Widgets Magazine
Page 73 of 116 FirstFirst ... 236869707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 2876

Thread: Friends for a Better Boulevard

Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

Maybe a nice cigar too.

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    ..what you don't understand is " There is always differences between proposals ". That is the nature of Large Invitiatives. There is always (some one reviewing), Like I said before, there many things that can be done to PULL it forward.

I'm not "just typing to see it on a board" , but when you get in that large conference room, they need to put excuses aside, and get this moving. This is the "$1 Billion in Economic Development waiting on a small street". NOW, I ask all of you, why are we not PULLING THIS THING THROUGH ? I don't care who gets the credit, let's just make it happen.
    Actually, were at this point in decision making process because ODOT likes to pull random numbers out of their but too and tried to force us to accept the elevated boulevard option. Waiting on a small street? The grid is there and operational. If anything core to shore development is waiting on the central park to be built, but really its going to take time for this area to develop.

And the boulevard is under construction right now from Penn to Western. It will be mostly an elevated berm that will limit the full potential of core to shore directly north or south of it. If they build the elevated bridge from western to walker the damage will be even worse. So its not hurting my feelings that the central section is taking more time. Eventually the grid streets need to be rebuilt or repaved, but were not at the point where their hurting development of core to shore.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Actually, were at this point in decision making process because ODOT likes to pull random numbers out of their but too and tried to force us to accept the elevated boulevard option. Waiting on a small street? The grid is there and operational. If anything core to shore development is waiting on the central park to be built, but really its going to take time for this area to develop.

And the boulevard is under construction right now from Penn to Western. It will be mostly an elevated berm that will limit the full potential of core to shore directly north or south of it. If they build the elevated bridge from western to walker the damage will be even worse. So its not hurting my feelings that the central section is taking more time. Eventually the grid streets need to be rebuilt or repaved, but were not at the point where their hurting development of core to shore.
    First, Thank you to the Friends for a Better Blvd. YOU, GET IT! This is a MUST for OKC. This access point ( Blvd ) is the first taste of what the "vision" of any / all future development South of Reno will reflect. This BLVD MUST have the feel of ( Amazing in Environment ). All developers will < digest > the level of detail / design / vision of what our CORE TO SHORE will become through this Blvd. It is access, it is style, it is vision. This is NOT the time to go "cheap". This the time to SHOW OUR BEST. Project 180 hits the nail on the Head, and the BLVD should be / must be even higher in excellence.

NOW, these developers can not make this acccessment until this "street" is in. This is the LINK ( KEY ) to their decisions. This is the "first domino" in this area of development and that is what will help move the "outside" investment / development community into decision mode. ( this is the build it and they will come senario ).

This decision is (Way above ODOT)...and the entire STATE is looking for our BEST.

Cracks me up.

It's doubtful that developments are ready to happen and be announced the second the boulevard design is in place. There might be developments being planned, but I doubt there is a tidal wave of developments anxiously awaiting the opening. The boulevard will open, and announcements will slowly come in of new developments along it. Not this tsunami wave you are envisioning.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    It's doubtful that developments are ready to happen and be announced the second the boulevard design is in place. There might be developments being planned, but I doubt there is a tidal wave of developments anxiously awaiting the opening. The boulevard will open, and announcements will slowly come in of new developments along it. Not this tsunami wave you are envisioning.
    ...and some people, never see it. ( catche22 - You made my point for me.)

I think it is time we stop feeding the (uninformed? naive? delusional?) poster.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    I think it is time we stop feeding the (uninformed? naive? delusional?) poster.
    ...like I said, "Vision is not always, automatic."

Even when people that are "close" to the subject can't see what is in front of them ( this would be the narrow-minded CANT DO ITs), then how can we expect others that are further away ( this would be the Outside Investment & Development Groups , ie. Dallas High Rise Condos Group ) ever be interested in OKC?

...this is why we need to have it ready , BLVD... ASAP, and help our local economy w/ additional outside investments opportunities.

...like I said, "Vision is not always, automatic."

Even when people that are "close" to the subject can't see what is in front of them ( this would be the narrow-minded CANT DO ITs), then how can we expect others that are further away ( this would be the Outside Investment & Development Groups , ie. Dallas High Rise Condos Group ) ever be interested in OKC?

...this is why we need to have it ready , BLVD... ASAP, and help our local economy w/ additional outside investments opportunities.
    Dude, we can all dream up our perfect vision of the city, but unless you got some money to pony up, or some sway with these high-roller investors/developers to make that dream happen, then your exercise is exactly pointless.

The efforts of this forum are best spent trying to find ways to maximize the limited resources that we actually have to sway current or upcoming projects to be the best that they can.

There's a phrase that you would do well to heed: "Rome wasn't built in a day"

"This is why we need to have it ready , BLVD... ASAP, and help our local economy w/ additional outside investments opportunities."

If we rushed through this whole process and got it done as soon as humanly possible, we would have an elevated six lane Boulevard over Classen/Western with no sidewalks, bike lanes or street side parking with a speed limit of 45 mph or higher. It would also split the north and south part and not allow them to develop properly.

With time and groups like Friends for a Better Boulevard and hiring consultants, we have a chance to have a roundabout, return the street to the grid or have something else more pedestrian/bike friendly. Faster is not always better.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Dude, we can all dream up our perfect vision of the city, but unless you got some money to pony up, or some sway with these high-roller investors/developers to make that dream happen, then your exercise is exactly pointless.

