Widgets Magazine
Page 28 of 98 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323378 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Nope..... they took 30,000 acre feet from Canton during the draw down, it has recovered a little over 4,000 acre feet up to this point.
    Ok,well these current rains should help a bunch and there is a decent chance for more rain next week. So this will be an ongoing watch through spring to see how the lake recovers.

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

I think you overestimate how much rain has fallen or will fall this spring. It will help though. After <snark on> the lake has apparently already stored up nearly 25% of the next large draw down. </snark>

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CanNMTXOK.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	3582
    Hope the picture file comes through. I think there is a lack of understanding on how small the moisture basin for the N. Canadian River is. It is north of Canton Res. and most of the length of the Panhandle. If the attach picture is shown, it would be the upper portion of these 2 river basins - The Canadian is the lower half. In the past some streams that came from rock formations flowed year-round as springs from the aquifer. Since this aquifer has been drawn down, they no longer flow. Now, all water must come from precepitation - but the catch basin is very small. It could rain 12" 5 miles north or south of this narrow basin and not a drop would enter Canton Res. There is actually a greater precipatation chance in the catch basin between Canton Res. (lake) and OKC. This part of the basin, though still very narrow, has more small streams because it is in a part of the state/country that has more precep. These recent rains will do a lot for Overholser and Hefner - but very little will flow into Canton lake. It will take an extemely rare precep. event on the 10-20 mile river basin to have any impact on Canton. Normal precep. will take years to refill Canton - and that is not including the existing drought conditions.

Here is a map of the watershed between Canton Res. and OKC....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NCanadianWatershed4.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	3583 This area got a little more rain, and should help both OKC lakes. The dam at Canton should be shut tight for as long as possible while there is rain, snow, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Canton lake is in much better shape today than it was before the OKC draw,correct? This is just the start of spring rains so I think that canton Lake will be fine come June. The fish and the businesses dependent on the lake should survive.
    You do realize that the better rains have, thus far, occurred further south, right? lol

Just cause it's rained solid here in OKC since yesterday doesn't mean it's rained up north and west of Canton in the same amounts...

It's only up about 3,000 acre feet from the lowest point of the drawdown.

Now'd be a good time for another release though.

TAlan CB is correct. It hasn't rained a lot above Canton Lake. Farmers will get this rain. Most has been absorbed by the soil, and much of the run off is being held in farm terraces and stock ponds. Lucky for OKC, I understand you like to eat food as well as drink water.

The OK Wildlife Fisheries people estimate the current depth of Canton Lake to be 5-12 ft. They expect about 5 ft of evaporation this summer. The fish are not safe. Predictions for a major fish kill have not changed.

Businesses here are reporting 2/3 drop in sales compared to last year at this time. Canton and nearby businesses are not safe. Tax revenues are down accordingly.

But, on the bright side, OKC residents should not need to run their sprinkler systems.

Quote Originally Posted by law View Post
    But, on the bright side, OKC residents should not need to run their sprinkler systems.
    I probably will anyhow. Gotta keep that new fescue seed wet.

To be more specific, this is Canton Lake collection area.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CanNMTXOK (2).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	3585

Growing fescue as lawn in Oklahoma - central and western Oklahoma - is pretty ignorant. Doing it for a Spring green is just stupid in a drought. There is a point at which being 'technically correct' does not matter. Just because OKC owns the water rights to Canton does not mean it should draw it down. They should have waited until after the Spring rains to see how Hefner would have risen due to rain between Canton and OKC. Then, if the lake was still low, they could have drawn what they needed to fill. All of these rains would have helped Hefner, but will not do a thing for Canton. This is like the argument a dumb pedestrian has against cars - it might be his 'right' to walk across the street in a pedestrian crossing in front of the car, but it will not keep them from being dead when they are hit by a car. Lot of good his 'rights' would have done him in a stupid application of his 'rights'.

Quote Originally Posted by TAlan CB View Post
    To be more specific, this is Canton Lake collection area.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CanNMTXOK (2).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	3585

Growing fescue as lawn in Oklahoma - central and western Oklahoma - is pretty ignorant. Doing it for a Spring green is just stupid in a drought. There is a point at which being 'technically correct' does not matter. Just because OKC owns the water rights to Canton does not mean it should draw it down. They should have waited until after the Spring rains to see how Hefner would have risen due to rain between Canton and OKC. Then, if the lake was still low, they could have drawn what they needed to fill. All of these rains would have helped Hefner, but will not do a thing for Canton. This is like the argument a dumb pedestrian has against cars - it might be his 'right' to walk across the street in a pedestrian crossing in front of the car, but it will not keep them from being dead when they are hit by a car. Lot of good his 'rights' would have done him in a stupid application of his 'rights'.
    I disagree. I will water multiple times a day, law permitting this Summer to ensure a velvety carpet of thick, dark green fescue in my shaded back yard, with a solid stand of bermuda in the front yard receiving a similar amount. As a side bonus, the ground around my home will remain wet and my foundation will be more likely to remain in tact. We will pay our water bill dutifully. Do you know how great fescue feels on the feet in the summer months? Silky and cool. Love the stuff.

