Widgets Magazine
Page 52 of 99 FirstFirst ... 24748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2461

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Other things factor in to JAX than just more passengers. Beach and golf destination, NFL team, etc.

I believe their current airport was totally redone before the hosted a Super Bowl.

In addition they have one of the top military presences in the country, largest city in Florida in land and 4th in population and a deep water port that impacts cargo and passengers. JAX is not in the same conversation as OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    In addition they have one of the top military presences in the country, largest city in Florida in land and population( pop. is greater than the entire state of Oklahoma) and a deep water port that impacts cargo and passengers. JAX is not in the same conversation as OKC.
    A city with the metro population of 1.5 million is certainly in the same conversation as OKC, a city with 1.3 million.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    A city with the metro population of 1.5 million is certainly in the same conversation as OKC, a city with 1.3 million.
    Population matters very little in tourist areas. I won't go too far off topic, but there are times when Jacksonville's population will be a LOT higher than OKC (summer, especially). Just a fact not a lot of people want to mention or understand. OKC doesn't have an ocean, so that changes the game immensely.

Population is close, but again JAX offers many more draws for tourists. JAX also as well as a deep water port that OKC does not have that that contributes to cargo traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Population matters very little in tourist areas. I won't go too far off topic, but there are times when Jacksonville's population will be a LOT higher than OKC (summer, especially). Just a fact not a lot of people want to mention or understand. OKC doesn't have an ocean, so that changes the game immensely.
    Yes but Jacksonville doesn’t have THAT much tourist traffic. We are essentially within 20% of their numbers and we are experiencing 10-15% YOY growth. We are similar enough to be in the same conversation. It’s conpletely false to say a 1.5 million metro has more people than the entire state of OK.

Yes but Jacksonville doesn’t have THAT much tourist traffic. We are essentially within 20% of their numbers and we are experiencing 10-15% YOY growth. We are similar enough to be in the same conversation. It’s conpletely false to say a 1.5 million metro has more people than the entire state of OK.
    You are totally correct about by mis statement and I edited it out. Thanks.

8. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

On another note, I am quite curious as to why there is a sudden upsurge in passengers at OKC. Up until this year, the gains were a meager 3%-5%, definitely nothing in double digits. Is it low airfares, affordability of air tickets, more business traffic, better marketing of the airport or a combination of two or more these factors? Of course F9 coming to the scene has probably helped out a bit for sure but other airlines (especially AA/Eagle) are gaining a lot more passengers this year as well). Don't get me wrong, I am pretty happy about the upsurge, but just got to wondering about that.

9. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I think number of people in the airport is what determines services in the airport. The type of people they are play a part, I understand. But our numbers in our airport are getting close to JAX, why does their airport have so much more in types of services than WRWA? Why can't we get more in terms of stores and restaurants? Don't tell me it's because they have an NFL team and beaches nearby. We have an NBA team. There were very few tourists on my flights.

And don't say it's because of the Super Bowl. If it was then those places would have closed because of lack of business since then.

Does the JAX airport just do a better job of building space for businesses and then leasing space that works for tenants?

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    On another note, I am quite curious as to why there is a sudden upsurge in passengers at OKC. Up until this year, the gains were a meager 3%-5%, definitely nothing in double digits. Is it low airfares, affordability of air tickets, more business traffic, better marketing of the airport or a combination of two or more these factors? Of course F9 coming to the scene has probably helped out a bit for sure but other airlines (especially AA/Eagle) are gaining a lot more passengers this year as well). Don't get me wrong, I am pretty happy about the upsurge, but just got to wondering about that.
    Business travel might be picking back up, for one thing. Economy is solid (generally) and oil prices are inching back up. And, with better business travel, you have people making more money and spending it on leisure travel. Just my guess.

A rising tide lifts all boats. The US domestic sector has been exploding the past 3-4 years. OKC is a little late to the party.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    I think number of people in the airport is what determines services in the airport. The type of people they are play a part, I understand. But our numbers in our airport are getting close to JAX, why does their airport have so much more in types of services than WRWA? Why can't we get more in terms of stores and restaurants? Don't tell me it's because they have an NFL team and beaches nearby. We have an NBA team. There were very few tourists on my flights.

And don't say it's because of the Super Bowl. If it was then those places would have closed because of lack of business since then.

Does the JAX airport just do a better job of building space for businesses and then leasing space that works for tenants?
    Maybe Josh can enlighten us as to why there aren't more services offered. It could be as simple as our traffic counts have sucked such that there was no need for such services. Of course, we might want to get the current operators functioning properly consistently before we push for any new ones.

13. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Maybe Josh can enlighten us as to why there aren't more services offered. It could be as simple as our traffic counts have sucked such that there was no need for such services. Of course, we might want to get the current operators functioning properly consistently before we push for any new ones.
    Yes, important to note that every single store and restaurant was open and operating upon arrival and departure in JAX. That's a rarity in OKC.

14. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

and heres more food for thought, JAX likely does not have much connecting traffic to necessitate such a captive demand anymoreso than the argument that OKC does not. ...

