Widgets Magazine
Page 138 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3888133134135136137138139140141 LastLast
Results 3,426 to 3,450 of 3524

Thread: Cannabis

1. Default Re: Cannabis

I do wonder if they had a separate question about the expungement of old mmj related crimes would have passed. I could see more people being a yes on that.

But I was close to right with 60 - 40 No winning!

2. Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    Maybe in 10 years? I really doubt they will bring it back on the ballot next year since it failed in a landslide
    Earliest it can be back on the ballot is three years using the same criteria for inclusion on yesterday's ballot. If they want to bring it back earlier than '26, they have to get the number of signatures equal to half the number of total votes for the governor in the last election, or some such complicated qualification. Those are the two pathways.

Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Earliest it can be back on the ballot is three years using the same criteria for inclusion on yesterday's ballot. If they want to bring it back earlier than '26, they have to get the number of signatures equal to half the number of total votes for the governor in the last election, or some such complicated qualification. Those are the two pathways.
    I did not know that, thank you for that

Yes, a lot of people didn't even know it was going on. Poor advertisement for the pro campaign. I mean if you don't watch the local news or local channels you wouldn't have known about it.
    Also the votes they needed from the younger demographic of users don't watch the news, lol.

I feel like the vibe in my corners was, "we are content with the current system". That's fair.

Oklahoma just blows every chance it gets to improve itself. Oklahoma is so well positioned to rake in money from Texas it had such a good opportunity. They lost the Panasonic deal. They could’ve taxed O&G companies just a little bit more during the last oil and gas boom back in the early 2010s.

This was also purposely sabotage by the governor. It failed because voters especially in Oklahoma are too lazy to vote or care.

Maybe in 10 years? I really doubt they will bring it back on the ballot next year since it failed in a landslide
    Yeah, 10 years is how long it may take for enough Oklahomans to get over stigmatizing marijuana with hard, deadly illegal drugs, such as heroin and cocaine. We'll get an indication that is happening when penalties for illegal sales of marijuana to minors become similar to marijuana. For now, sales of alcohol to minors maxes out to $5,000 fine and 5 years in prison. For selling marijuana to a minor 4 years to LIFE with up to $40,000 fine. I'd be far more alarmed to see several teens passing around a big bottle of Everclear than passing a joint. But who knows how many voting Oklahomans would say it's no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Oklahoma just blows every chance it gets to improve itself. Oklahoma is so well positioned to rake in money from Texas it had such a good opportunity. They lost the Panasonic deal. They could’ve taxed O&G companies just a little bit more during the last oil and gas boom back in the early 2010s.

This was also purposely sabotage by the governor. It failed because voters especially in Oklahoma are too lazy to vote or care.
    No. For starters, give Oklahoma credit for expanding Medicaid, even though rural Oklahoma nearly defeated it. Alcohol laws were modernized. And of course, SQ788 was approved in a once in a lifetime legendary story of political activism. That only around $30,000 was raised to get enough signatures for a pro marijuana petition when most other places needed millions for theirs is a part of that legend. The story of how SQ788 got implemented in wild west ways was probably also legendary.

It didn't help that lies were told about SQ820. It's too long at 256 pages. The truth was that it is only 16 pages. The rest of the 256 pages were related to the petition itself not the regulations. 6 pages were about the protest that the notorious Paul Tay filed. His nonsense was that signatures taken on tribal land are invalid.

9. Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

You need to calm down!
    You’re being too loud!

-Taylor Swift

10. Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Umm ok. Guess you missed we overwhelmingly passed the most permissive medical MJ measure a few years ago. But I guess this makes us backwards again?
    I lived in Springfield, Missouri for a year, right on the edge of the Ozarks. It's the only place in the world I've ever seen someone drive a truck with an honest-to-God Nazi flag on it down the street in broad daylight.

And they have recreational marijuana before us.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I do wonder if they had a separate question about the expungement of old mmj related crimes would have passed. I could see more people being a yes on that.

