Widgets Magazine

Thread: Shartel Underground Cafe

1. Far North Shartel Underground Cafe

Just picked up some food from there. The menu is largely the same as the Shartel Cafe (if not identical). My food is actually really quite good, but I don't think this place is going to make it. Although the kitchen staff is apparently on top of their game, the service staff up front was terrible. They were standing around, complaining about some issue pertinent to being employed there loudly enough for everyone to hear, one of them was cussing, and when my food came up, it sat in the window for a minute or two because the whining girl couldn't be bothered to turn around... I was the only person waiting on food to-go, and no one was ordering. ONe of the other employees was just standing there eating with my food 1.5 feet in front of her face, and nothing.

There was one other person in there when I went in...they gotta get it together if they want to survive an increasingly competitive downtown lunch scene.

Default Re: Shartel Underground Cafe (Downtown)

Where is the downtown version ?

Isn't the one on Shartel just north of 50th closed? I'll have to check out the downtown one, as I love their oatmeal. I wish they were someplace besides the Underground, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Where is the downtown version ?

In The Underground by the Leadership Square entrance. Rigoletto's used to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Isn't the one on Shartel just north of 50th closed? I'll have to check out the downtown one, as I love their oatmeal. I wish they were someplace besides the Underground, though.
    The one on Shartel is not closed. I usually stop in there once a week or so for lunch.

I love the original location, and was excited when they opened a new location downtown. I've only been once, and the service was so slow, I probably won't go back. I waited 30 minutes to get half a sandwich and a cup of soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    I love the original location, and was excited when they opened a new location downtown. I've only been once, and the service was so slow, I probably won't go back. I waited 30 minutes to get half a sandwich and a cup of soup.
    Was the wait at the original location or downtown? I have never had a long wait at the Shartel location except when I order the chicken strips, which I know aren't breaded or fried until they are ordered.

I wish they'd put this above ground downtown and be open on the weekends. I love the Shartel Cafe breakfasts, but I usually think about stopping there until the weekend. If you don't work downtown, the Underground is not a place that comes to mind to eat on a weekday. It wouldn't be hard to give IHOP a run for their money, and downtown badly needs a great weekday/weekend breakfast and lunch restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCyrus View Post
    Was the wait at the original location or downtown? I have never had a long wait at the Shartel location except when I order the chicken strips, which I know aren't breaded or fried until they are ordered.
    The wait was at the Underground location. I love the Shartel location, which is why I was really excited to get a new lunch option downtown.

Thread Information