Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The dreaded "heat dome"?

Default Re: The dreaded "heat dome"?

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    As hot as it was in Texas or Oklahoma last summer it wasn’t anywhere near as bad for human living as it was during the dust bowl.
    Hardly anyone but the extremely rich had air-conditioning back then and the dust was very oppressive over a huge geographical area.
    We are all soft and weak (including me) compared to the people who stuck out the dust bowl in this part of the country.
    I don't think we're soft and weak. People basically adjust their lives to whatever their current situation is. If we were faced with the same situation we could do just as well. It doesn't mean we would like it any more than those who lived through it in the 30's. I remember many nights when I was a child in the 50's where I was either sweating or freezing when I was in my bedroom in our farmhouse sleeping at night. I survived just fine even if I didn't enjoy it.

As hot as it was in Texas or Oklahoma last summer it wasn’t anywhere near as bad for human living as it was during the dust bowl.
    Hardly anyone but the extremely rich had air-conditioning back then and the dust was very oppressive over a huge geographical area.
    We are all soft and weak (including me) compared to the people who stuck out the dust bowl in this part of the country.
    How anyone lasted the dust bowl besides moving away is beyond me but I just hope there isn't another one in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I don't think we're soft and weak. People basically adjust their lives to whatever their current situation is. If we were faced with the same situation we could do just as well. It doesn't mean we would like it any more than those who lived through it in the 30's. I remember many nights when I was a child in the 50's where I was either sweating or freezing when I was in my bedroom in our farmhouse sleeping at night. I survived just fine even if I didn't enjoy it.
    My Great-Grandparents have some interesting stories of when they were growing up in the 30's and 40's in the Mississippi Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    How anyone lasted the dust bowl besides moving away is beyond me but I just hope there isn't another one in the future.

The dustbowl situation was much more prevelant in NW Oklahoma and the panhandle than in the OKC area. It was more just heat here. While there are no guarantees about what might happen in the future, it was caused in large part by the farming practices utilized in that era.

Exactly right. On occasion Denver can be paralyzed for days by a bad blizzard.
    So can OKC. Yet in Denver you don't have months in the summer with temps. in the 90's and 100's with high humidity making it feel 100+ every single day. The summers in Oklahoma (and Texas) are brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Many of us would eventually adjust, but it would be tough on those who stayed.
    Even so many would still move.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    So can OKC. Yet in Denver you don't have months in the summer with temps. in the 90's and 100's with high humidity making it feel 100+ every single day. The summers in Oklahoma (and Texas) are brutal.
    Except for about 2 to 3 months of OKC hot weather our weather is normally nicer than Denver’s.
    The worst of Denver area blizzard are much worse than anything OKC has ever had and by a lot.
    They’re really bad blizzards are far more life threating.
    On balance I will take OKC weather.

Except for about 2 to 3 months of OKC hot weather our weather is normally nicer than Denver’s.
    The worst of Denver area blizzard are much worse than anything OKC has ever had and by a lot.
    They’re really bad blizzards are far more life threating.
    On balance I will take OKC weather.
    You've continued to show your ignorance, i would suggest looking at historical and current weather recordings. But with that said, Everyone has their own preference for weather and no one has to like what you like and vice versa.

Some of us have flexibility on where we can work with our jobs, and if I have a choice between 100 days with 100+ temps or occasional snow then its a easy choice for us.

With that said after being raised in oklahoma for my entire childhood i can remember when my parents wouldnt turn on our a/c until mid june and a few times until july. It just seems crazy that this year we already had our a/c on in early april.

I grew up with parents who did stay and I have known many others who stayed in western parts of Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Most of the men were veterans of WWII combat. They were accustomed to frequent hard ship and deprivation of things we mostly take for granted today. I have personally lived in several locations that were in the heart of the dust Bowl. Even in a wet year it can still be dusty, it’s just not near as bad as the 30’s.

Mother Nature is such that there will be another dust bowl on the high plains.
    Over the centuries there have been many.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    You've continued to show your ignorance, i would suggest looking at historical and current weather recordings. But with that said, Everyone has their own preference for weather and no one has to like what you like and vice versa.