But I was close to right with 60 - 40 No winning!
    Good question probably the most important part of sq820. Simple possession had been over criminalized. To the point of abuse by the system

Having the ballot in November would not have changed the outcome since it was a massive defeat

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Good question probably the most important part of sq820. Simple possession had been over criminalized. To the point of abuse by the system
    how many of the guilty simple possession pleas? are deals after originally having bigger charges??

Having the ballot in November would not have changed the outcome since it was a massive defeat
    no necessarily true. the only thing we do know is that the turnout would have been much greater had it been on the November ballot. you are making an assumption as to who those people would have voted.

what we do know is that 556,004 people voted Tuesday and it lost by a difference of 132,238 votes. there were an additional 586,158 who voted in November election. now yes, that means that if all if all of the same people in that 556,004 also voted in November (which is still an assumption), then 7% of that remaining 586,158 would have needed to vote in favor of it. so it does appear that it probably would not have passed. But that is not a guarantee as there are many assumptions that have to be made to come to that conclusion. i believe that there is probably right around 80% certainty that it would have failed in November. but no one can know for sure.

there is also the assumption that could have been made that had it been on the November Ballot, the voter turnout for November could have potentially been much greater and a different demographic.

And I'm sure there is a certain percentage of voters who hasn't voted since SQ788 was originally passed. The whole sunk cost fallacy, They already invested time and money getting their medical card. They got what they wanted, screw all the issues in world.

There is also going to be a certain percentage of people who opposed 820, but knew it really change anything if they bothered to show up to vote. The things they don't like about cannabis still would have existed.

Although I can't read the article, I'm glad to hear that AG Drummond is interested in revisiting expunging the low-level offenses that 820 would have addressed.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/ma...7832858f6.html

I'm guessing this mostly came down to a reaction to the way medical was implemented and many voters just felt that a 'Yes' vote would compound any problems they perceive about the current cannabis industry in the state, instead of seeing it as a way to address those concerns. I imagine if the restrictions the SQ included were emphasized along with the potential expansion of resources for regulation, it could have passed.

But I'm not even sure what the Yes campaign focused on, because, outside of a few signs in the last week or so, I didn't see any campaigning. I just get the feeling that most voters, especially No voters, didn't consider anything beyond voting on the availability of cannabis without a medical card, but maybe the Yes campaign felt that would be enough to win.

Did it even get the number of yes votes as the number of signatures the petition got?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    I lived in Springfield, Missouri for a year, right on the edge of the Ozarks. It's the only place in the world I've ever seen someone drive a truck with an honest-to-God Nazi flag on it down the street in broad daylight.

And they have recreational marijuana before us.
    I see confederate flags at least every other day but I have yet to see that. So maybe we’re not so backward as that. Was this in an actual city with a decent diverse population or Hicksville where that crap flies?

20. Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Did it even get the number of yes votes as the number of signatures the petition got?
    Substantially more. They gathered ~164,000 signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Substantially more. They gathered ~164,000 signatures.
    i mean it only got 216,883 votes... so just a little over 50k more.. i wouldn't call that substantially more.

22. Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i mean it only got 216,883 votes... so just a little over 50k more.. i wouldn't call that substantially more.
    So it got ~32% more votes than the total signatures? I’d call that substantial, but you define as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    So it got ~32% more votes than the total signatures? I’d call that substantial, but you define as you like.
    Definitely not substantial. The voter turn out to vote yes was pathetic.

I just checked and it looks like as of late summer 2021, there was almost 370K residents that had been issued a medical card. That number is likely over 500K now.

It would be interesting to see the percentage of current cardholders that went and voted YES for rec. Many of them are likely content with their current status.

To me, everything points to the YES campaign tactics as really sucky.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Although I can't read the article, I'm glad to hear that AG Drummond is interested in revisiting expunging the low-level offenses that 820 would have addressed.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/ma...7832858f6.html
    I like the sound of this, hopefully we can keep up the progress on the justice side of the issue.

Thread Information