Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So...have any of you spotted anyone carrying openly yet?

MadMonk Guest

Default So...have any of you spotted anyone carrying openly yet?

I've been keeping an eye open especially for this since the 1st, but I have yet to spot anyone openly carrying.

Default Re: So...have any of you spotted anyone carrying openly yet?

Haven't even thought to look. Had enough on my mind lately I forgot it was going into effect this month until I saw a piece, on 9 I think it was, regarding a c-store owner that started carrying openly.

3. Default Re: So...have any of you spotted anyone carrying openly yet?

Seen a couple of business owners on the south side holstered up while working their register. Also saw an older guy wearing a pistol off SW 29th a few days ago. He looked to have gone shopping and was carrying items home on foot. Actually looked fine to me. That's a rough area and he didn't seem to be acting like the gun gave him an extra set of balls. I'm guessing he was 60-something and has probably had issues in that neighborhood before.

You mean, despite the prognostications, there's been no horrific descent into the old Wild West culture?

I'm shocked.

5. Default Re: So...have any of you spotted anyone carrying openly yet?

It is humorous to go back and read some of the nonsense some people posted in objection to open-carry. I have zero issue with people being against it, I just think some of the conclusions some people were drawing were simply head-shaking.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    It is humorous to go back and read some of the nonsense some people posted in objection to open-carry. I have zero issue with people being against it, I just think some of the conclusions some people were drawing were simply head-shaking.
    Agree 100%.

Seen a couple of business owners on the south side holstered up while working their register. Also saw an older guy wearing a pistol off SW 29th a few days ago. He looked to have gone shopping and was carrying items home on foot. Actually looked fine to me. That's a rough area and he didn't seem to be acting like the gun gave him an extra set of balls. I'm guessing he was 60-something and has probably had issues in that neighborhood before.

He probable fit right in lol

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    You mean, despite the prognostications, there's been no horrific descent into the old Wild West culture?

I'm shocked.
    First, its only been 9 days since it became legal.

Second, doesnt really matter to me that there hasnt been an incident yet because there was no good reason to enact this law. It was unnecessary. And dont say that it will prevent concealed carriers from having their weapon seen and getting in trouble. A) havent heard of anyone getting in trouble because their shirt lifted and someone saw their gun and B) get a better concealed holster if you are worried about that.

9. Default Re: So...have any of you spotted anyone carrying openly yet?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post

Second, doesnt really matter to me that there hasnt been an incident yet because there was no good reason to enact this law. It was unnecessary. And dont say that it will prevent concealed carriers from having their weapon seen and getting in trouble. A) havent heard of anyone getting in trouble because their shirt lifted and someone saw their gun and B) get a better concealed holster if you are worried about that.
    You may not have heard about it, but it indeed did happen on several occasions. I've personally seen the reports - and while most were simply handled at the scene and a report forwarded to the DA's office for possible prosecution. I know of at least three incidents where an individual was arrested simply because their gun became accidentally exposed.

IYO there was no good reason, but obviously your opinion was in the minority. I already have a jogging holster, a traditional exposed holster and a concealed holster. I have no plans to use any off them, but, should the need arise, I already have them on hand. Also have a holster that mounts under the steering wheel. I don't even own a pistol - but my wife says I can borrow hers!

Saw a guy in a Walmart on the first day. Literally Strutting. The cashiers were eyeing it.

So when do you anticipate the mayhem to begin?

Second, doesnt really matter to me that there hasnt been an incident yet because there was no good reason to enact this law. It was unnecessary.
    As Brian mentioned, there is documented evidence to the contrary.

And dont say that it will prevent concealed carriers from having their weapon seen and getting in trouble. A) havent heard of anyone getting in trouble because their shirt lifted and someone saw their gun ...
    Well, I guess your personal experience trumps the documented evidence.

...and B) get a better concealed holster if you are worried about that.
    The fact is, the more concealed the holster is, the more its effectiveness is diminished in facilitating quick access to and drawing of the weapon at the split second when the NEED becomes apparent... time that can make all the difference in the world. But then you're not really interested in people's ability to protect themselves against those who have no concern on what the law is on carrying a weapon.

Aside from the media reports about the Oklahoma Open Carry Association breakfast at Beverly's pancake house on the 1st, I haven't seen anyone other than the cops sporting an open carry rig. I have been carried open every day since the 1st.

