Widgets Magazine

Thread: Abandoned Church W. California / Shartel Demo

Film Exchange Abandoned Church W. California / Shartel Demo

Across from the City Rescure Mission. Apologies if there is already a thread about this, or if this is in the wrong place. Currently being Demolished as this is posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	church.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	925.7 KB 
ID:	2620  

Default Re: Abandoned Church W. California / Shartel Demo

Currently being Demolished, across from the City rescure mission. Anybody have an idea of what it going in its place?

It's owned by the City Rescue Mission and they just wanted to demolish it because they said it was beyond repair.

The city staff recommended the demolition permit be denied, by the Downtown Design Review Committee approved it.

The Rescue Mission just bought this building either this year for only $100K.

The City Rescue Mission spends $100,000 + demolition costs + paving to create additional parking!?

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    That is heartbreaking. And for surface parking too...
    Agree. The church had lots of character! OKC certainly does not need more of surface parking. Downtown needs more density, however, the church is old and diapidated and needs to come down. Outsiders from OKC come to visit and notice all the dirty old buildings just sitting there rotting away. I am all for aesthetics and making my hometown more clean and to force slum lord owners to either remove these ugly eyesores that make OKC a dirty and unkempt city.

I don't know their motives, but if they bought it because it's in horrible disrepair and endangers some of the people they service, then buying it, making it safe, and having a piece of property that just may be valuable some day isn't a bad proposition. Depending on what happens to the Crosstown Boulevard (that's what google maps calls it), it could be a very valuable piece of property. I don't know.

Welp we're never getting that back.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    Welp we're never getting that back.
    nope, but look on the bright side. At least now folks will know for 100+ years what will be at that site. Gives them freedom to focus on other spots and all that.

Where else do you expect the homeless to park?

Sigh..........

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    Where else do you expect the homeless to park?
    I was wondering the same thing. How much parking does a rescue mission need?

Lets be realistic...The city will not want the City Rescue Meeting in that location when the Boulevard comes through. The Mission is probably buying it up as an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hudson View Post
    Lets be realistic...The city will not want the City Rescue Meeting in that location when the Boulevard comes through. The Mission is probably buying it up as an investment.
    That's what I fear. They're becoming real estate speculators which isn't their mission, and probably something they're not qualified to do.

I make charitable donations to organizations that will be good stewards of my money, providing it directly to those they serve. Not hustlers trying to make a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    That's what I fear. They're becoming real estate speculators which isn't their mission, and probably something they're not qualified to do.

I make charitable donations to organizations that will be good stewards of my money, providing it directly to those they serve. Not hustlers trying to make a buck.
    Perhaps an individual donor did this for them so that an unsafe building could be razed.

City Rescue Mission is not buying it as an investment and they are not trying to "make a buck". The Mission is expanding rapidly, opening a new Men's Center next year and a new Food Resource Center in a week. Although it is sad to see the church gone, the parking actually is needed. Also, the church was dangerous and keeping it standing would do more harm than good. It is right next to the Mission's Job Placement Center and across from their Social Services Department and Food Center, as well as it's Health Clinic, Tutoring Center, etc... If any place is making sure the money goes directly to those in need, it is City Rescue. They are the largest shelter in the state, and one of the only ones that houses families. They are not just a homeless shelter though. If you don't know anything about them, just go take a tour or check out cityrescue.org

The city is also aware of the Mission's expansion plans and fully supports them. The Mission won't be moving when the Boulevard comes through. It will run right behind it like the old I-40 did.

Thread Information