Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Bob's in Ada is either no longer there, or what is there isn't the Bob's that was so very good even as late as 07 and 08.

The folks at Sooner Legends and Suites (sw24th and Lindsey) in Norman do Q the way Bob's used to do Q. I've found none better this side of Hwy 69, and I grew up not being a fan of restaurant Q, preferring ol' shack Q made by questionable characters in places that gave you pause .. where you tended to count the dawgs outside and hoping the number was the same as the last time you were there.

We stopped by Leo's today on the way out of town, it was the best that we have had there in a long time.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    We stopped by Leo's today on the way out of town, it was the
    best that we have had there in a long time.
    Really? Was it the place on N.E. 36th and N. Kelly? I'm glad to
    hear that. The last time I ate there is wasn't very good. In
    fact, I decided to not return. Maybe I can change my mind.
    Did you have the strawberry cake? It was the only thing I liked
    on the last trip. It was as if Leo made it.

I believe they were cooking the meat too long. There's a time
    to take it out of the cooker. Some believe more is better. Leo
    didn't. He knew that ust right was just right.

Yep, the 36th & Kelly location and cake came with the dinner. We talked to Charles some, he was in the store today.
    It was a huge portion of brisket, with no "bad" chunks and my wife thought the ribs were some of the best that she has had. It was really exceptional today, much better than some recent trips and I picked up a couple of bottles of sauce, now I just need to fire up my new smoker.

I snapped a pic to torment some friends on Facebook who grew up on the stuff and don't live in OKC anymore.

you gots yerself a bit of a mean streak there.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    you gots yerself a bit of a mean streak there.
    I brought some sauce back for the ones here in Denver...now I just need to finish getting the smoker assembled and fire it up.

7. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Had our first bad experience at Iron Star last night. Started when I called at 3pm to make reservations. I wanted a table for 6 at 7pm. They said they were full. Normally I would just call somewhere else, but the rest of my party had never eaten there and really wanted to try it and my past experiences have taught me Iron Star is not very good at organizing their reservations and traffic flow. So, I wasn't convinced they really were full.

Sure enough, we arrived at 7pm and were seated 10 minutes later (glad I didn't listen to the person who answered the phone - or, maybe I wish i had.....)

I ordered a couple of orders of the bacon wrapped quail so everyone could try it. I was told (as they always do) that the quail takes a bit longer to prepare. I told them it didn't need to be served as an appetizer and to just bring it to the table with the entrees.

After the waitress stopped by 3 times to apologize for the wait, out food finally arrived almost an hour after ordering it. The quail wasn't with the entrees so I inquired and was told they would be out shortly.

The ribs were really VERY blah. No flavor at all. Very tender, but just not good quality or seasoning. My wife and I had raved previously about the mac and cheese - but we all agreed it was just 'okay' on that night and not creamy or cheesy at all. The corn pudding though was as excellent as ever, as was the whole okra.

Oh, and the quail, it never arrived (except on my bill - which was promptly removed).

We've eaten at Iron Star many times, but this was the first time I ended the meal by apologizing to my guests.

I'll certainly give it another try, but I hope quality control is not slipping.

8. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Check out Smokey Ray's trailer parked on 29th Street in Del City (Just West of Sunnylane in front of a mini mart).

They are putting out some of the best BBQ I have had in OKC recently. The pulled pork has some heat. So if you don't tolerate spicy food well. Stick with the chopped beef.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Check out Smokey Ray's trailer parked on 29th Street in Del City
    (Just West of Sunnylane in front of a mini mart).
    Oh heck, I was near there today. I try it the next time I'm in the
    area.

Ray's BBQ on Lindsay in Norman. Fantastic! And order mac and cheese too!

What days is the place in del city open?