I have not seen any women stamped or horses faint. I have not felt the need to practice my quick draw routine or play show and tell. I did take the opportunity to visit the small grocery store that channel 4 and 9 did a story on and tell them thank you for taking on the duty of their own protection. The person who was there was not open carrying at the time.

I have had no business owner or employee tell me I was unwelcome in their establishment. I do not go out of my way to go walking around places I do not normally go. That being said, I have been to OnCue, Walgreens, Arby's, Dicks Sporting Goods, Academy, BancFirst, Walmart, and Lowes.

I did approach and initiate a conversation with 2 police officers while open carry. The officers in question did not feel the need to draw down on me, prone me out, or ask for my permit.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I think the point some are making is, don't insult our intelligence. You may choose to use that excuse, but it is hardly a valid one.
    The same could be said about the excuses proffered by opponents of the law.

Let's all be honest here. A lot of people simply want to carry openly. Ergo, let's change the law.
    I'll agree with this 100%!!! IMO, open carry is much more comfortable than CC.

Let's all be honest here. A lot of people simply want to carry openly. Ergo, let's change the law.
    I would agree with you that there are certainly a number of people who want to carry openly.

However, I know from personal experience and from conversations with a great many other concealed-carry license holders that a very small percentage ever wanted the law to pass so they could carry openly. Most said that even after Nov. 1st they would seldom, if ever, carry openly — count me among that significant majority. Most supported the passage for the very excuse you claim is "hardly a valid one." The way the law previously was written, the penalties were very real and could be quite steep — including the suspension of the license. Did it happen frequently? Not really. Did it happen? Yes.

If you don't accept that "excuse" as a valid one, then you are certainly entitled to that position/opinion. However, valid or not (in yours and others eyes), it was indeed a fundamental reason why it received such broad support from so many, even those who never have any intention of openly carrying.

I think it was the media that wanted some action. My husband carries (legally) all the time, he just won't flaunt it.....

With few exceptions, someone carrying openly is simply asking for a bad guy to pop him.

If I'm carrying openly while standing in line at the bank or a convenience store, and in walks a guy intending to rob the place, then I'm the FIRST guy he'll shoot, and I'll never see it coming.

If he's a smart bad guy, he'll see my weapon, turn around and find another place. But if he's on crack or desperate, he'll kill me, rob the place of a couple hundred bucks and be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    With few exceptions, someone carrying openly is simply asking for a bad guy to pop him.

If I'm carrying openly while standing in line at the bank or a convenience store, and in walks a guy intending to rob the place, then I'm the FIRST guy he'll shoot, and I'll never see it coming.

If he's a smart bad guy, he'll see my weapon, turn around and find another place. But if he's on crack or desperate, he'll kill me, rob the place of a couple hundred bucks and be gone.
    Fortunately for me, it doesn't work that way. Bad guys aren't looking for law abiding citizens carrying guns. They are looking for uniforms and badges. No uniform and badge, they try and rob the place. The scenario you describe does not happen in the 43 other states that have open carry. Do you think criminals in OK are that much smarter than criminals in those other states?

Criminals tend to not attack people who they believe can defend themselves. The sight of a firearm means I have the means and capability of doing just that and most criminals will move to a softer target.

If a criminal is high on crack or that desperate, you stand as much chance of being killed if you are OC, CC, or No C.

FWIW, 28 years of study, at times intense and at times casual, causes me to say, with a great deal of confidence, Oklahoma law breakers are most assuredly not brighter and craftier than law breakers elsewhere.

20. Default Re: So...have any of you spotted anyone carrying openly yet?

So wait, this law was passed because we have cops that make false arrests and judges that don't understand the law?

Brandishing a weapon and someone accidentally exposing one are so far from each other it isn't even funny. And if this is why, why didn't the law specifically address this problem? Make the language more clear. It isn't like we need open care to clarify what an accidental or unintentional display is.

I think the point some are making is, don't insult our intelligence. You may choose to use that excuse, but it is hardly a valid one.
    Funny, I nor anyone else here I recall making that assertion. It is however ONE of the reasons I supported the law (even though I don't carry). Additionally, you make some pretty ridiculous assertions. The first that cops were making false arrests and judges didn't understand the law. We were actually tested over the language of the law during my CLEET certification and it was made clear to us that 'intent' to expose your weapon was NOT an element of the crime.

I also supported this law because I think its a right others should have - even if i never have any intention of exercising it.

