Widgets Magazine
Page 65 of 116 FirstFirst ... 156061626364656667686970115 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 2876

Thread: Friends for a Better Boulevard

Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    While funny, that is one of the safest traffic circles in the UK. It is called the Swindon Magic Roundabout. It can move a lot of cars at slow speeds but not pedestrian friendly. If ODOT tried to build that they would add fly-overs.
    ...and a Starbucks drive thru...

Downtown OKC boulevard completion won't be until 2016 | NewsOK.com

Anyone who cared enough to protest the original design will be "blamed" for the delay. The statements from ODOT in this article were pretty reasonable I must admit.

I hope they never build it, so a 2 year delay is a good start for me.

Funny, I don't see any work on the east end and there hasn't been any delays or meetings about that end.

I hope they never build it, so a 2 year delay is a good start for me.
    I don't want them to build "IT". I do want them to reconnect the street network to I40 east of Bricktown and west of the Farmer's Market though. I cannot fathom the reason behind the resistance to this simplest of designs that takes advantage of one of OKC's best features.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I don't want them to build "IT". I do want them to reconnect the street network to I40 east of Bricktown and west of the Farmer's Market though. I cannot fathom the reason behind the resistance to this simplest of designs that takes advantage of one of OKC's best features.
    $$$$
    Saving it is not a priority. If $XXX gets allocated, then, by-God, we need to spend $XXX or more, not $XX or less. Contractors, engineers, laborers, etc., all make more $$$ with the bigger, more expensive project.

Or I could be wrong!

Some new comments by Steve in his blog.

Boulevard Options | OKC Central

And Zeke Campfield's article about Tuesday's City Council meeting where this will be discussed.

Oklahoma City Council set to make decision on boulevard design | NewsOK.com

Its been almost a month, have they decided which design to go with?

So this gives us more time to organize such an event like getting with the city somehow and blocking off all the streets that would have to be closed if this new boulevard were to be constructed, right? If the FBB could organize this, even for just 24hours...I would be more than willing to come participate, for the entire 24hours. Would the city let that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    So this gives us more time to organize such an event like getting with the city somehow and blocking off all the streets that would have to be closed if this new boulevard were to be constructed, right? If the FBB could organize this, even for just 24hours...I would be more than willing to come participate, for the entire 24hours. Would the city let that happen?
    I don't think that's going to happen... I don't think anyone was too serious about that. Was more hyperbole.

Tomorrow (well later this morning) the city will vote to approve Option A as the city's preferred alternative. From there, ODOT will approve Option A as the state's preferred alternative. ODOT will then send the proposal to the Federal Highway Administration, who is funding the project, for final approval. As far as the local governments are concerned, Option A is set in stone if the Council approves it later this morning (which they are going to do). Ultimately, the Federal Highway Administration has final authority to approve or reject the proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I don't think that's going to happen... I don't think anyone was too serious about that. Was more hyperbole.

Tomorrow (well later this morning) the city will vote to approve Option A as the city's preferred alternative. From there, ODOT will approve Option A as the state's preferred alternative. ODOT will then send the proposal to the Federal Highway Administration, who is funding the project, for final approval. As far as the local governments are concerned, Option A is set in stone if the Council approves it later this morning (which they are going to do). Ultimately, the Federal Highway Administration has final authority to approve or reject the proposal.
    Well maybe not close them off, more going out there and alerting people which roads might be closed.

Why does no one seem to care about how crappy the boulevard is turning out? I'm surprised by the lack of outrage or activism right now. What am I missing?

13. Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

I'm watching the live stream right now and am just too disappointed in this whole thing to even put it into words. The lack of forward-thinking when it comes to urban planning blows my mind.

I-40 was an elevated psychological barrier (the grid still existed under it) that devastated this part of downtown for 50 years. The boulevard is an actual physical barrier on the ground and the grid will be broken. The boulevard actually makes things worse.

I-40 was an elevated psychological barrier (the grid still existed under it) that devastated this part of downtown for 50 years. The boulevard is an actual physical barrier on the ground and the grid will be broken. The boulevard actually makes things worse.
    this is not close to the truth

16. Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

Well according to Gary Marrs, the only reason the blvd should exist is to provide egress from I40 for interstate traffic. Yes, by all means let's encourage bringing all the 18-wheelers down off the interstate into downtown.

17. Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Care to explain?

18. Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

It's just unfortunate after listening to that entire discussion live realizing that many of our city leaders have no interest in furthering urban development downtown. They are still trapped in suburban thinking even when there is obviously a push away from it occurring downtown. The whole boulevard debate has brought that to the forefront.

s00nr1: and the disconnect from what Council has expressed publicly they are trying to do with the various MAPS, project 180, Core to Shore etc....getting folks to not only work & play downtown, but live downtown as well..so there isn't near the need to get those folks out of downtown like there used to be.

I was talking with some old-timers recently, discussing how Patience Latting shook up the cronyism and old boy system that prevailed downtown before her arrival. They all agreed that it has returned, and needs to be changed.

The election filing period will open later this month for Wards 1 (Marrs), 3 (McAtee), 4 (White) and 7 (Kelly).

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Yes, by all means let's encourage bringing all the 18-wheelers down off the interstate into downtown.
    Yeahhhhh, cause 18-wheeler through traffic from west coast to east coast & vice versa loves to take the business routes through all small towns. There are no truck stops in downtown OKC so why assume that to be true?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    What part did I get wrong?

1) I-40 was an elevated psychological barrier
    2) (the grid still existed under it)
    3) that devastated this part of downtown
    4) for 50 years.
    5) The boulevard is an actual physical barrier
    6) on the ground
    7) and the grid will be broken.
    8) The boulevard actually makes things worse.

23. Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Yeahhhhh, cause 18-wheeler through traffic from west coast to east coast & vice versa loves to take the business routes through all small towns. There are no truck stops in downtown OKC so why assume that to be true?
    I was simply repeating what Councilman Marrs said....that the main purpose for the boulevard should be for traffic egress should I40 be "shut down." (Which of course I happen to completely disagree with)

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Well according to Gary Marrs, the only reason the blvd should exist is to provide egress from I40 for interstate traffic. Yes, by all means let's encourage bringing all the 18-wheelers down off the interstate into downtown.
    Then (and I'm not arguing with you, s00nr1, I'm arguing with Gary Marrs), why doe the two new entrances have to connect. I don't think ANYBODY is opposed to the two new entrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Then (and I'm not arguing with you, s00nr1, I'm arguing with Gary Marrs), why doe the two new entrances have to connect. I don't think ANYBODY is opposed to the two new entrances.
    With the 'two boulevards on the grid' option the two entrances would be connected by 7 different roads, just in case the alternate route needs an alternate route. If his excuse was a real concern his choice is the worst solution.

Thread Information