As for Bobs in Ada, it was great. Grew up in the back door of that place, ate it 2 times a week for most of my life. It sold in the 90's to the guy from Legends in norman tried to redesign it with all the OU stuff. He gave it an honest shot, but his food just wasnt consistent and he had an old man at the register who had to be family cause that is the only reason anyone wouldnt have fired him. He was rude and hateful, Bob never was when he was there. There wasnt a better barbq place in the country when it was rolling back in its time. Doug or whatever his name that has the Sooners Legends place raised prices, lowered standards and ran it into the ground before he put it up for sale for about 200k, insane. That place is sitting closed and run down, sad deal for what it used to be in its day. Have tried tons of places and nothing compares to Bobs. Will swallow my pride and try Sooner Legends someday, but i dont expect much after what he did in Ada.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog1 View Post
    As for Bobs in Ada, it was great. Grew up in the back door of that
    place, ate it 2 times a week for most of my life. It sold in the 90's
    to the guy from Legends in norman tried to redesign it with all the
    OU stuff. He gave it an honest shot, but his food just wasnt
    consistent and he had an old man at the register who had to be
    family cause that is the only reason anyone wouldnt have fired him.
    He was rude and hateful, Bob never was when he was there.
    I'm convinced that as soon as the originator of a BBQ restaurant
    is no longer the owner or is in charge of the cooking process that
    the quality of the BBQ will diminish. I didn't eat at Bob's until the
    late 90's and didn't understand why people were crazy about
    mediocre BBQ. You gave the reason. Leo's was the same way.
    It might be family owned but it isn't anywhere near the same as
    when Leo supervised the cooking. Yes, the strawberry cake is
    just as good. That's because they know the recipe and don't
    waver from it. Just follow the instructions.

The originator created the taste by smoking the meat per his
    recipe, knowledge and uncanny ability to stop when it's time to
    remove the meat from the cooker.

Does anybody remember Crockett's BBQ. I say BBQ because
    that's what was on the sign. To tell the truth, I ate there a
    couple of times before I realized it was supposed to be BBQ.
    For some reason my friends liked to go there so I complied.
    I think their motto was, "Crockett's! Mighy bad BBQ."

Crockett's was so bad that I'm convinced they smoked the
    meat, I think it was meat, by smoldering old shoes and grass
    clippings over cedar. No way it could have been pecan,
    hickory or any other favorable wood.

The worst BBQ ever. EVER! I'm still not convinced it was BBQ.

13. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I remember it being 'Crockett's Smokehouse' and their theme song was:

"Crockett's, ... Crockett's Smokehouse. Mighty good Bar-Be-Que."
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Radicalmoderate,
    That shack was Tom's Oaklawn BBQ. It is an old army building and when I first went there in the late 60's it had dirt floors. They remodeled and it had real floors. He retired about ten years ago and somebody took it over and it hasn't been the same since. I wasn't a big fan of anything but the ribs and they were the best I have ever eaten. I loved Han's, Leo's were pretty good but Tom's were smoked just right and like somebody else mentioned, the meat didn't fall off the bone, it required just the right amount of chewing. They were so tender. Another unique thing was that they put hot (heat hot, not spicy hot) sauce, both mild and hot on the table so if you used the sauce, you weren't pouring cold liquid on your hot meal. I think they closed about six months ago. Next time I get over in that area, I will check it out. I haven't seen cars in their parking lot for a long time.
    C. T.

Chandler, I used to eat at Toms about 5 years ago, I thought it was very good. I loved the sauce (and how it was served hot), but went there about a year ago and they no longer served the sauce hot, and it seemed like they decided to dilute it with about 2/3 water. It was nearly inedible.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Really? Was it the place on N.E. 36th and N. Kelly? I'm glad to
    hear that. The last time I ate there is wasn't very good. In
    fact, I decided to not return. Maybe I can change my mind.
    Did you have the strawberry cake? It was the only thing I liked
    on the last trip. It was as if Leo made it.

I believe they were cooking the meat too long. There's a time
    to take it out of the cooker. Some believe more is better. Leo
    didn't. He knew that ust right was just right.
    I used to eat at the Leo's downtown before they closed. I've been to the Leo's on Kelley probably 4 Saturdays in the last 2 months and I believe they are back on track. The Ribs were amazing, with the nice crust on the outside and the meat comes off the bone with just the right amount of chewing. The bologna is really good as well. I never have room for the brisket though. The one thing have been a little disappointed with on the Saturdays I've been is that they do not have the mustard greens out; just the cucumber salad.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bradysmith183 View Post
    The bologna is really good as well.
    Bologna is back on the menu? I'm going as soon as I have the
    opportunity.

