Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: OnCue OKC Expansion

Default Re: OnCue OKC Expansion

Ooooof that intersection is going to be a mess. Oncue's are busy 24/7 and that's a weird corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, that is the plan.
    Oh... Oh no. The house in the lower right corner of your photo - 1116 NW 13th St - is a very recently redone Craftsman style house built in 1909, according to recent assessor data, and it sold to OnCue in July for $331,000. The house is stunningly gorgeous! Photos are listed on Zillow: https://www.zillow.com/homes/1116-NW...,-OK-73106_rb/

I assume, if they're wanting a square plot of land, that they also want the house immediately to the south (1121 NW 12th St); That house is another gorgeous Craftsman style house, built in 2014 by Jeff Struble Construction to match the character of the neighborhood (again, according to assessor data).

The house that fronts Western - 1303 N Western Ave - was also built in 1909, according to assessor data. It was most recently used as the home of Christopher A. Wood & Associates / Affoardable Legal Service.

I don't want to lose any of these houses, but it'd be an easier pill to swallow if we only lost the one on Western. Can they not fit their store on the already vacant land immediately to the east?

And it's already the best grocery store "downtown". Unless you count the updated Homeland just up the street. So 2nd best. We all wanted a decent grocery store/convenient store, but not like this. NOT LIKE THIS.

What a joke.

BIG OnCue fan here. This is a huge misfire. A suburban style convenience store at this location is just a bad idea. Give us an urban design that serves the inner core with class. I'm also not excited about the recently remodeled classic home from 1909 being destroyed for this. I like the idea of a store here, but not as designed. Please, OnCue, rethink this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Disagree about needing a large gas station in the core. This will be really nice to have nearby...especially with the drive through wine pickup, just wish they would do something more creative than a basic suburban design.
    I personally don’t like large gas stations but that’s just my preference. I think this would make more sense closer to the new boulevard.

Whatever happens, I am interested to see their proposed site plan. Maybe they’ll surprise us. Not sure if these exists(I haven’t seen in LA or other big cities I’ve been to), but I wonder if they could have two level station. I don’t know if safety requirements would prohibit that.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I personally don’t like large gas stations but that’s just my preference. I think this would make more sense closer to the new boulevard.

Whatever happens, I am interested to see their proposed site plan. Maybe they’ll surprise us. Not sure if these exists(I haven’t seen in LA or other big cities I’ve been to), but I wonder if they could have two level station. I don’t know if safety requirements would prohibit that.
    This reminds me of the area just as you are entering the Holland Tunnel to Manhattan. There are some sizable gas stations right before the tolls to the tunnel that line one of the main thorough fares into and out of Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    This reminds me of the area just as you are entering the Holland Tunnel to Manhattan. There are some sizable gas stations right before the tolls to the tunnel that line one of the main thorough fares into and out of Manhattan.
    I hear 'ya. The difference being you could drop absolutely anything in Manhattan and it still be urban. NYC is NYC.

Some additional images:

Absolutely massive misfire. And as suspected, they do plan to take the new house on 12th St too. Do they already have that property under contract?

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Absolutely massive misfire. And as suspected, they do plan to take the new house on 12th St too. Do they already have that property under contract?
    Yes, all the properties are under contract.

Reminder they do not need design approval but will need to get re-zoning from the planning commission.

An atrocity...

13. Default Re: OnCue OKC Expansion

Honestly, this is just terrible. This intersection deserves something of a much higher and better use, or at least with an urban site plan. To know that this gas station will serve as an entrance to Midtown/Downtown from Classen headed south, for decades to come, just makes my blood boil.

At the end of the day, OnCue may be nicer than our other gas stations and we might not have minded them elsewhere throughout the city, but this is just f**ked. Especially considering the previous proposal was incredibly urban. This blows. It also upsets me that there isn't even an attempt in the site plan to build something with a more urban form.

And it would be simple to do as OnCue's already have entrances from the front and back! Just flip the building to the east side, fronting the street, with the pumps in the back! I just don't get it.