I would suggest you look at historical weather recordings to reduce your own ignorance and you will see that except for the heat of the summer that it is more comfortable to spend time outdoors in OKC than Denver. Chinook winds are no fun. Denver’s extreme dry air can also be unhealthy.

Some of us have flexibility on where we can work with our jobs, and if I have a choice between 100 days with 100+ temps or occasional snow then its a easy choice for us.

With that said after being raised in oklahoma for my entire childhood i can remember when my parents wouldnt turn on our a/c until mid june and a few times until july. It just seems crazy that this year we already had our a/c on in early april.
    There is a lot more to Denver’s weather than just a few bouts of snow.
    Turning the AC on in early April is more about how homes are built today and individual life style choices.

We have had hot weather before in April… Just look at the records.

Well I agree with you then in that sense.
    Good to see

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    And the much colder winters you find easier to tolerate than the heat in Texas?
    They say that to try to keep Texans from moving here.....

I moved up here at the end of October, we had some snow storms come through at the end of the year and by New Year we had more snow in Denver than the mountains had to that point. In all those storms it never once kept me from getting to work in LoDo and I have a BMW Z4 convertible, not a 4x4 or AWD vehicle with ground clearance. Most of the time it was warm enough to have the top down a few days after a snowfall, most days I could've ridden my motorcycle except for the sand put down. Most of the time I had no more coat on than a fleece jacket. Yesterday I rode out to the motorcycle races east of Denver and had my mesh jacket on, a front blew through last night and it is around 50 right now. My friend moved up here 21 years ago from OKC, he said he lost a few more "riding days" in OKC because of weather/temps than he has living in Denver all those years. There is rarely ice to snarl things, mostly snow and the wind is not as constant as it is in OKC. One thing my wife noticed up here during the winter is that even though the thermometer reads pretty cold (in the teens) it didn't feel as cold as temps in the low 30's in Austin and she is much, much more cold natured than I am and she grew up in West Texas and went to college in Lubbock.

I concur. It's easier for me personally to warm up than it is for me to cool down.
    The same as me, I am very hot natured, maybe due to thyroid issues because my mother is the same way and she has the same condition. I am comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt with temps into the 50's, I used to tolerate the heat better when I was younger and worked outside but a job working outside ended for me in 1985. It just became miserable to do anything (yard work, home/car repairs, riding) much past noon, when working on the car I used to have to put the canopy up over the car just to keep things from getting too hot to touch. I hated the late softball games during the summer in OKC or Austin, it would take me forever to cool down while trying to go to sleep. Last summer I was walking around three miles a night until the temps just got ridiculous (in July), I would go out about 8:30 when the sun was starting to go behind the school building at the track. I became better at tolerating temps up to about 95 but when it was at the point of still being 100-105 at 9:30 at night, I had enough. The few days of real cold temps are nothing compared to the day/night of extreme temps for months on end that I experienced in Austin for 7 of my 8 summers there. Our electric/gas bill is about 1/4 of what we paid in Austin and our allergies are not near as bad as they were in Austin in which the allergy season never seemed to end there.

Overall, Denver is a much better climate for us than Central Texas.

The weather is a big reason I'm in Denver now too. That combined with proximity to mountains/outdoor activities and an urban big city feel. I'll take the occasional snow storm and drier weather over 4 solid months of high heat and humidity.

15. Default Re: The dreaded "heat dome"?

"There is no weather either good nor bad, but thinking makes it so."--variation on a theme by Shakespeare

It's not a weakness to consider weather when thinking about where to settle. I find heat terribly oppressive, especially when it persists throughout the night and the only relief is found through artificial means. Weather is one of the main things I miss the most about the PacNW, along with the mountains, coast, forests, culture, and city life in Portland. We'd occasionally get a 100+ day, but in most cases it was followed up by a 40 degree temperature drop. Rarely are the evenings hot and nasty up there.

