Widgets Magazine

Thread: The dreaded "heat dome"?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: The dreaded "heat dome"?

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    Exactly right. On occasion Denver can be paralyzed for days by a bad blizzard.
    The weather anywhere on the Great Plains is going to vary a great deal from week to week and from year to year.
    It’s not like we had another dust bowl.
    If we're talking about Denver then I retract everything I said, I thought we were talking about Oklahoma City's weather, not Denver's. Besides, I don't recall anyone ever comparing last year to the dust bowl until you mentioned it. But now that's it's mentioned, why would anyone suggest it was like the dust bowl unless they're using it as a comparison (you)?

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    If we're talking about Denver then I retract everything I said, I thought we were talking about Oklahoma City's weather, not Denver's. Besides, I don't recall anyone ever comparing last year to the dust bowl until you mentioned it. But now that's it's mentioned, why would anyone suggest it was like the dust bowl unless they're using it as a comparison (you)?
    As hot as it was in Texas or Oklahoma last summer it wasn’t anywhere near as bad for human living as it was during the dust bowl.
    Hardly anyone but the extremely rich had air-conditioning back then and the dust was very oppressive over a huge geographical area.
    We are all soft and weak (including me) compared to the people who stuck out the dust bowl in this part of the country.

As hot as it was in Texas or Oklahoma last summer it wasn’t anywhere near as bad for human living as it was during the dust bowl.
    Hardly anyone but the extremely rich had air-conditioning back then and the dust was very oppressive over a huge geographical area.
    We are all soft and weak (including me) compared to the people who stuck out the dust bowl in this part of the country.
    I don't think we're soft and weak. People basically adjust their lives to whatever their current situation is. If we were faced with the same situation we could do just as well. It doesn't mean we would like it any more than those who lived through it in the 30's. I remember many nights when I was a child in the 50's where I was either sweating or freezing when I was in my bedroom in our farmhouse sleeping at night. I survived just fine even if I didn't enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I don't think we're soft and weak. People basically adjust their lives to whatever their current situation is. If we were faced with the same situation we could do just as well. It doesn't mean we would like it any more than those who lived through it in the 30's. I remember many nights when I was a child in the 50's where I was either sweating or freezing when I was in my bedroom in our farmhouse sleeping at night. I survived just fine even if I didn't enjoy it.
    My Great-Grandparents have some interesting stories of when they were growing up in the 30's and 40's in the Mississippi Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Many of us would eventually adjust, but it would be tough on those who stayed.
    Even so many would still move.

How anyone lasted the dust bowl besides moving away is beyond me but I just hope there isn't another one in the future.

How anyone lasted the dust bowl besides moving away is beyond me but I just hope there isn't another one in the future.

The dustbowl situation was much more prevelant in NW Oklahoma and the panhandle than in the OKC area. It was more just heat here. While there are no guarantees about what might happen in the future, it was caused in large part by the farming practices utilized in that era.

I grew up with parents who did stay and I have known many others who stayed in western parts of Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Most of the men were veterans of WWII combat. They were accustomed to frequent hard ship and deprivation of things we mostly take for granted today. I have personally lived in several locations that were in the heart of the dust Bowl. Even in a wet year it can still be dusty, it’s just not near as bad as the 30’s.

Mother Nature is such that there will be another dust bowl on the high plains.
    Over the centuries there have been many.

Thread Information