If Canton is drawn down so my yard can stay green, so be it. Just so long as my yard doesn't revert to the nasty red clay it was when I moved in.

I swear.. those folks never watered.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I probably will anyhow. Gotta keep that new fescue seed wet.
    Just curious, what kind of of fescue did you get? I finally made the switch to Rye(which requires a lot of water, along with all my banana trees) and I've heard it's greener, thicker, and overall prettier. I'll find out though whether that is true or not this summer, my yard is just mud right now with little sprouts popping up here and there. I've watered the piss out it and will have to continue to do so, but I think the outcome will be worth it! Are you satisfied with your yard though?

I disagree. I will water multiple times a day, law permitting this Summer to ensure a velvety carpet of thick, dark green fescue in my shaded back yard, with a solid stand of bermuda in the front yard receiving a similar amount. As a side bonus, the ground around my home will remain wet and my foundation will be more likely to remain in tact. We will pay our water bill dutifully. Do you know how great fescue feels on the feet in the summer months? Silky and cool. Love the stuff.

If Canton is drawn down so my yard can stay green, so be it. Just so long as my yard doesn't revert to the nasty red clay it was when I moved in.

Haha... Your gonna have these guys steaming if you don't stop. I also like to water in the summer...at least twice a day. It is good to keep the ground around your home watered.

So Canton lake didn't get much rain from these storms? OKC lakes look to be running over today.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just curious, what kind of of fescue did you get? I finally made the switch to Rye(which requires a lot of water, along with all my banana trees) and I've heard it's greener, thicker, and overall prettier. I'll find out though whether that is true or not this summer, my yard is just mud right now with little sprouts popping up here and there. I've watered the piss out it and will have to continue to do so, but I think the outcome will be worth it! Are you satisfied with your yard though?
    It's been a battle getting it rehab'd from the clay. This year, I'm trying a Pennington coated seed from Home Depot. They said the birds would leave it alone.

Haha... Your gonna have these guys steaming if you don't stop.
    I could care less. Folks grousing about OKC doing what OKC has a right to do while enjoying the free benefits of a lake in their back yard they paid nothing for doesn't give me an ounce of guilt. They can move to OKC, buy a tiny lot and house and fuss over their patch of fescue and bermuda just like I did. Different strokes/different folks.

I also like to water in the summer...at least twice a day. It is good to keep the ground around your home watered.
    I water once in the evening to let a good amount soak in deep and then again in the morning. If you water in the afternoon, it can be bad for the grass.

So Canton lake didn't get much rain from these storms? OKC lakes look to be running over today.
    It's going to take awhile to get Hefner back up to pre drought levels. This thread is silly. Even with all of this rain, Hefner has only added around 500 acre feet of water. We're up from about 40,000 pre-release to 62,500ish. The lake is up about 12 feet, but it's still pretty low. In the meantime, I'm not zero scaping or planting cacti as I have automatic sprinklers in my flowerbeds, so I'd probably kill the things.

It's been a battle getting it rehab'd from the clay. This year, I'm trying a Pennington coated seed from Home Depot. They said the birds would leave it alone.
    Ah, yes I've had problems with birds before, luckily this year, they haven't been around. I have bird feeders and water baths scattered around and they are hanging around that, but they really haven't messed with the seed this year.

I've always had some fescue though, great stuff. My neighbor just laid down a whole new layer fescue and it looks great. As you stated, I water my yard three times a day and my bananas four. The outcome is great when people come over. I only ask about the fescue because we had a problem with it last year(I didn't over seed, so that might have contributed to it, and it wasn't a mold or fungus), and instead of reseeding with fescue I decided to try rye. I really hope it works though.

If you don't mind, let me know how that works out. I've been trying different seed for around three years now and have problems with it. I used to go to Horns and they were great, sadly, they are no more. Now, I have been going to Farmers Grain in downtown Edmond. I hate this Oklahoma clay though, it really is a bi**h. This year, I did a major rototill job on my yard and we rented a Honda from Home Depot and that thing was a beast!!!!!!