During Summer here in OKC, I live within buildings and the bulk of my outdoor experience is the time it takes to go between the car and whatever building I need to be in (work, home, store). And you may not have to shovel heat, but you damn near need a machete to cut through the humid air. The ability to comfortably enjoy your city of residence year round is a great thing to consider when pondering relocation. I'm kinda bound here now, having bought a house and having a kid on the way, but if I were still in single-and-renting mode, it wouldn't be long before I made the trek back to the Northwest. Now it's more of a long term goal for us.

17. Default Re: The dreaded "heat dome"?

I'm a bit torn on the issue. I grew up back in the Great Lakes and did like seeing various seasons. Shoveling snow just goes with the territory and for areas that are prepared for it, really doesn't mean anything. Up there a 6+ inch snow fall are usually cleared off the highways in a couple of hours. Down here it shuts things down for awhile. It is all perspective and the experience that area has with dealing with certain types of weather. I personally enjoy cooler weather better than the insane heat of last year. Does that make me weak? Eh, that is more so a pompous bullying statement used to attempt to thrust ones superiority over another - so whatever to it. I'll wave it off as a momentary lapse of common sense and a flashback to a high school mentality. LOL

As far as the forecast outlook are we heading there already? Not yet. So that is a good thing. I just wish I had better news on rain chances however as they don't look amazing for the next 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Does that make me weak? Eh, that is more so a pompous bullying statement used to attempt to thrust ones superiority over another - so whatever to it. I'll wave it off as a momentary lapse of common sense and a flashback to a high school mentality. LOL
    I'm tuff'r than you are because 90 days of 100+ temps dont' bothurr me!!!

If you look at ou48A post history its pretty easy to tell that he is the resident idiot.

Back on topic, Its amazing how refreshing yesterday and today have felt. Moderate winds, temps in the 60-70's, and for me atleast it gives me a huge burst of energy and i get so much more accomplished afterwork.

If you look at ou48A post history its pretty easy to tell that he is the resident idiot.

Back on topic, Its amazing how refreshing yesterday and today have felt. Moderate winds, temps in the 60-70's, and for me atleast it gives me a huge burst of energy and i get so much more accomplished afterwork.
    Now that’s not very nice!

20. Default Re: The dreaded "heat dome"?

At some point you just learn to roll your eyes are certain posters like they are your crazy great Uncle/Aunt or something. He is pretty passionate about his core ideology, but aren't we all at times? He's definitely not the worst on this board, he at least contributes thoughts more than the copy/paste spam that others do. Some people you just have to take in moderation. LOL

As far as the cooler temps...I do enjoys these and I'm right there with you. The nice breeze, cool temps, really helps get things going.

21. Default Re: The dreaded "heat dome"?

Maybe we can have a nice summer filled with tropical systems (not bad hurricanes, just you know, "waves") that come up through Texas and hang out for a little while to keep it cloudy and cool. I fondly remember a summer after 7th grade in So. Ok. when a bunch of weak tropical storms made their way up and stayed, keeping June and early July temps in the 70s and low 80s with clouds and occasional rain. It was lovely.
    Still corrupting young minds

I think part of this discussion centers around the generational differences in how we perceive temperatures.

When I was growing up in the mid-70's, 100-degree summers in Oklahoma were no big deal; they were the norm, you just endured it, and you didn't realize you were enduring anything. It just was. Just like my mom before me grew up with no A/C whatsoever, kept the doors open, and were hot in the summer, but didn't know they were "hot." These days, however, watch the evening news, and they generate the impression that people are dropping like flies from heat stroke if the temp hits 85, and I personally think that's silly. We've become so inundated with "heat index values" and the notion that even modest "heat" is unpleasant, sure enough, modest heat becomes unpleasant.

The year I moved back here from Portland (2007), the rain followed me. I believe that was the wettest year on record. It rained nearly every day in July and it kept temperatures down. August was nasty, but all in all it was a much more tolerable summer.

I don't see how last summer could repeat with La Nina ending.

Thread Information