The efforts of this forum are best spent trying to find ways to maximize the limited resources that we actually have to sway current or upcoming projects to be the best that they can.

There's a phrase that you would do well to heed: "Rome wasn't built in a day"
    Rome ??? Ok, what happened to Rome? I will tell you the "rest" of the story. Since they couldn't build Rome in a day, the outside investment community went down the road and spent their money in Monaco. That's what happens when we keep using that excuse.

You have to look at the BIG picture and see what we can be, not just "status quo".

Rome ??? Ok, what happened to Rome? I will tell you the "rest" of the story. Since they couldn't build Rome in a day, the outside investment community went down the road and spent their money in Monaco. That's what happens when we keep using that excuse.

You have to look at the BIG picture and see what we can be, not just "status quo".
    I'm going to violate my own post above, but you do realize you are arguing with yourself? No one is saying they don't want the Boulevard done. No one is saying we want to do nothing. You are the only one here saying that, and then you are arguing with us because you said it.

You did bring up an important point though... we've been overselling Rome for far too long. After all, they've only kept things as the status quo for far too long (they even spoke the language that gave us the phrase "status quo"!) The Monaco Empire, though... those thousands of years of greatness, splendor, building, science, architecture; that's what we should be emulating!

I'm going to violate my own post above, but you do realize you are arguing with yourself? No one is saying they don't want the Boulevard done. No one is saying we want to do nothing. You are the only one here saying that, and then you are arguing with us because you said it.

You did bring up an important point though... we've been overselling Rome for far too long. After all, they've only kept things as the status quo for far too long (they even spoke the language that gave us the phrase "status quo"!) The Monaco Empire, though... those thousands of years of greatness, splendor, building, science, architecture; that's what we should be emulating!
    ...Rome is know for it's Ruins. ( don't fly-off the handle, i'm just making a point.) In Rome, Complacency "over-took" a sense of urgency at some point in time. Rome is know for it's "history", ....let's help OKC keep moving forward for tomorrow.

...Rome is know for it's Ruins. ( don't fly-off the handle, i'm just making a point.) In Rome, Complacency "over-took" a sense of urgency at some point in time. Rome is know for it's "history", ....let's help OKC keep moving forward for tomorrow.
    Dude what the hell is wrong with you???? Do realize how long some of the monuments in Rome have lasted??? We buildings and houses in Detroit that are in extreme disrepair and some have collapsed, which aren't even one hundred years old. You want to talk about Rome, the Colosseum is something like 2,000 years old and took ten years to build, and it is still standing and even safe for people to walk under. Our state capitol here in Oklahoma is falling apart, and it isn't even 500 years old, there are actually parts of it that are closed due to falling limestone.

Stop talking out of your ass and get over it man, this is a project that needs to take time so we don't have another highway built in this area. Anyone can say lets build a six lane 55mph road, that's easy. It takes time to plan out and build a 4 lane divided blvd. with bike lanes, wide sidewalks, ped friendly features, and educate people on why this should have a low speed limit.

Also keep in mind how long Rome was neglected and left to rot.

Rome is know for it's "history", ....let's help OKC keep moving forward for tomorrow.
    Isn't that what we did in the '70s, and have been trying to recover from ever since?

Well that's not exactly true. A lot of us don't want to see a Boulevard that is one continuous road from I-235 to I-40 and Penn. However, the extra money saved from not building the western to walker segment can be used to make the grid streets better.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Well that's not exactly true. A lot of us don't want to see a Boulevard that is one continuous road from I-235 to I-40 and Penn. However, the extra money saved from not building the western to walker segment can be used to make the grid streets better.
    I should have said "done the right way."

I really want to know how much money the city could make if they sold all the land that is currently in the ROW?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Isn't that what we did in the '70s, and have been trying to recover from ever since?
    ....Guys, I definately do not want the "strip & wait" of the 70' - 92' program. I am 100% for the beautiful BLVD you have decribed ( Project 180 is a GREAT success!! ).

, but I do know this... The key factor for success in the MAPS 1 program was the "seamless implimentation of the projects". We need to be very cautious of "pushing things back to much". The more we push back in the front of this Program, the longer it takes for the other benefits of "economic development" to show up. That is my primary point.

....Guys, I definately do not want the "strip & wait" of the 70' - 92' program. I am 100% for the beautiful BLVD you have decribed ( Project 180 is a GREAT success!! ).

, but I do know this... The key factor for success in the MAPS 1 program was the "seamless implimentation of the projects". We need to be very cautious of "pushing things back to much". The more we push back in the front of this Program, the longer it takes for the other benefits of "economic development" to show up. That is my primary point.
    Wow

Honest question here: How old are you OKVision?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Honest question here: How old are you OKVision?
    Teo... Is that all you have? ....No other position, statement, ideas ? ... just that? Really? Dig deep and try to find an original opinion regarding the BLVD. ...come on, ..(crickets ).

Teo... Is that all you have? ....No other position, statement, ideas ? ... just that? Really? Dig deep and try to find an original opinion regarding the BLVD. ...come on, ..(crickets ).
    Can't even answer a simple question. How about this, I'm 35. See how easy that was (crickets--with regard to age)...

You can find my original opinions back on like Page 23.

What exactly are your opinions other then we have to build "something great" as fast as possible?

Thread Information