Widgets Magazine

Thread: LKQ Salvage Yard coming to SW OKC

Default LKQ Salvage Yard coming to SW OKC

Anyone that is a DIYer when it comes to car repair, knows that OKC's salvage yards are pretty pitiful if you are working on a newer car.

From LKQs website:
    With more than 430 facilities in five countries, LKQ provides its customers with the industry’s largest selection of replacement parts and services from knowledgeable sales staff.

Until recently when I bought a new fuel efficient commuter car, I have always driven older luxury sedans and finding parts for these 5-10 year old cars is quite difficult in OKC. My last car, which I still plan on using for winter driving had a production run of roughly 7000/year. There is not one of these cars in any OKC salvage yard that I know of. So, when I needed parts for it last time I had to buy them online since the dealer prices were crazy. Whoever knew a PLASTIC headlight assembly would cost $250 from the dealer?

Recently I tried to find a sunvisor for my girlfriends SUV, it is a newer model Ford SUV. I called 8 salvage yards and had no luck finding one. I ended up buying one from LKQ and had it shipped to my house. Price was around $35. Dealer cost on this is $140.

So yeah, OKC needs a salvage yard for 5-10 year old cars, and it looks like LKQ is filling that gap. It appears the building is done and the electric fence is installed and they have some vehicles already.

It is at roughly 700 block of South Macarthur in SW OKC, however it is not open yet.

This is a good thing for OKC. Hopefully they will fill that 4-10 year old used car parts market so we dont have to send that money out-of-state.

Default Re: LKQ Salvage Yard coming to SW OKC

Great news - I will definitely check there first for parts. Insurance companies often use parts from LKQ for repairs. Technically it is an OEM part, just not a new one.

I've seen the signs around town which are probably from there: "Buy your car - $200" or something like that. (OTOH, if you sell your car for scrap you'll get close to twice that much)

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    I've seen the signs around town which are probably from there: "Buy your car - $200" or something like that. (OTOH, if you sell your car for scrap you'll get close to twice that much)
    Not anymore. Last week it was $5.50 per 100lbs = <$200.00

I think you misread there Sid. This thread isn't the OP's first rodeo here.

Good news. Last time I got a part from LKQ they had it for $50 where the dealer wanted $350 for it and the one I got even came with some free extras.

I'm glad to hear this is coming. Anyone know of the projected open date?

I think I got suckered this weekend, but wanted to get a 25 year old mercedes gone. By the time he got out there, I was hot and tired and needed it gone. Sold for "scrap" for $135. Oh, well - this was ad that said "at least $250", so seller beware. He even told me $200 over phone. At least I didn't have to pay to have it towed!

Maybe this place will have a replacement armrest for my '04 Lesabre

Thread Information