Widgets Magazine
Page 34 of 98 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383984 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by law View Post
    Just a small shower. Mostly .1 to .25. No enough rain to add anything to Canton.
    It's just a shame it seems that every lake in Ok. is filling up but canton just gets a trickle here and there. Maybe Canton Lake is just in a bad spot and is destined to dry up and die?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Then let me respectfully say, those 200,000 plus people in NW OKC and it's dependent water districts are also in a bad spot and are destined to dry up and die.

3. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

how is that law?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Then let me respectfully say, those 200,000 plus people in NW OKC and it's dependent water districts are also in a bad spot and are destined to dry up and die.
    Maybe Stillwater could sell some of its water to NW OKC. But would extending its 3 ft. wide water pipe down there be big enough to meet demand?

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Too funny...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    It's just a shame it seems that every lake in Ok. is filling up but canton just gets a trickle here and there. Maybe Canton Lake is just in a bad spot and is destined to dry up and die?
    Except Canton is where we got the water from (when we were running low) so they must have been getting more than a trickle here and there??? Maybe now that we are getting back to normal, start trucking some of the water back to Canton (yes I realize that probably isn't feasible)?

Sorry, not much coming into Canton Lake. You can check the upstream gauges for actual inflows. You can also watch the gauges on Hefner and Overholser. The Corps of Engineers has some info on their website, as well as USGS.gov.

Lake Hefner is looking fabulous, as it should, since it's now only inches below level. Certainly some fifty sailboats agreed this morning and mid-afternoon; does anyone know the occasion?

9. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

pics
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Free Won't View Post
    Lake Hefner is looking fabulous, as it should, since it's now only inches below level. Certainly some fifty sailboats agreed this morning and mid-afternoon; does anyone know the occasion?
    I don't know, but they looked great out on the water!

11. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I don't know, but they looked great out on the water!
    Must warm the hearts of others that OKC got to drain Canton Lake so people could take their sailboats out. LOL

Luckily, we can drink water that has sailboats on it.

Interesting that Hefner is full just in time for the marina and ramps to be closed for 6 days for the filming of a movie. It wouldn't look good for a lil big league city to have a half full lake appear in a movie for all to see that it is on the eastern edge of near desert. Guess this priority was more important than being a good neighbor in the real Oklahoma tradition!

Yep, lot of boats out. There's nothing on the online OKC Boat Club calender for today. The other docks and ramps are closed for filming the movie "Rudderless". I watched a chopper take off from the production area this afternoon with a camera person hanging out of the side of it. Could be the boats are related to the filming...or not, just a nice windy day on the lake.

I do wonder if an City of OKC commitment to the film schedule had anything to do with not waiting until the end of spring to release water. (Even though it was going to happen either way. Overholser isn't full and Hefner may still be down.)

15. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Current Lake Info:

Arcadia Lake -- Lake Thunderbird -- Canton Lake

I was intrigued by Lake Meredith on the graph, above, so I looked it up.

No sailboats there . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I was intrigued by Lake Meredith on the graph, above, so I looked it up.

No sailboats there . . .
    Kinda reminds me of another lake not so far from Canton...Lake Optima

Optima Lake is a reservoir in Texas County, Oklahoma. The lake is located near the towns of Hardesty and Guymon in the Oklahoma Panhandle.

The earthen Optima Lake Dam (National ID # OK20510) was constructed in 1978 by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, with a height of 120 feet, and a length at its crest of 16,875 feet.[1] Although designed to contain a maximum of 618,500 acre-feet, the lake has never reached more than 5 percent of its design capacity,[2] and now is effectively empty.

Rapid declines in streamflow (related to large-scale pumping from the High Plains Aquifer) coincided with the completion of dam construction[2] to make this lake a dramatic example of unanticipated environmental impacts.

The US Army Corps of Engineers states (emphasis added):

Visitors should be aware that the lake's level can be very low. Depending on rainfall and evaporation rates, the lake may offer no water-based recreation and may not be suitable for swimming, fishing, boating or other activities.[3]

Lake camping facilities and buildings have been dismantled for public safety by the Corps of Engineers as of October 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optima_Lake

I camped there one night a decade ago.

Well . . . looking ("Optimastically") on the bright side, at least the lawns are still green in Amarillo.

Well . . . looking ("Optimastically") on the bright side, at least the lawns are still green in Amarillo.
    as they are for many of the western Oklahoma and Texas Canton Lake visitors' lawns and lands, if not City of Canton residents' too.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Yep, lot of boats out. There's nothing on the online OKC Boat Club calender for today. The other docks and ramps are closed for filming the movie "Rudderless". I watched a chopper take off from the production area this afternoon with a camera person hanging out of the side of it. Could be the boats are related to the filming...or not, just a nice windy day on the lake.

I do wonder if an City of OKC commitment to the film schedule had anything to do with not waiting until the end of spring to release water. (Even though it was going to happen either way. Overholser isn't full and Hefner may still be down.)
    I was out there walking with my wife Saturday morning and saw a ton of boats and then more on Sunday. My wife's supervisor received an e-mail for an open casting call out on Lake Hefner Friday for the movie. They wouldn't be paid, but would be provided with free food. They were asking for just background people (people walking, talking, running and biking). The part of the movie out on the lake would be shooting today and tomorrow. I assume they would get everything in place today and actually shoot footage tomorrow. We are going to go out walking by the lake tonight and I will let the board know if I see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    pics
    Let's wait until July and juxtapose with pics of dead fish washing ashore at Lake Canton- it'd be picturesque.

I would hope OKCWT did not risk Canton water just to make a movie. Did you notice the new water plan? I understand OKC has plenty, nothing to worry about, but you might want to take a look.

City of Oklahoma City

Okc decided to be conservative does mean that we don't have plenty of water

I think the folks in Canton might request a clearer definition of the concept of "we".

I think the folks in Canton might request a clearer definition of the concept of "we".
    Oklahoma city

Thread Information