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Yup.. They basically haul around the same crap to every state fair around the country.
    Even the Tulsa State Fair?

    Hehehe.

  17. #42

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    I almost fell out of my chair when I read that we should try and save the travel and transportation building! (although that wouldn't be the first time that happened by reading a post on here)
    They have done their best to rehab that space, but it is dreadful from the interior, to the bathrooms, to the appeal of the exterior. Wow.. I just can't believe someone wants to salvage it.

    This WILL be a game changer for the fairgrounds, and I love the rendering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, the Transportation Building is really dreadful.

    Perhaps they can relocate the items in the courtyard.
    I hated to see the monorail and racetrack go. I will hate to see the needle have a similar fate. But the Transportation building is just a metal building pretty much like any other metal building. And one which needs a lot of work. It has no architectural or historical significance. It will be a good thing for it to be replaced with something larger with new mechanical elements.

    I was at the south side of the fairgrounds a few days ago and saw what I think is the rocket that was in the courtyard laying on it's side by a parking lot. I didn't really pay any attention then but now I'm going to go by and double check.

  18. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail
    I hated to see the monorail and racetrack go. I will hate to see the needle have a similar fate.
    Is it a given they're going to rip the Needle down? Is there even a glimmer of hope we can save the thing, or are TPTB bent on destroying it, too?

  19. #44

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Even the Tulsa State Fair?

    Hehehe.
    That is the one I have never understood... which one is the "real" state fair of Oklahoma.

  20. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    That is the one I have never understood... which one is the "real" state fair of Oklahoma.
    Since we don't call ours the Oklahoma City State Fair, I would say that ours is the "real" state fair and Tulsans think they are their own state, with their own state fair...LOL

  21. #46

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    The official names for the one in OKC is the State Fair of Oklahoma. The one in Tulsa is the Tulsa State Fair.

    They are both considered "state fairs". I don't think there is much difference other than the names.

  22. #47

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Perhaps it began as the Tulsa State of Mind Fair, but then bumper sticker ink got more expensive?

    Went parade marching and then fairolicking every year 8th grade - senior year. All in all, not a bad gig for a teenager.

  23. #48

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    I guess regional fair does not have the same ring to it, it is not as if we are the only state with multiple cities holding it's own

  24. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I guess regional fair does not have the same ring to it, it is not as if we are the only state with multiple cities holding it's own
    And I bet "City Wide Carnival Featuring Games and Politically Incorrect Clowns On Dunk Tanks And Really Greasy Good Food" just wouldn't fit on a banner

  25. #50

    Default Re: State Fairgrounds

    As I remarked on another thread, the word will be that space needle ridership is way down over the past two years (ignore that it was closed), so obviously it's no longer an attraction, doesn't fit the desired image (whatever that is), and needs to go. As some might say, "hear me now; believe me later."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. BOOK FAIR State Fairgrounds
    By BiggThunda in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2011, 08:52 PM
  2. Halloween at the State Fairgrounds
    By Keith in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 05:09 PM
  3. Buried Car at OKC Fairgrounds
    By Vintage BMX'er in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 07:22 PM
  4. City to Collect Ammo, computers, and tires at Fairgrounds.
    By Keith in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 09:17 PM
  5. Fairgrounds Garage Sale
    By Oki_Man5 in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2006, 07:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO