Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Drivers License design

Default Re: New Drivers License design

Elder son, a student in Mobile AL, forgot to renew his dl when he was home for a bit this summer. He now has a shiny new AL license. However, as he's also talking about staying put after graduation, that's probably for the best.

We're both good for a while still yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    I recall a few years back the Legislature was requiring/talking about "digital fingerprint" technology being built into the drivers licenses...this was ahead of federal regulations after 9-11 etc. Don't know what happened, if it was ever implemented etc???
    My GA license from 12 years ago had a weird QR-code like section on the back that was a digitized record of my finger prints(all 10, if I recall correctly). I'm surprised you don't see that else where.

from News9

OK Driver's Licenses Not Secure; Will No Longer Be Accepted In Certain Areas

OKLAHOMA CITY - If you rely on your Oklahoma Driver's license to get into a secure area like a federal building or an airplane, things will be changing. Oklahoma is one of a handful of states that hasn't complied with a federal mandate to make our driver's licenses more secure.
    Beginning in 2015, you won't be able to use your Oklahoma Driver's license as an ID to get through security at federal buildings. And in 2016 you won't be able to use it at the airport either.

“You would be required to have a driver's license or passport or some other federal ID to actually go through the TSA checkpoint or fly on a commercial aircraft,” explained Karen Carney, spokeswoman with the Will Rogers World Airport.

That's because back in 2005, Congress passed the REAL ID Act that would make it harder for terrorists to get fake ID's. But in 2007, Oklahoma passed a law forbidding compliance with the act.

On Tuesday the Department of Public Safety says because of that law it "is not taking steps to ensure compliance with the federal REAL ID Act, and has not implemented any policy or practice for the purpose of meeting any of the act's requirements."

- OK Driver's Licenses Not Secure; Will No Longer Be Accepted In C - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

God this state is so stupid. Why do we try to make things harder on ourselves? Will now need to carry a passport to fly anywhere.

We have to be one of the most stubborn and ass-backwards states in the Union.

HangryHippo Guest

What a damn embarrassment.

2016 is the earliest that it can be implemented for airports. Very doubtful that it will be

As always a very poorly sourced tv article

I honestly don't know much about this issue which is why I didn't say anything, but from what I read on the news article it doesn't good for the state and looks like this is yet another fail on their part.

8. Default Re: New Drivers License design

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    2016 is the earliest that it can be implemented for airports. Very doubtful that it will be

As always a very poorly sourced tv article
    Why wouldn't it be? Vast majority of everyone is already compliant, it is just a selective few that aren't.

REAL ID Enforcement in Brief | Homeland Security

In terms of not meeting the first benchmark for federal building access...

Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, Oklahoma, and Washington. Of those...MN, NY, and WA get a pass because they have the Enhanced Driver's Licenses already.

So I'm going to need a passport to fly over Oklahoma's southern border? Holy smokes I guess it is true, Tejas is like whole other country. Mind BLOWN.

10. Default Re: New Drivers License design

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    I like it. Super handy and a really smart idea. I wish every state offered it.
    Yeah. After we move next year, we'll be going to a state that will have them and we will be getting them. It'll make it easy going over into Ontario on the weekends.

Response to Post #1:

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Here is a link from The Oklahoman: Oklahoma driver's license will get makeover | News OK

Attachment 2528
    A sample of the redesigned Oklahoma driver’s license to be rolled out statewide over the next three to four months is shown. Photo provided by Oklahoma Department of Public Safety
    Dang. Sumbitch. Nuff Sed. (I reckon) . . .
    (go on about your business and slow down to the speed limit . . . 'kay?_)
    (and the next time I catch you texting in the left turn lane it will be a ticket fer shure . . . =)

At this point I am just happy I didn't have to jump through multiple hoops to renew mine when i was a couple weeks late. Hadn't looked at the DL for several several months, and had flat forgot it was this to renew this summer. Dropped the mini wallet a few weeks back and as I reloaded, I noticed the DL was expired.

Oh well, better to find out where I was standing than find out while looking out the window at an officer with a oh wow, guess I am that dumb look on my face.
    Fortunately it was only a couple weeks out so go in, hand it over, a bit of minor ribbing at myself for being a dufus, and pay the normal fee.

Had I not lost my grip on the mini that day, I likely still would not know. I rarely write checks that are not mailed so no one ever asks for it anymore.

Bullet dodged. Had it been out a while longer, I think it would have been time to track down the extra hoops and hurdles outfit before getting a new one. (on edit - got curious and called. actually, up to one year, it can be renewed without a headache. better than I recalled.)

So at that point would you have to have a passport or could you get by with a second ID? For example SDA license.

14. Default Re: New Drivers License design

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    God this state is so stupid. Why do we try to make things harder on ourselves? Will now need to carry a passport to fly anywhere.

We have to be one of the most stubborn and ass-backwards states in the Union.
    The passage of the REAL ID Act had significant backlash (rightly or wrongly) after it became law. Oklahoma was only one of many states that passed legislation against the law. Also, keep in mind this act was signed into law by George W. Bush, not Obama.

REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    The passage of the REAL ID Act had significant backlash (rightly or wrongly) after it became law. Oklahoma was only one of many states that passed legislation against the law. Also, keep in mind this act was signed into law by George W. Bush, not Obama.

REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    While many states may have passed feel good legislation against the law, only the citizens in 6 states are not in compliance with the law.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Yeah. After we move next year, we'll be going to a state that will have them and we will be getting them. It'll make it easy going over into Ontario on the weekends.
    You might want to double check on the ease of auto travel into Canada. Last I checked you need a passport regardless of real id status. You can however get a passport card for non air travel into Mexico or Canada. Passport cards are available for a reduced rate than what is charged for a passport. This past summer I was thinking of taking a train from NYC to MTL and I checked into what was needed.

I don't plan on flying any where, but will there be a problem in going into Federal Buildings with only an Oklahoma DL?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    You can used your WA Enhanced DL to get into Canada. Not sure which state he's moving to but a WA EDL works at the border here.
    Thanks for the information, Sid. Of course living in this state of rugged individualism I'll have to go the passport route.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    I don't plan on flying any where, but will there be a problem in going into Federal Buildings with only an Oklahoma DL?
    From post # 31: "Beginning in 2015, you won't be able to use your Oklahoma Driver's license as an ID to get through security at federal buildings."

I was told that the current Oklahoma drivers licenses were something like a 10 year contract with a certain company, and that the state would go with another company in the coming years, thus changing our licenses again.

Anyone with tag agency knowledge know anything about this?

Ah, I'm in luck. I'm only at the airport about once a month to fly somewhere. [/sarcasm]

Venture,
    But isn't a passport required to go into Canada (and Mexico) now? If so, the drivers license won't be asked for at TSA.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    I just noticed that somebody brought this up already. I should have read the rest of the comments before I opened my mouth.
    Last edited by ctchandler; 09-17-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Previous post

Another example of the Oklahoma legislature tilting at wind mills. A solution would be a tax credit for everyone to get a passport. Seems like the legislature hands those credits out to all askers anyway.

Thread Information