Far North U.S. Post Office and Courthouse

Address: 200 NW 4th
    Built: 1912
    Floors: 9
    Sq. Feet: 148,224
    Acreage: 2.52
    Architect: John Knox Taylor

Information & Latest News

The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse was the first monumental structure in Oklahoma City and served as an anchor for future federal development. Plans for the construction of the building began in 1903 when Congress appropriated funds for a downtown facility. Due to the region's rapid growth, original funding was insufficient and additional money was allotted in 1906, 1908, and 1910. The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse was the first federal building constructed in Oklahoma, which became a state only five years prior to the building's 1912 completion.

Two important cases were decided in this building. James "Machine Gun" Kelly, a notorious outlaw of the Prohibition era, was found guilty of kidnapping Oklahoma City oilman and millionaire Charles Urschel. Kelly was sentenced in 1933 to life in prison and sent to Alcatraz in San Francisco Bay. Kelly's trial was the first in the nation to allow sound and picture equipment in a federal courtroom. In 1949, the case of McLaurin v. Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education was heard. The court's decision desegregated graduate schools in Oklahoma.

The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse is part of a Federal complex that included a separate courthouse constructed in 1959 and the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. In April 1995, a terrorist bomb destroyed the Murrah building causing tragic injuries and fatalities. Portions of the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, most notably the tower, were damaged by concussions from the blast. Repairs were made to windows, ceiling tiles, and lights. Today, the site of the bombing is the Oklahoma City National Memorial. A new federal building is located several blocks north of the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse.

The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. In 1992, the U.S. General Services Administration completed a restoration of significant interior spaces. The restoration was recognized with awards from the Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office and the Oklahoma Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Although the post office relocated in 1966, the building continues to function in its historic capacity as a federal courthouse and office building.
    Links

County Assessor
    History and Background
    Doug Loudenback Article
    Tenants

Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	postoffice2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	10591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	postoffice1.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	10592  

Default Federal Court House

Just when you think you know everything about downtown OKC, you learn something new. I ventured over to the Federal Court House (old Post Office) to see if I could get a peek inside. Turns out it is all open to the public. You do have to go through an airport-style screening (belt and shoes off) but it is worth it.

FNC has nothing on this place, mostly because everything has been restored. The brass elevator doors alone are worth the trip, but the real payoff is on the 9th floor, where the court room inwhich Machine Gun Kelly and his wife were tried and convicted of kidnapping an Oklahoma City oilman. It has been restored to its original condition and is in use to this day. There was no trial taking place today so I was able to go in and look around.

Unfortunately, no pictures are allowed in the building and you wil have to lockup your phone so if you want to see it, you have to go for youself.

Default Re: Federal Court House

It's been awhile but yep, it's a doozy.

4. Default Re: Federal Court House

Served on a jury there about 13-14 years ago (wire fraud). It is indeed incredible space.

Default Re: U.S. Post Office and Courthouse

That is one of my favorite buildings in town for sure. I usually park on the south side of it when I go to Thunder games (when I don't walk from my office). I had no idea it was open to the public. How did you know to go to the 9th floor. Did you go to any other floors?

When you go through the front door you have to go through the security check point. I told the security guys I just wanted to look around and they gave me some tips on what to look for, including the 9th floor.

I asked if there was any place I shouldn't go and they said nope, if it is unlocked you can go in. It is an active court house with trials taking place so keep that in mind.

I took the elevator to the 9th floor and then took the stairs down, checking out each floor on the way. I was short on time so didn't get to floors 2, 3, 4, or 5.

They really should offer a guided tour, even if it was just 2X a week.

7. Default Re: U.S. Post Office and Courthouse

sounds super cool and thanks so much for the report out. I often wondered what went on with that building and dreamed that it became OKC's main post office again.

Nice to hear there IS a use going on and it indeed is a jewel of a building. I'll have to tour it on my next visit to the city!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

66 million facelift proposed from the presidential budget:

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – The White House announced Tuesday the President’s Budget for Fiscal Year 2024 includes funding for improvements to the federal courthouse in Oklahoma City.

According to the U.S. General Services Administration, the William J. Holloway Jr. U.S. Courthouse would received $65,926,000 to fund repairs and alterations.

Alterations include interior construction, upgrades to the building envelope, plumbing, site work and replacement of windows, HVAC and mechanical systems, and fire and life safety systems.
    - https://kfor.com/news/local/presiden...e-renovations/

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    66 million facelift proposed from the presidential budget:

- https://kfor.com/news/local/presiden...e-renovations/
    This is additional to the "$3 million for repairs and alterations to the William J. Holloway Jr. U.S. Courthouse and U.S. Post Office in Oklahoma City." secured by former Senator Inhofe in December of 2022 (https://www.muskogeepolitico.com/202...s-omnibus.html).

Thread Information