Also, do you have a take on the "don't water at nighttime due an increased risk of spreading disease or fungus"? I've heard that from a few people and don't know the authenticity of it. I've also done a few internet searches and some people say it's bad, some say it's not.

I could care less. Folks grousing about OKC doing what OKC has a right to do while enjoying the free benefits of a lake in their back yard they paid nothing for doesn't give me an ounce of guilt. They can move to OKC, buy a tiny lot and house and fuss over their patch of fescue and bermuda just like I did. Different strokes/different folks.

I water once in the evening to let a good amount soak in deep and then again in the morning. If you water in the afternoon, it can be bad for the grass.

It's going to take awhile to get Hefner back up to pre drought levels. This thread is silly. Even with all of this rain, Hefner has only added around 500 acre feet of water. We're up from about 40,000 pre-release to 62,500ish. The lake is up about 12 feet, but it's still pretty low. In the meantime, I'm not zero scaping or planting cacti as I have automatic sprinklers in my flowerbeds, so I'd probably kill the things.
    By now, you're just baiting the unsophisticated voters ... er, non-OKC citizens to the west, right? You're just hoping to become as famous about this issue as torea is about gun control and train whistles, right?

If you are having a problem getting grass to grow take a soil sample and see what you have to work with. might need some tweaking. I have a big oak in my front yard and that thing is really thirsty. Have to water all the time to feed that beast.

If you are having a problem getting grass to grow take a soil sample and see what you have to work with. might need some tweaking. I have a big oak in my front yard and that thing is really thirsty. Have to water all the time to feed that beast.
    I've thought about that, heard the folks at OSU are really good. Funny you mention Oaks, it's strange how so many have died over the recent years. Leaves turning yellow and eventually just dying completely. Lack of iron is what I was told. As far the pine tree issue, I was told a beetle(s) was(were) responsible for that. Seems strange though, I thought maybe the scorching heat we had those summers was doing them in.

TAlan CB is correct. It hasn't rained a lot above Canton Lake. Farmers will get this rain. Most has been absorbed by the soil, and much of the run off is being held in farm terraces and stock ponds. Lucky for OKC, I understand you like to eat food as well as drink water.

The OK Wildlife Fisheries people estimate the current depth of Canton Lake to be 5-12 ft. They expect about 5 ft of evaporation this summer. The fish are not safe. Predictions for a major fish kill have not changed.

Businesses here are reporting 2/3 drop in sales compared to last year at this time. Canton and nearby businesses are not safe. Tax revenues are down accordingly.

We get it, you hate OKC and the fact that they own rights to the lake sole purpose was to supply the metro with water in times of drought. If you are so torn up move to eastern oklahoma and just move on.

So this thread is back to trolling both sides, sad for an issues that could use rational discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Also, do you have a take on the "don't water at nighttime due an increased risk of spreading disease or fungus"? I've heard that from a few people and don't know the authenticity of it. I've also done a few internet searches and some people say it's bad, some say it's not.
    From what I have heard if you need to water the best time to do is early morning, after 9:00 AM in the summer you are generally going to loosing a lot to evaporation. I heard the same about not watering in the middle of the night but have not seen a consistent time on how long before sunrise is too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    From what I have heard if you need to water the best time to do is early morning, after 9:00 AM in the summer you are generally going to loosing a lot to evaporation. I heard the same about not watering in the middle of the night but have not seen a consistent time on how long before sunrise is too long.
    Thanks for the info. Our neighbor waters early in the morning and his yard is excellent. I'll try that this year. I generally water early in the evening for about 5 mins each station. then 30 mins each station around 10pm and in the summer I would sometimes run a quick 10 min. run around 2-4pm. I'll try running in the morning though, seems like it would work out. I might do a late morning run as well.

Is this rain helping Lake Hefner rise to normal level?

[QUOTE=Snowman;632988]So this thread is back to trolling both sides, sad for an issues that could use rational discussion.

From what I have heard if you need to water the best time to do is early morning, after 9:00 AM in the summer you are generally going to loosing a lot to evaporation. I heard the same about not watering in the middle of the night but have not seen a consistent time on how long before sunrise is too long.[/QUOTE

Your too kind, ignorance (like I mentioned before) never goes out of fashion.... I was baiting the stupid, Mea Culpa..Mea Culpa - but this was too easy! Sarcasm aside, once someone reveals their condition goes beyond simple ignorance - well, I love driving up their water bill! I promise, no mas .... probably.

As usual, the facts don't support your theories.

Canton Lake

Thread Information