Second, you imply the law was passed simply because alot of people wanted to openly carry..... yet..... virtually nobody here (or even the media) has seen anyone openly carry. Sort of flies in the face of your 'logic.'

I'm not insulting your intelligence.... I'm simply trying to locate it within the context of this debate.

My father and my brother were both law enforcement. I've spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours in a cop car. I'm not a cop but I know enough to know that I can't imagine someone getting hauled off to jail for something like that (unless there is more to the story perhaps). I could see a citation?
    I can't say I've spent as many hours riding with officers, in my years as a police reporter, but I definitely saw enough rogue cops to believe in their existence. Yes, they're a very small minority, but almost every force of any appreciable size has at least one or two uniformed bullies. Such folk seem to just be looking for an excuse to flaunt their power. Most policemen whom I've met over the years are quite sincere in their desire to protect and serve, but the nature of their work tends to make them highly suspicious of anyone whom they do not already know well.

I have no particular dog in this fight; when I was accompanying officers on roadblocks, I carried a loaded .45 Colt Commander in my glovebox, and the LEOs with whom I worked were fully aware of that fact despite it being technically illegal -- this was more than 50 years ago, when any kind of carry was a violation of the statutes. If I felt a pressing need to do so again, I would not hesitate. To me, the law of self preservation trumps anything passed by a legislative body. However, I don't feel such a need, nor do I expect to...

I concealed carry but i fall into the category that we never needed this law. If you can afford a fire arm you should be able to afford a decent 20 dollar holster to keep it from showing. I've never had a problem keeping it concealed or have known anyone who has. Plus just look at all the options out there for smaller carry weapons, its a massive market. You can get a 9mm, 40 cal, and even a 45 in a small frame weapon. But then you have people screaming that they want to carry a 40 cal with 16 shot clip. Where the heck are you going that you need that or if your that bad of a shot you have no business in carrying - you arent a cop.

I've seen 1 older 300lb man open carrying at harbor freight and he was proudly standing there like a peacock making sure everyone could see him. He seemed more likely to die of a heart attack than some bad guy coming after him but i knew this law was going to be attractive to that type of people who are trying to show how bad ass they are. My main problem is that I have little kids and dont really like the idea of them seeing guns everywhere they go because they dont become 'dangerous' and if you own a weapon you know exactly what i mean. Even as an adult its very easy to forget how dangerous a handgun is when you are around them all the time.

Think about it this way. Growing up most of us saw people smoking everywhere. You couldnt go into a restaurant, store, or business with out seeing someone lighting up. Now you have a newer generation of kids who will literally ask what is that person doing, smoking is bad, why are they doing that. Do we really want to turn the world backwards where it becomes everyday that our kids see someone who isnt an authority figure with a weapon?

Very 3rd world country of us.

MadMonk Guest

LOL, that's does it; I'm removing our steak knives from the home because I don't want my kids to start playing with them because they see them often enough to become careless. With my luck, I'll come home one day and they'll be juggling them and throwing them at someone attached to a spinning wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    LOL, that's does it
    I just think its backwards that with each handgun purchase you have to submit to the youth handgun safety act and are given a handgun lock (basically says if minor gets a hold of an unlocked one you are responsible - google it, if your a handgun owner then you already know about it) and then we implement a law where people can wear a deadly weapon in public as an fashion accessory?

That's why i posted about smoking. At one time it was common place and a person could do it anywhere in public so more people started smoking. Laws were enacted to take it out of public places and youth smoking is at the lowest levels its ever been. I just think we shouldn't be going out of our ways to glamorize and mainstream weapons in everyday life. Does anyone really need a hot pink weapon, pistol grips that are skulls, or be openly 'strapped' at target?

LOL, youth access to handguns, LOL...yeah that's never been a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    I've seen 1 older 300lb man open carrying at harbor freight and he was proudly standing there like a peacock making sure everyone could see him. He seemed more likely to die of a heart attack than some bad guy coming after him but i knew this law was going to be attractive to that type of people who are trying to show how bad ass they are.
    "My gun is bigger than your gun." Or, "I've got one and you don't". Both are more inevitable reasons for the majority of people to carry guns than any "right" reason. I'm still not sure there's a right reason, but clearly no one has asked me. I also think our Founding Fathers, who feared very little more than they feared the uneducated masses, are likely rolling in their graves at how their Bill of Rights has been interpreted over the years.

Thread Information