I don't have anything original to add here, but do feel the need to chime in and agree with everyone else who thinks this is a horrible idea. Not quite as bad as what Braum's had planned for Classen Circle, but definitely in the same ballpark, at least.

Has anybody contacted OnCue yet about this horrible design? Do they listen to people? If we all email/call them, will they care? If the neighborhood association tells them nobody wants that design, will they care? Or are they just going to do whatever they want no matter what?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Does OnCue listen to people? If we all email/call them, will they care? If the neighborhood association tells them nobody wants that design, will they care? Or are they just going to do whatever they want no matter what?
    They have to go through a re-zoning process with the planning department.

You can be sure concerned citizens and neighbors will be heard.

As much as I hate this, OnCue will make BANK with this location. Money talks. They have the money. Whatcha gonna do? I'll come camp there and chain my body to the Earth if someone will come with me. Unfortunately I do not have millions of dollars to invest into this corner. Neither did previous developers, apparently. But OnCue sure does.

This property is outside design review. It pretty much stops on the east side of Classen.

So that additional layer of protection is not in play here.

I think a campaign to email or write letters to their corporate office is at least worth a shot!

I hadn't noticed the elevation change from Classen going west, those houses will be looking down into the OnCue. Very interesting.

On another note, doesn't Tulsa have rather large QuikTrips throughout the city? I remember thinking they seemed kind of large for the urban area, but they are nice to have over dingy, cramped gas stations with two or flour pumps.

21. Default Re: OnCue OKC Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This property is outside design review. It pretty much stops on the east side of Classen.

So that additional layer of protection is not in play here.
    Which is ironic because a few years ago an Office Depot was proposed almost directly across the street and died on the vine because it was only a two story Office Depot (!!), whereas design guidelines called for three stories and zero setback on that side of the street (if I recall...LakeEffect might be able to help here if my facts aren't straight).

I'm in no way opposed to an OnCue in this general vicinity, but I also have trouble imagining how you could do it with any type of urban plan at all and still have it be executed at the scale at which they are building them. But for my money I think the Office Depot would have been far more important to the ecosystem here.

At 1.72 acres, this would be small by OnCue standards but still way bigger than anything like it in the core.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out with the Planning Commission.

On Cue should go into the Gold Dome. They could put the pumps on the east side along Western, & they would have vehicular access from all four sides of the block. They could be historic preservation heros and make a ton of money at this location.

Quote Originally Posted by RBS View Post
    On Cue should go into the Gold Dome. They could put the pumps on the east side along Western, & they would have vehicular access from all four sides of the block. They could be historic preservation heros and make a ton of money at this location.
    That makes fairly good sense, not quite sure of the logistics of the layout pump-wise since I'm not completely familiar with the lot size, etc., and too lazy to google it right now. The Gold Dome is a super-problematic building for someone to take over and do right (not quite sure what "right" is in this case since it's so unusual, but not tearing the entire inside out and keeping it as historical as possible while still staying economically viable and profitable seems about "right" ), but something like that might seem to work. No idea how much more it would cost to retrofit the bldg and keep its historical facets in play, yet still be functional as a gas station/convenience store, but OnCue probably has the money.

As you said, they'd come off heroes and makes tons of $$$$$$, think about how popular it would become on social media - coolest fill-up in the state...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That makes fairly good sense, not quite sure of the logistics of the layout pump-wise since I'm not completely familiar with the lot size, etc., and too lazy to google it right now. The Gold Dome is a super-problematic building for someone to take over and do right (not quite sure what "right" is in this case since it's so unusual, but not tearing the entire inside out and keeping it as historical as possible while still staying economically viable and profitable seems about "right" ), but something like that might seem to work. No idea how much more it would cost to retrofit the bldg and keep its historical facets in play, yet still be functional as a gas station/convenience store, but OnCue probably has the money.

As you said, they'd come off heroes and makes tons of $$$$$$, think about how popular it would become on social media - coolest fill-up in the state...
    And it is on the historic Rt 66!

Thread Information