My opinion, OKC's airport has amenities like one that only has 2m pax per year or less; totally embarrassing when you compare to airports and cities IN OUR LEAGUE and a few below. OKC and JAX have the same population at nearly and just above 1.5m respectfully. And since JAX has beaches, I'd argue that they wouldn't therefore need much amenities in their airport. ...

Then theres OMA, TUL, and LIT - all cities far smaller than OKC yet the airport experience is better in many ways. I personally challenge WRWA to think like a big city airport, get amenities and venues in the facility. Make WRWA a destination, perhaps a venue or two where folks would WANT to hang out like obvious is the case at JAX despite their having a beach scene.

Airports offer the best impression of a city aside from its downtown; we have downtown OKC covered and are continuing improvements to the core, now the airport needs to catch up. And I think there may be significant rewards upcoming if WRWA takes on the challenge given the potential new airline entries and with OKC becoming more of a tourism destination period. I think a very KEY area is the desolate downstairs - arrivals area. Why not activate this space with a cafe and bar and/or sit down restaurant that could be enjoyed by anyone. Maybe find some sort of way to tie at least part of the lower-level up since that's were most people enter, draw them downstairs. Give arriving passengers using the arrivals that OKC is a happening area, have some nice area for them to eat/drink while waiting for the shuttle.

These are all things that can be done at other airports, should be an expectation at WRWA and I'd argue a very easy gain with huge impact.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

One compliant I have is the rideshare location.

I used Lyft last month. I went downstairs to grab my bag from baggage claim, then had to go back upstairs again to the rideshare pickup area. Who’s dumb idea was that? Rideshare should pick up downstairs... in the ARRIVALS area.

I used Lyft last month. I went downstairs to grab my bag from baggage claim, then had to go back upstairs again to the rideshare pickup area. Who’s dumb idea was that? Rideshare should pick up downstairs... in the ARRIVALS area.
    I’ve always preferred to be picked up upstairs by rideshares and friends/family. It’s almost always much less congested and easier to spot a rideshare car and vice versa. It’s also easier for them to get in and out of the arrivals area.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I’ve always preferred to be picked up upstairs by rideshares and friends/family. It’s almost always much less congested and easier to spot a rideshare car and vice versa. It’s also easier for them to get in and out of the arrivals area.
    If you only have a carry on, I can see that. But if you have luggage to be picked up from baggage claim it’s a hassle.

That is better than what I see in a lot of airports. Vegas....you have to hike to the short term parking. Of course you travel alot also so I am sure you have seen worse and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    That is better than what I see in a lot of airports. Vegas....you have to hike to the short term parking. Of course you travel alot also so I am sure you have seen worse and better.
    LAS, McCarran in Vegas, does have ride share on the 2nd story of the parking garage, attached to baggage claim. The reason this was probably done was similar to OKC moving it to arrivals. It helps with congestion already in the pickup/arrival area. Departure drop offs are much quicker since it is drop and go. Arrivals are dependent on a lot factors that can increase wait times and can grow car queue lines. The number of passengers using Uber/Lyft at McCarran is huge! The cab/taxi lines are already packed on one side of baggage claim, the other side has already been claimed by limos and shuttle busses.

You could always call your driver too en route and tell them to pick you up on the departure level.

20. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Shhhhh...don't let the secret get out.

If you only have a carry on, I can see that. But if you have luggage to be picked up from baggage claim it’s a hassle.
    Is going back up an escalator really that much of a hassle?

For the record, it’s the same in Denver. Uber/Lyft pick up and drop off on the departure level (Level 6) and the baggage claim is below on Level 5.

Is going back up an escalator really that much of a hassle?

For the record, it’s the same in Denver. Uber/Lyft pick up and drop off on the departure level (Level 6) and the baggage claim is below on Level 5.
    It’s pretty inefficient. Especially when you go down to the Transportation Plaza and see how underutilized it is. Cars also don’t queue at the terminal, Uber and Lyft both require drivers to park in the cell phone lot before they can accept a ride at the airport. Just give them a spot in the Transportation Plaza for pick ups.

23. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

That's more or less a requirement set forth by the taxi unions I'd imagine. Can't have Uber where a taxi would normally sit and wait.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm curious about this too. Our concession options are so embarrasingly bad, it's insane. It's crazy to me that we don't have simple basics like Starbucks or McDonald's. Those are places I rarely go to if given a choice but in airports I don't mind - normally they're quick, efficient, and predictable - perfect for an airport.

And the places we do have are barely open! Does Coolgreens still close at 6 PM? What the hell is the point of them taking up so much prime real estate if they don't even serve dinner? Why don't our airport folks solve issues like this? Quite frustrating.

It’s pretty inefficient. Especially when you go down to the Transportation Plaza and see how underutilized it is. Cars also don’t queue at the terminal, Uber and Lyft both require drivers to park in the cell phone lot before they can accept a ride at the airport. Just give them a spot in the Transportation Plaza for pick ups.
    I've seen this other places too. Definitely DEN - maybe even LAX requires you to go back up to departures to catch an Uber. Hell, doesn't LGA require a bus ride to their Uber pickup? I'd rather go up the escalators than take a bus.

Thread Information