Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Rooster

Paseo Red Rooster

I have never heard anyone talk about this place and I've personally never been in -- mainly because I always forget about it.

Looks like a really cool spot and I know it's been there since 1937.

Does anybody go and if so, what's the food and atmosphere like??

http://redroosterokc.com/

2. Default Re: Red Rooster (NW 30th & Walker)

It's been awhile since I've been there, but it was definitely a dive when I was. However, I'm not saying that's a bad thing. There are times when you want to go to a dive, and the Red Rooster would certainly fill that bill.

I also wouldn't wear anything that requires dry cleaning, as it's quite saturated with a decades-old smell of smoke, but they have cheap beer. And sometimes, cheap beer is all you need, my friend.
    Still corrupting young minds

Default Re: Red Rooster (NW 30th & Walker)

Popped in there late a few months back to catch up with friends and it was definitely a dive...Seemed to be ok but didn't have anything that stood out at all

When I lived in OKC I used to go there all the time. Great little neighborhood beer bar, no liquor. Great jukebox. Divey, smokey.

Was there just a couple weeks ago. Took a cousin of mine from Austin on somewhat of a pub crawl. We went to Republic, McNellie's, Saints, and finally Red Rooster that night, and I think he actually wound up liking Red Rooster the best out of all of them.

It's a laid back kind of place that let a buddy of mine do this a few years ago:

I'd be there every night if I lived in the area.

"Smokey" is all I need to know, and I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    "Smokey" is all I need to know, and I'll leave it at that.
    Frequenting the Rooster will turn you into beef jerky after a while. So if that's not your thing...

Default Re: Red Rooster

The Red Rooster is sort of the extended living room for a lot of Paseo, Jeff Park and Edgemere. It supports a great sense of community and I think a lot of folks would be quite surprised at how many professional folks from the area frequent the Rooster daily. It's just a great little dive bar in the best sense and they sling some pretty awesome burgers and sandwiches.

9. Default Re: Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    The Red Rooster is sort of the extended living room for a lot of Paseo, Jeff Park and Edgemere. It supports a great sense of community and I think a lot of folks would be quite surprised at how many professional folks from the area frequent the Rooster daily. It's just a great little dive bar in the best sense and they sling some pretty awesome burgers and sandwiches.
    Do they still allow smoking?

Yep. However they have completely revamped the smoke eater machines and it is noticeably less smokey. And because they are no serving food until 1:00' dogs have been relegated to the patio out front.

I don't understand how bars that only offer 3.2 beers stay in business. I love the vibe of the Rooster, but I have no reason to go and drink watery beer and smell like smoke.

Unfortunately, the Rooster is about three feet too close to Edgemere Elementary for liquor. I understand that if they can get their food sales up enough they will pursue a high point beer and wine license.

Schools can give permission to allow ABC-3 can they not? It's only churches that create a hard-lined, no exceptions ban on any ABC-3 license.

I don't believe schools can. The only exception I know of is OCU-ACM and that required a change to state law.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Schools can give permission to allow ABC-3 can they not? It's only churches that create a hard-lined, no exceptions ban on any ABC-3 license.
    A college or a university can give their permission to allow a bar to operate under an ABC3 permit, but not an Elementary School.

16. Default Re: Red Rooster

If they could get food sales to greater than 50% they could be licensed ABC-2 with a full bar (strong beer, wine, liquor), and there would be no school setback restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    If they could get food sales to greater than 50% they could be licensed ABC-2 with a full bar (strong beer, wine, liquor), and there would be no school setback restriction.
    Correct. If they are not currently zoned for ABC2, then they would have to apply for the Zoning. They are then liable to get audited at any time to check their food sales.

The part that no one could really answer was, what would happen if you weren't meeting 51% food sales and instead 50% or more came from alcohol sales...

I'm not sure if they didn't know or didn't want to tell me. I suspect they don't have enough people employed to truly regulate this. And I'm curious what would really happen, do they shut you down or give you a fine???

Anyone know what's going on with the remodel here? I believe they have been closed for about a month. This is my favorite dive bar in OKC, but they've never been particularly busy when I've been there, so I'm hoping the remodel doesn't turn into a permanent closure.

19. Default Re: Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Anyone know what's going on with the remodel here? I believe they have been closed for about a month. This is my favorite dive bar in OKC, but they've never been particularly busy when I've been there, so I'm hoping the remodel doesn't turn into a permanent closure.
    I spoke with the new proprietor this week and they told me they are renovating the space. Apparently they are obtaining an ABC-2 license and it will be non-smoking once they open.

When I lived nearby I found Red Rooster to be a little too unwelcoming. There are always "regulars" at any bar, but the Rooster's regulars were unwelcoming. Also the smokiness. I hope the new proprietor makes some changes! I love the location and I love a good dive. I'm just not one for sitting in a smoke-filled dive.

nm

Quote Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
    I spoke with the new proprietor this week and they told me they are renovating the space. Apparently they are obtaining an ABC-2 license and it will be non-smoking once they open.
    Thanks for the answer! Glad to hear that the renovation is going forward. Always felt that the Rooster has been one of the most laid-back bars in OKC, so hopefully once they reopen they can maintain a relaxed environment while also drawing in some more business (which certainly seems possible, as the location is well within walking distance of the main Paseo drag). Do you have any idea on an approximate timeframe for the remodel to be completed?

https://freepressokc.com/red-rooster...rn-near-paseo/

The Red Rooster Bar has been a neighborhood institution at 3100 N. Walker since 1937 and it’s about to get a long-overdue remodeling.

I expect the new build out to be quality. Gautreaux's home remodeling company, Revive, does great work restoring historic homes.

I'm very excited about this because I've always loved the look and vibe of that little neighborhood place, but wouldn't even walk in due to the smoke.

Now, it will be yet another local place in the Paseo, which is starting to become my district of choice.

Thread Information