Widgets Magazine
Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 49949596979899
Results 2,451 to 2,452 of 2452

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanistPoke View Post
    Just personally I've always thought it odd that an airport in Oklahoma City is named after Will Rogers when he really didn't have a strong connection with OKC. Yes, he's probably top 10 most famous historical Oklahomans but he's really mostly connected with NE Oklahoma - not OKC. I feel like if you want to keep a unique name for the airport name it after someone more closely tied to OKC historically. Jim Thrope would be who I would think is equally or similarly known and was at least born right outside of OKC in Prague and had more ties to Central Oklahoma being Sac and Fox (Central Oklahoma) too while Will Rogers is Cherokee (NE Oklahoma).

Only thing I'd like to see changed at least is the 'World' and at least make it 'International' so that falls in line with major airports. Majority of people are dumb, especially when people outside of Oklahoma think of Oklahoma so I think branding wise that'd be at minimum the best thing. Will Rogers International or Oklahoma City International or Will Rogers Oklahoma City International.
    The naming of OKC airports might have had some influence from the earliest phase in aviation's development, airports were more pitching themselves to aviators than the general public, similar to today's general aviation airports, which do not get regular commercial flights. Will Rogers was basically a celebrity advocating for aviation early on, granted even if Rogers or Post was known in the aviation community then, probably is not now.

Modern day there tends to be limited support for name changes from longstanding names to more generic branding, just look at sports stadiums/arenas, there are still plenty of fans that call them the original name decades after it has been one or more others.

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    Do you think it's likely that Dulles (IAD) and Hobby (HOB) will have a name change because few know who they were? Did they have a Tony Award winning Broadway musical named after them? Will Rogers is still a famous name all over the world.
    Only if they are over 50 or 60 they might know something.

Thread Information