Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11th & Penn

Northwest OKC 11th & Penn

A strip of retail space has received a nice renovation; this is on the east side of Penn between NW 11th & 12th and due east of Nic's Grill.

Owned by Caughron Corsair LLC. Caughron is Michael Caughron of Edmond and I assume Corsair are the Corsair Cattle Co. people. Thanks to Metro for the current photo.

Before:

Default Re: 11th & Penn

nice little clean up project

Well, I guess we can cross this off as a potential site for bajillion story new mystery tower to go...

But on a serious note, it looks great. It really makes this intersection seem nicer, which was needed. I drive penn home everday and feel like I am driving through the ghetto. I always try and keep people from taking penn off the highway to my house because of how run down penn is up to 12th st.

Really curious as to what is going to be going in here. Hopefully something that will up the value of the area, and not another resale or dollar general type place.

Holy crap! I always thought that strip could be nice when waiting in line for a burger, but thought it crazy to get my hopes up. I think we're really going to see CTP take off big.

Really nice upgrade considering the area. Also looks like they got rid of the furniture store tenant that would have their crap strewn across the parking lot all day.

6. Default

They look great I think. I work at Langston's warehouse/offices in the area and always pass these buildings when trekking to 23rd for lunch. It really has cleaned up the impression of the area north of the 10th/Penn intersection. Pennsylvania from 40-10th could just use some reconstruction of infrastructure IMO; there are plenty of healthy albeit ugly industrial buildings that include Hunzicker Bros, a Wesco facility, Kam's, OKC Water, and some extremely old industrial buildings that NEED to go. They've just put up a new gas station at Main and Penn, which has done wonders for that intersection alone. They've also built a new structure along Penn that replaces some older buildings of the same use. Soon the Salvation Army complex will be rising from the horrible giant dirt lot that blasts my car with a fine layer of dust every day...

All in all, I say it's nice to see even minor improvements to a part of the city that has been long forgotten and avoided.

Has the old movie theater in that strip been used for anything recently?

There's a similarly cool and forgotten old movie theater at May and NW 15th.

After some research, I discovered that that theater was called "Penn Theater" which opened on June 13th, 1940 and then sometime in the early 60's became the Trend:

Most recently, it was a horrific junk store:

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    They look great I think. I work at Langston's warehouse/offices in the area and always pass these buildings when trekking to 23rd for lunch. It really has cleaned up the impression of the area north of the 10th/Penn intersection. Pennsylvania from 40-10th could just use some reconstruction of infrastructure IMO; there are plenty of healthy albeit ugly industrial buildings that include Hunzicker Bros, a Wesco facility, Kam's, OKC Water, and some extremely old industrial buildings that NEED to go. They've just put up a new gas station at Main and Penn, which has done wonders for that intersection alone. They've also built a new structure along Penn that replaces some older buildings of the same use. Soon the Salvation Army complex will be rising from the horrible giant dirt lot that blasts my car with a fine layer of dust every day...

All in all, I say it's nice to see even minor improvements to a part of the city that has been long forgotten and avoided.
    While some of the others are accurate, I take exception to the Kams description. It is well kept and nicely landscaped...hardly what I would describe as an "ugly industrial building".

I agree the reno looks petty good but I wasn't sure about the style from one end to the other, but thanks to Pete's before/after pics, it seems consistent with what was there

Hopefully the collection of Salvation Army building will be replaced once they get their new facility built on the old AMC site.

I love the character of the brick OKC Water buildings, but they could certainly do something about what looks like rusted out storage tank. Don't know if anything is in it, but who wants their drinking water being held in a rusty looking storage unit?

There is an abandoned/boarded up Del Rancho that needs to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    There's a similarly cool and forgotten old movie theater at May and NW 15th.
    I didn't forget the May Theater, Spartan. LOL

I went to a lot of movies both there and the Penn Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I didn't forget the May Theater, Spartan. LOL

I went to a lot of movies both there and the Penn Theater.
    There are a couple of cool looking buildings on May from i think 14th to 17th. Always that it could be a cool little district of its own. The theater is owned by a church now - thought it would be a great concert venue.

13. Default Re: 11th & Penn

Both May and Penn from 10th to 23rd have considerable inventories of interesting historic commercial buildings. I think both of them easily rival Western Avenue in this regard and ostensibly have similar potential to Western. The only problem is that neither are bordered by the same quality of relatively stable (and in some cases upscale) residential neighborhoods that Western has benefited from for decades.

That has been changing though, and I think for instance that the Plaza District's recent improvements greatly enhance the chances for this area of Penn.

14. Default Re: 11th & Penn

By the way, I'm not saying there are NO good neighborhoods bordering those sections of May and Penn; there most certainly are. I'm just saying that the ones bordering Western have been much more rock-solid over the past 25 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ...Most recently, it was a horrific junk store:...
    You need to learn when to bike your tongue! As far as junk stores go, this was one of the finest. I went there many time and was sad to see it go.

Default Re: Plaza District

I heard that the Trolley Stop record store on Classen will be relocating to a larger location in the Plaza District.

17. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I heard that the Trolley Stop record store on Classen will be relocating to a larger location in the Plaza District.
    That would be great. There's been a giant record store-sized hole there since Size closed.

Blog Entries

but then they can't call themselves trolley stop record shop? because no longer by the trolley stop? though I presume plaza was a trolley stop back then, so possibly a moot post...

Quote Originally Posted by zefferoni View Post
    That would be great. There's been a giant record store-sized hole there since Size closed.
    Indeed! Strangely, being the massive record geek I am, I've never been to Trolley Stop - are they equivalent to Size and Guestroom (inasmuch as having loads of alternative/weird/metal stuff as well as the usual suspects)?

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Great news! Trolley Stop is an excellent record store. You'll find a lot of stuff in it that you won't find at any of the other record stores. The Plaza District is also a perfect fit for them. I am hoping it's easier to navigate in the new location because the current location is a mess. They also have a lot of material that isn't in the main store because they don't have room for it. Hopefully in the new location they will be able to put it on the shelves.

21. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Indeed! Strangely, being the massive record geek I am, I've never been to Trolley Stop - are they equivalent to Size and Guestroom (inasmuch as having loads of alternative/weird/metal stuff as well as the usual suspects)?
    I actually haven't been there somehow, but my impression is that they don't have newer/alternative music and mainly stick to the classics. I'd love to see them branch out a bit with the new store.

Sounds like they might be worth a stop (ha) after they move to the Plaza, not sure if they'll be a regular one like Guestroom is, thanks...

From what I have heard the owner has a massive record collection, but didn't have the space at his current location. So we will see how this turns out.

Which space will they be occupying?

Quote Originally Posted by zefferoni View Post
    I actually haven't been there somehow, but my impression is that they don't have newer/alternative music and mainly stick to the classics. I'd love to see them branch out a bit with the new store.
    Trolley Stop is much more of a "collector's" vinyls shop. Not many new releases but man-o-man if you are patient you can find just about anything recorded in there.

Thread Information