Oh heck, I was near there today. I try it the next time I'm in the
    area.
    Prunepicker,
    I went there Friday and he was closed (vacation I believe). Plus the lady said he was only there Wednesday through Sunday. Let me know if you find out different.
    C. T.

maybe you barbecue historians can help me out...

i remember going to a barbecue joint with my dad when i was a kid in the early to mid 80's... it was in the vicinity of old paris flea market and i *think* it was on 15th east of eastern. the place was a hole in the wall, just a bare concrete floor separated by a counter. it might have been called 'hilltop barbecue' or something similar. does that ring any bells with any of you?

-M

[QUOTE=Corndog1;539335]What days is the place in del city open?

As for Bobs in Ada, it was great. Grew up in the back door of that place, ate it 2 times a week for most of my life. It sold in the 90's to the guy from Legends in norman tried to redesign it with all the OU stuff. He gave it an honest shot, but his food just wasnt consistent and he had an old man at the register who had to be family cause that is the only reason anyone wouldnt have fired him. He was rude and hateful, Bob never was when he was there. There wasnt a better barbq place in the country when it was rolling back in its time. Doug or whatever his name that has the Sooners Legends place raised prices, lowered standards and ran it into the ground before he put it up for sale for about 200k, insane. That place is sitting closed and run down, sad deal for what it used to be in its day. Have tried tons of places and nothing compares to Bobs. Will swallow my pride and try Sooner Legends someday, but i dont expect much after what he did in Ada.[/QUOT

I do not think Doug Kennon(sp?), who owns Sooner Legends with his sisters, owned Bob's when it was in Norman. I think Doug was the manager and the restaurant was owned by John Jacques, an attorney from Ada. John or his dad, Frank Jacques owned the Bob's in Ada after Bob's daughter sold it. Doug Kennon and his sisters bought the entire motel in Norman after the previous owners put it up for sale and continued selling the Bob's style BBQ with an extended menu in the restaurant with the Sooner Legends name.

I like Sooner Legends BBQ and its other menu items. I admire the Kennons for buying the motel and doing something fun with it.

Bigray in Ok

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Prunepicker,
    I went there Friday and he was closed (vacation I believe).
    Plus the lady said he was only there Wednesday through
    Sunday. Let me know if you find out different.
    C. T.
    I will but I don't know when that will be.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    maybe you barbecue historians can help me out...

i remember going to a barbecue joint with my dad when i was a kid in the early to mid 80's... it was in the vicinity of old paris flea market and i *think* it was on 15th east of eastern. the place was a hole in the wall, just a bare concrete floor separated by a counter. it might have been called 'hilltop barbecue' or something similar. does that ring any bells with any of you?

-M
    I dont recall a BBQ place but wasnt there a truckstop in that vicinity that had hilltop in the name (may stil be there for all I know, dont get over that way much)??? Seemed out of the way (not directly on the interstate) but recall seeing more truckers there than the ones that were.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bradysmith183 View Post
    I used to eat at the Leo's downtown before they closed.
    RED LIGHT! WARNING!
    Leo's was downtown? I didn't know that. I know that Pulliam's was
    on about N.E. 4th and Lincoln. Leo's was downtown? When? Where?
    I honestly don't remember that and I worked downtown in the 60's.

The Leo's downtown location was on Harrison, they were open there the past few years until last fall I believe. Most of the time they were open there the 36th & Kelly location was undergoing some work and was closed. The one that I frequented the most was the Western location where Earl's started.

Prunepicker Guest

The Leo's downtown location was on Harrison...
    That's not Downtown. That's on the East side! LOL

The one that I frequented the most was the Western location
    where Earl's started...
    Leo's place on N. Wester was where the Gridiron Drive In was for
    many, many years. He opened there in the early 80's. It was
    good, but Leo was still alive and in control.

The Gridiron had some fine burgers.

That's not Downtown. That's on the East side! LOL
    The people in Deep Deuce will be very surprised to find out that they don't live Downtown. LOL

Thread Information