Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: State Fairgrounds

Blog Entries

Default Re: State Fairgrounds

We need to be inspired by our FAIRGROUNDS? Maybe it is just me, but I have never been to a city and have anyone ever say "you need to go by and see our fairgrounds...it is sooooo coool!". Do a quick Google picture search of fairgrounds and nothing inspirational comes up. I could be wrong, but most fairgrounds seem to be pretty functional and not great urban neighborhoods. The ICONs most cities have invested in are not at fairgrounds. If I am wrong, please show me.

I do agree with Pete, ours is pretty blah. How many steel buildings can we tolerate in this city...fairgrounds or anywhere else.

If everyone didn't insist on the new soccer stadium/complex be in downtown, the fairgrounds might be well served to promote it there. Lots of spare land, lots of parking, and at the junction of highways. It would give another reason for the grounds to exist other than for horses and high school tournaments.

So what is the fairgrounds doing on the NW10th and May side near the street?

It Looks like a large walkway that a car or 4 wheeler could drive on>

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
    So what is the fairgrounds doing on the NW10th and May side near the street?

It Looks like a large walkway that a car or 4 wheeler could drive on>
    It's the Will Rogers Bike Trail, that is part of MAPS 3.

When complete, it will go all the way from Lake Hefner to the river, and tie into the river trails just off of May to the south of the fairgrounds.

Blog Entries

I hope people don't park on it during the fair

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    We need to be inspired by our FAIRGROUNDS? Maybe it is just me, but I have never been to a city and have anyone ever say "you need to go by and see our fairgrounds...it is sooooo coool!". Do a quick Google picture search of fairgrounds and nothing inspirational comes up. I could be wrong, but most fairgrounds seem to be pretty functional and not great urban neighborhoods. The ICONs most cities have invested in are not at fairgrounds. If I am wrong, please show me.

I do agree with Pete, ours is pretty blah. How many steel buildings can we tolerate in this city...fairgrounds or anywhere else.

If everyone didn't insist on the new soccer stadium/complex be in downtown, the fairgrounds might be well served to promote it there. Lots of spare land, lots of parking, and at the junction of highways. It would give another reason for the grounds to exist other than for horses and high school tournaments.
    Blame the recent (say, last 10-15 years or so) for plowing down the buildings, tearing up the flowers, destroying the plazas, plugging the fountains, and basically razing and ripping down just about everything else that did, in fact, make the fairgrounds distinctive in its own way. We couldn't have done a better job with mortars.

In case you've seen the construction from the freeway, it's for an RV park as part of the fairgrounds.

The rumors have been revealed to be true. Events at the fairground, which have already been fleeing in search of other venues, will now do so in greater number.

http://newsok.com/fairgrounds-to-cha...rticle/5569643

On the one hand, I'm fine with it because they'll make serious bank on the almost-weekly gun and knife shows alone. On the other hand, the Friends of the Library has already been looking for either a different place to hold the annual book sale, or a different way of holding it. Super! BitCon has already said they won't be back at the fairgrounds. One is left to wonder if this fee will offset the number of event holders who now will not consider holding their event at the fairgrounds.

Ugh.

If the fairgrounds is going to start charging for parking on their lots, then it's time to crack down on letting people park on the grass and unpaved areas for various events, especially around the fair itself. It's completely illegal to do so.

9. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

If they make parking have a cost, then i definitely wont attend events there. Way to go, you just ensured that you are going to lose events. Idiots. This isn't downtown, it's the sprawling surface lot land that is the fairgrounds. Charging for parking there is just crazy.

Blog Entries

Why is it that we have so many who want the city, state, fed to upgrade everything yet want it for free? No taxes, no fees. Maybe if we proved we can afford a buck or two maybe there would be a little more commitment to upgrading facilities, including parking areas.

Why is it that we have so many who want the city, state, fed to upgrade everything yet want it for free? No taxes, no fees. Maybe if we proved we can afford a buck or two maybe there would be a little more commitment to upgrading facilities, including parking areas.
    They have received almost $100 million from taxpayers through MAPS all in the name of generating more future revenue and economic development.

In MAPS 3, $4.5 million (!) was spent on parking alone.

Yet, at every turn, they want more money from taxpayers as they are already ramping up for a new arena, etc.

How does this compare to other state fairgrounds. I seem to remember you hae to pay at Texas State Fair in Dallas. I know you do in Malibu. Seems fair to pay in OKC too. I support this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They have received almost $100 million from taxpayers through MAPS all in the name of generating more future revenue and economic development.

In MAPS 3, $4.5 million (!) was spent on parking alone.

Yet, at every turn, they want more money from taxpayers as they are already ramping up for a new arena, etc.
    Paying for parking is normal everywhere.
    Yes Maps passed and helps us get to almost where other cities have been.

Paying for parking outside of downtown in OKC is nearly unheard of.

Paying for parking outside of downtown in OKC is nearly unheard of.
    How long do you think that is going to last for? As I’m sure you know, it’s relatively easy to get free parking in LA for almost anywhere outside of DTLA as long as you validate. Even new places in LA have free parking for an hour if you validate.

16. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

Given how much the city already feeds into the fairgrounds, i just can't see why they are being "forced" into this. They are making a conscious decision to do this....dont look at it in any other way, they just want more cash flow. Never mind that we've paid millions upon millions to get them barn after barn for all those damned horses. They could easily take an extra dollar for entrance fees and no one would be the wiser. Like with airplanes, throw it in the ticket and you dont really notice, throw it on as an extra fee and the public goes crazy. It's all about how you present it, and this one is a fail.

People in OKC do not want to pay to park. We understand it downtown, as Pete said, because its a urban squeezed world where you have to go vertical to fit it all. The fairgrounds does not have that problem. If they think people are going to happily cough up $5 to park for the train show with their kids, think again.

Charge for those R.V. hookups. It makes sense since we're providing a service that requires maintenance. But parking? Hell, it didn't bother them when the lots had potholes the size of Texas. They eventually mixed the repairs in with the Expo hall (which i still think is a failed design...one entrance and using columns instead of being able to have a fully open floor). So explain what the need to collect that fee is now that the lots have been repaired?

If you want a good comparison, check out the number of people that pay to park at the actual Fair compared to the grass lot folks. I'd rather walk another 1/4 mile than pay and it looks like the majority feel that way. So why not use that approach? Rope of sections nearest the building as pay parking and let the next lot out be free like always. Make it flexible so we dont have structures to maintain either...ie parking booths.

I have a feeling the city will also be a lot less likely to support any more Maps/Bond projects if they pursue this. The fairgrounds seem to be like Oliver Twist...."please sir can i have some more".

And why is it that anyone who expresses opposition to a fee or tax is implicitly some sort of social parasite who wants some thing for "free?" Last time I checked, MAPS wasn't funded by some generous benefactor, but by taxpayers who will now get the privilege of paying to park at a place they've paid for...parasites!

I will also add the fairgrounds added acres and acres of parking funded by taxpayers through MAPS 3 and then got an exception from city codes to completely forgo any trees or landscaping.

This is a real hot button for me... It's absolutely hideous. And now they want to charge people for something already paid for by tax dollars?

Look at this ocean of parking without a single tree or shrub. They also cut all the landscaping from the Expo building project.

A tree takes up a valuable $5 spot, why are you so anti-capitalism?

I think if you have an OKC address on your Driv. Lic parking should be free.

Blog Entries

Apparently there's something they want to build at Fair Park besides the new arena. Probably something that voters wouldn't approve thru MAPS or Go-bonds. They want to have a huge nest egg to fund these particular projects in addition to maintaining some capital for operations . Notice that an emphasis has been put on parking inside the Core & Fair Park.

OKC voters are fed up with funding Fair Park through MAPS; this is one of the reasons why you didn't see the new State Fair Arena on the September 12 General Obligation Bonds initiative or on the MAPS III two year extension vote to fund safety (Police & Fire).

I noticed going to work the other day, they seem to be disassembling the sign on the west side near the highway. Tearing out yet another inconvenient part?

So Oklahoma city has a nice new stock yards facility. That is all that the fairgrounds have become is a morass of endless barns and empty space. Well done Oklahoma city, well done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    And why is it that anyone who expresses opposition to a fee or tax is implicitly some sort of social parasite who wants some thing for "free?" Last time I checked, MAPS wasn't funded by some generous benefactor, but by taxpayers who will now get the privilege of paying to park at a place they've paid for...parasites!
    We aren't parasites, but we are cheap.

Blog Entries

I will also add the fairgrounds added acres and acres of parking funded by taxpayers through MAPS 3 and then got an exception from city codes to completely forgo any trees or landscaping.

This is a real hot button for me... It's absolutely hideous. And now they want to charge people for something already paid for by tax dollars?

Look at this ocean of parking without a single tree or shrub. They also cut all the landscaping from the Expo building project.

Pete, you know that if we tried to actually pay to have all the nice amenities we wouldn't get things funded. We like big and cheap as opposed to smaller and nicer. Drive around OKC and you will see that in many, many neighborhoods landscaping is totally optional. Oklahoma has always had a very utilitarian mindset. People hate to pay for art (especially public art), landscaping, ornamentation, etc. We make it big and useful, but aesthetics has always been optional.

Our public entities will make aesthetics a priority if our private self does too. Til anyone but a few people give a darn, then why expect our leadership to?

Pete, you know that if we tried to actually pay to have all the nice amenities we wouldn't get things funded. We like big and cheap as opposed to smaller and nicer. Drive around OKC and you will see that in many, many neighborhoods landscaping is totally optional. Oklahoma has always had a very utilitarian mindset. People hate to pay for art (especially public art), landscaping, ornamentation, etc. We make it big and useful, but aesthetics has always been optional.

Our public entities will make aesthetics a priority if our private self does too. Til anyone but a few people give a darn, then why expect our leadership to?
    Through MAPS, taxpayers have poured tens of millions into the fairgrounds.

They also get the majority of all hotel taxes collected by the City.

They get TONS of money from taxpayers already and are getting ready to ask us to pay for a new arena.

And what do we get in return? Getting charged for parking we already paid for? Non existent landscaping? Allowing people to park in the grass and dirt against City ordinances?

I ride my bike through there and the whole place is borderline embarrassing. I seriously question how this entire facility is being managed and where all the revenues it generates are being spent.

Thread Information