Widgets Magazine

Thread: The demise of Rok Bar?

Bricktown3 The demise of Rok Bar?

Sorry if there is already a thread for this... if there is, please merge

So, a few weeks ago, it seemed that Rok Bar was renovating, then as I was walking to work on Saturday, I paused (in the rain) and stared at the Rok Bar space. Much to my suprise, the sign was gone, the decals on the windows were gone, the slutty poster was gone... all that was there was a sign that said "Coming Soon" with no indication of what was coming soon...

Anyone know about this?

Default Re: The demise of Rok Bar?

A Google search shows a new place called "Club Rio on the Canal" at 119 E. California.

Club Rio was the tenant before Rok Bar Pete. I only know this cause my friends dad owned it. They closed long before Rok Bar came around.

Thanks for the clarification.

Looking at Rok Bar's twitter and FB feeds, there hasn't been anything new posted in a while. I suspect they just died a slow death.

Having that guy brutally beaten to death right outside their doors sure didn't help.

But by all accounts, they helped create that situation.

Another one bites the dust. Plenty of people willing to start clubs/bars, but very few that can keep them open.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Another one bites the dust. Plenty of people willing to start clubs/bars, but very few that can keep them open.
    Fits right in with the marriage success rate in our fair state. Lots of folks think it's a great idea, but far fewer seem capable of putting in the necessary effort.

Rumor has it they are going through an extensive de-Skankification process that may take weeks

I guess the owners are making enough money with Dollhouse that they don't need rok anymore?

good riddance, that place was crap

Rok Bar was open for 5 years. I guess some people thought it was pretty cool. The owners are renovating the space and it will re-open soon as a new concept.

Also, I'm not sure that we've had an unusual amount of club/bar turnover in Bricktown.

Citywalk has been there a long time and isn't Skyy Bar still going as well? There are tons of other bars and restaurants that have been operating for more than 10 years with new ones opening all the time.

Because it's a concentrated area, turnover is obvious but it's also true there is a tremendous amount of stability and when a operation does go out, almost always something new comes in right behind it.

13. Default Re: The demise of Rok Bar?

Is Coyote Ugly still around?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    This isn't unique to OKC. In most cities the nightclub business is a revolving door, except for the select few that seem to last decades. A 5 year run for Rok is pretty good. What matters is that something is opening to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Is Coyote Ugly still around?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    This isn't unique to OKC. In most cities the nightclub business is a revolving door, except for the select few that seem to last decades. A 5 year run for Rok is pretty good. What matters is that something is opening to replace it.
    I didn't say it was unique to OKC and the "Plenty of people willing to start bars" comment I made goes along with it being replaced with something else.

Thread Information