Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Main Street interchange work starting next year

1. Default Re: Main Street interchange work starting next year

Okay...well there is the blood. Where is ODOT now?

2. Default Re: Main Street interchange work starting next year

Anybody with a brain the size of a damn squirrel knew this was an absolutely ridiculous and dangerous forced merge. ODot has once again shown how poor their planning and concern for public safety is.

Multiple accidents force construction changes | KFOR.com ? Oklahoma City News & Weather from KFOR Television, Oklahoma's News Channel 4

3. Default Re: Main Street interchange work starting next year

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Anybody with a brain the size of a damn squirrel knew this was an absolutely ridiculous and dangerous forced merge. ODot has once again shown how poor their planning and concern for public safety is.

Multiple accidents force construction changes | KFOR.com ? Oklahoma City News & Weather from KFOR Television, Oklahoma's News Channel 4
    Anyone whose played SimCity could have done it better so far. :-P

Default Re: Main Street interchange work starting next year

They had to make the "temporary" 63rd st onramp to I-235 longer also. They should learn by now that you can't have a ramp intersect the interstate at a 45 degree angle and not have problems. lol

There is plenty of room between hwy 9 and the ramp to put in a temp ramp. Rerout Lindsey traffic back to 9 if you have to. It really would not take much to bust out the curb between the Lindsey bridge and the highway and throw down some asphalt considering the overall magnitude of this project.

Everything about the construction in Norman is idiotic. And these are the folks who are building the new downtown boulevard.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Everything about the construction in Norman is idiotic.
    The sound blocking wall they put up looks hideous! That was a detail that somebody should have brought to the attention of elected officials before installation.

I would really like to see a Cherokee Gothic architecture theme used whenever possible in the Norman area.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    The sound blocking wall they put up looks hideous! That was a detail that somebody should have brought to the attention of elected officials before installation.

I would really like to see a Cherokee Gothic architecture theme used whenever possible in the Norman area.
    i think the University has done a good enough job of making sure that Cherokee Gothic is getting it's time to shine... i personally would like to see other architecture themes used...

but i agree 100% that the current wall is hideous

Well, apparently it's okay, because ODOT knows that there is a problem. So no worries.

Supposedly the ramp situation will be improved by Friday which is good, but I have to ask why ODOT planers would not see this hazard well in advance.

When considering everything it almost seems like the people at ODOT don’t like Norman?

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i think the University has done a good enough job of making sure that Cherokee Gothic is getting it's time to shine... i personally would like to see other architecture themes used...

but i agree 100% that the current wall is hideous
    Personally I enjoy a city / community that has an architecture theme.
    I think it helps the coolness factor, the attractiveness and helps gives a city an identity.
    Cherokee Gothic architecture just happens to be best suited for Norman IMHO.

12. Default Re: Main Street interchange work starting next year

In general, at least here in the metro I have noticed that whoever builds highways doesn't like long merge lanes for some reason even when there is ample space to build them. At least they did it right at Shields and the the 240 eastbound to 35 southbound exit (only the merge lane-the rest of the layout is obviously bad).

13. Default Re: Main Street interchange work starting next year

BTW - it appears there was another fatality accident in the Main St. work zone today (southbound). Again not surprising considering how constricted they made the 2 lanes with the concrete barriers so close on each side.

i think it has less to do with the width of the lanes as much as i don't think they slow you down enough

15. Default Re: Main Street interchange work starting next year

i think it has less to do with the width of the lanes as much as i don't think they slow you down enough
    55 does seem to be a bit fast for there. I would think 45-50 would be more appropriate. Granted most still do 60-70 mph, so perhaps more radar enforcement.

there were two officers working that area this morning when i went through... they had someone pulled over going each direction... this is necessary so that hopefully people will learn to slow down through this area

... this is necessary so that hopefully people will learn to slow down through this area
    They'd have to camp there 24/7 for 2-3 weeks, and a few hours, at most, after they pulled out, the traffic would begin to speed up again.

so very true. i normally take 35 all the way to highway 9, and then over to the East side to get home... but just because of this construction, i have been getting off on 77, and taking tecumseh over to E 24th...

19. Default Re: Main Street interchange work starting next year

so very true. i normally take 35 all the way to highway 9, and then over to the East side to get home... but just because of this construction, i have been getting off on 77, and taking tecumseh over to E 24th...
    I've noticed it is a wash when it comes to the time difference using either for me. I can even go down and just take Robinson across and it is still about the same amount of time. I think you end up making a good deal of time with 77 going SE cutting through most of Norman.

Just an FYI for those using Robinson in Norman today, the 13th.
    They've been working on the lights at Berry/Robinson and there's been a 4 way stop sign most of the morning. Not sure when they might finish.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    BTW - it appears there was another fatality accident in the Main St. work zone today (southbound). Again not surprising considering how constricted they made the 2 lanes with the concrete barriers so close on each side.
    I agree with the 2 small lanes and concrete barriers being an issue. I've seen semis drift into the left lane from the right multiple times when going north on I-35 because you can tell they're trying to avoid the barrier. Pretty scary.

22. Default Re: Main Street interchange work starting next year

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    I agree with the 2 small lanes and concrete barriers being an issue. I've seen semis drift into the left lane from the right multiple times when going north on I-35 because you can tell they're trying to avoid the barrier. Pretty scary.
    Yeah, I already have a paranoia to not right besides someone or sit in their blind spot (especially semis) so through this area I either get passed them or just chill out until out of the zone.

From Moore Monthly

Main Street Interchange in Norman Set to Open
    by Rob Morris
    Apr 14, 2014

Construction of the new Main Street interchange in Norman has created a temper-testing bottleneck for traffic along I-35 for what seems like forever, but there's good news. That bottleneck could come to an end as early as today. Construction crews are putting the final touches on the $30 million project.

The reconfiguration of the overpass has replaced the old interchange with longer on-and-off ramps and a wider bridge. Traffic engineers say the "single point" interchange will use a single set of traffic lights in the center of the bridge to manage a larger volume of traffic. I-35 has also been widened from four to six lanes of traffic one-half mile on both sides of the interchange.

The project began in January of 2013 and includes bridge artwork depicting the Oklahoma Land Run.

- See more at: News | Moore Monthly

24. Default Re: Main Street interchange work starting next year

Traffic on I-35 got moved over to the new part...which is all wonderful asphalt (buckling in 2-3 years?). OHP should have a much easier time pulling people over speeding through the construction zone now.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Traffic on I-35 got moved over to the new part...which is all wonderful asphalt (buckling in 2-3 years?). OHP should have a much easier time pulling people over speeding through the construction zone now.
    Wow, they're seriously using asphalt for this? smh... when the hell is ODOT going to get with the program. Makes no sense honestly, it doesn't last as long as cement and doesn't look as good either. Concrete also stays cooler than asphalt, due to asphalt being black.

Thread Information