Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Slice House

Default Re: Kilroy's (old Coin Laundry)

Quote Originally Posted by THATgirl View Post
    Which Tulsa bars do you like and what about them would you like to see in OKC? From Tulsa. Went there recently and visited a few new spots. Interested in your take on it.
    I may have meant more restaurant & bars than just bars but Ill list some out.

Restaurant & bars: White Owl, Leons, Yokozuna, Smoke, Mi Cocina, R Bar, Docs, Cosmos, Wolfgang Pucks Bistro.

Bars: Vintage 1740, The Max, Cellar Dwellar (more of a dive)

Tulsas places just seem to be a little cleaner, nicer and definitely less smokey.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Any chance we'll see your breakfast concept resurface elsewhere??
    I'd love to say yes, but am unsure as of now. I have a rather large tumor in the shape of a recording studio sucking all of my money up at the moment. But, I'm kind of insatiably entrepreneurial, so I surely wouldn't count it out, I still think it'd be a terrific fit in our inner city.

There is absolutely need for more breakfast options in the central city.

Good luck with your other venture(s).

I've been following some of these threads for awhile and this is my first post. Thought I'd like to update you guys on Coin Laundry, if it's not already on another thread here. The official name of this place is called Empire Slice House. Brooklyn style pizza by the slice. Here's their twitter handle I found.

https://twitter.com/CoinLaundryOKC

chan2754! Thanks for the information -- hope you'll post frequently.

Found this Journal Record article that provides more details:

Popping up in the Plaza District
    Neighborhood continues to gain business
    Friday, February 22, 2013

by Molly J. Fleming

The Journal Record

It’s been nearly five years since Kristen Vails started work as the executive director of the 16th Street Plaza District, and the district is almost unrecognizable from when she took the reins.

“From what it was when I started, it’s just changed dramatically,” Vails said. “It’s hard to remember how it was, even though it was only five years ago.”

The district has gone from six businesses in 2007 to more than two dozen businesses this year, with more in the works.

Three more businesses have moved in through the work of investors Steve Mason, Aimee Ahpeatone and the rest of their investing team. The businesses have taken over three pieces of property that Ahpeatone and her team of investors purchased, with the last property still to be renovated.

The property is the former home of a coin laundromat, but will soon be the home of Empire Slice House, which will sell pizza by the slice and have a bar atmosphere at night. The restaurant idea was chosen through a website called popularize, where entrepreneurs submit their ideas and then the investors choose which businesses they want to have on their property.

Mason said he thinks the district will continue to be an area for people looking for that neighborhood atmosphere.

“I think if you look at the parts of town for 25- to 45-year-olds, this is their district,” Mason said. “What this area is attracting is a lot of really good people who want to bring back that Main Street attitude.”

He said he looks at his role in the area as more than a mere monetary investment.

“I think a really good investor is someone who invests for not only a good return, but you also invest for a good community,” he said.

Vails said she hopes this growth over the last five years will continue for the next five years, though there is not any property for sale. However, the property that Mason and Ahpeatone invested in wasn’t for sale, either – they approached the property owners with an offer.

She said the Friends of the Plaza plans to work on improving the neighborhood as the district grows.

“The strength of the neighborhood is important in progressing the district,” Vails said.

Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

This spot is getting close and is having a sneak preview:

7. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

If their pizza is even an 85% facsimile of New York, I'm going to freaking love it.

10. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

7/24

11. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

So, is this place open? Ther Facebook page shows they are, but their official website doesn't indicate that and they haven't Tweeted in a long time. I hate when companies mind all the details except their social media presence!

Their new twitter handle is @EmpireSliceOKC instead of @CoinLaundryOKC.

Yeah, it's open, I had a slice there Friday night at Live on the Plaza and it was great. It is NY style so be prepared for big slices, with some grease. It reminded me of the pizza from Italia Express at Penn Square Mall which I love. I walked up to the window at the outdoor area and got a slice for $2. I am not sure what it will cost in the future. It may have only been fpr that night for trianing. They only had cheese and pepperoni because it was kind of a soft opening. I am ready to go back and sit down inside when they are officially open.

14. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Their new twitter handle is @EmpireSliceOKC instead of @CoinLaundryOKC.
    And yet, when you click on their Twitter link on their own website it takes you to @CoinLaundryOKC (like I was saying - details)

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    And yet, when you click on their Twitter link on their own website it takes you to @CoinLaundryOKC (like I was saying - details)
    I'm sure they will get around to it when they can.

Takes a lot to run a small business I am sure, and focusing on the actual product should take priority over their web presence.

16. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I'm sure they will get around to it when they can.

Takes a lot to run a small business I am sure, and focusing on the actual product should take priority over their web presence.

I'm not talking about having some 24/7 active social media presence.

It took just as long to make the Twitter link go to the wrong Twitter account as it would to have made it point to the correct one.

Additionally, they had to actually set the Facebook page to indicate they are currently open - when in fact they are not. So, they actually spent more time getting it wrong than right.

I don't really care either way, but you can't really argue that social media is not critical to many small businesses like restaurants and its very confusing when you make an effort to create a Facebook page and when potential customers go there it indicates they are open, when in fact they are not.

Sounds like I'm really knocking them - when I'm not. I'm actually just pretty anxious for them to open and since my background is marketing these things tend to be a pet peeve for me.

According to their Facebook page, they open tomorrow (Sept. 5th).

Open today at 4PM.

Otherwise:

Mon - Sat: 11:00 am - 2:00 am
    Sun: 4:00 pm - 2:00 am

Love the late hours!

Yes!!! I will try it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Open today at 4PM.

Otherwise:

Mon - Sat: 11:00 am - 2:00 am
    Sun: 4:00 pm - 2:00 am

Love the late hours!
    I like the late hours too. A bit of a drive, but if the pizza is good, could make a decent dang fix for the it's 1 am and I'm hungry times. I'll be dining solo though. My lovely wouldn't much like it if I woke her up and said hey, wanna go on a pizza run to the city with me?

I drove by last night and there were people inside and on the patio. I think they had some soft openings this week with an official opening today.

22. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I like the late hours too. A bit of a drive, but if the pizza is good, could make a decent dang fix for the it's 1 am and I'm hungry times. I'll be dining solo though. My lovely wouldn't much like it if I woke her up and said hey, wanna go on a pizza run to the city with me?
    If you decide to make a run let me know and I'll be the guy waiting for you under the 12th Street bridge on I-35 in Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I drove by last night and there were people inside and on the patio. I think they had some soft openings this week with an official opening today.
    The sign out front said Private Event.... I almost stopped anyway to see how private it was.

With The Mule, Saints and now Empire, the Plaza now has a nice little bar district.

I'll be testing out their late night scene when there in early October.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    If you decide to make a run let me know and I'll be the guy waiting for you under the 12th Street bridge on I-35 in Moore.

nah, for you I'll even pull off the interstate. We could meet at the Mazzio's parking lot. Shoot, they'll be closed so they won't even know.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    The sign out front said Private Event.... I almost stopped anyway to see how private it was.
    That makes more sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thread Information