Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    That's not Downtown. That's on the East side! LOL
    It was right where Harrison splits from 4th just past the railroad trestle.

Leo's place on N. Wester was where the Gridiron Drive In was for many, many years. He opened there in the early 80's. It was good, but Leo was still alive and in control.

The Gridiron had some fine burgers.
    Leo's wife ran it until their divorce, she got it in the divorce and renamed it Feedie's (her name) but still got the sauce from Leo. Charles has been running it in the years since Leo's passing and sometimes Feedie is there at the restaurant. I never knew what was there before, I meeting my dad there for lunch when I started working in the area, it was pretty close to Benham so he and his coworkers frequented it quite often.

Anybody remember when Leo opened a location one block East and one block North of Britton and Penn? I was thrilled, Hertz had moved me from Lincoln Plaza to the new center at 104th and Penn and having Leo's in our back yard was great. I think it was open less than a year though.
    C. T.

There was maybe still is a Hilltop Restaurant a bit east of Crooked Oak High School on SE 15. Had some of the best biscuits and gravy to accompany their scrambled eggs. A bit further east was a hole in the wall bar b cue place that sounds like what you are asking about. The set up was similar to Leo's,picnic tables and benches, the pit was in the north portion of the place, adding smoke and heat. I don't remember the name of the place, but the building was still standing the last time I drove by there, maybe a year ago. As I recall, the Q was pretty ol' good.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    maybe you barbecue historians can help me out...

i remember going to a barbecue joint with my dad when i was a kid in the early to mid 80's... it was in the vicinity of old paris flea market and i *think* it was on 15th east of eastern. the place was a hole in the wall, just a bare concrete floor separated by a counter. it might have been called 'hilltop barbecue' or something similar. does that ring any bells with any of you?

-M

There was maybe still is a Hilltop Restaurant a bit east of Crooked Oak High School on SE 15. Had some of the best biscuits and gravy to accompany their scrambled eggs. A bit further east was a hole in the wall bar b cue place that sounds like what you are asking about. The set up was similar to Leo's,picnic tables and benches, the pit was in the north portion of the place, adding smoke and heat. I don't remember the name of the place, but the building was still standing the last time I drove by there, maybe a year ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    maybe you barbecue historians can help me out...

i remember going to a barbecue joint with my dad when i was a kid in the early to mid 80's... it was in the vicinity of old paris flea market and i *think* it was on 15th east of eastern. the place was a hole in the wall, just a bare concrete floor separated by a counter. it might have been called 'hilltop barbecue' or something similar. does that ring any bells with any of you?

-M

Pulliam's is not gone, we are attemptining to get back to Okc 2013 an exact date I don't have but willing to answer anyother questions you may have...meat, sauce, past locations...ect. (I am a Pulliam)

Quote Originally Posted by larry okc
    I dont recall a BBQ place but wasnt there a truckstop in that vicinity that had hilltop in the name (may stil be there for all I know, dont get over that way much)??? Seemed out of the way (not directly on the interstate) but recall seeing more truckers there than the ones that were.
    isn't that called skyline?

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman
    A bit further east was a hole in the wall bar b cue place that sounds like what you are asking about. The set up was similar to Leo's,picnic tables and benches, the pit was in the north portion of the place, adding smoke and heat.
    that sounds like the place... north side of 15th. pit on the north side of the building. picnic tables with little other seating. i just assumed the place was no longer standing! -M

Skyline is a possibility too....

I think Steve's Rib (Edmond) is the best I have ever had! Not saying Earl's or the others are not good, but Steve's is the best around IMO. However, I am a sauce person so when you have a great HOT BBQ sauce you get bonus points in my book. Also, I usually just stick to brisket so if you are wanting ribs or other meats I cannot speak to those.

I love Steve's (chopped) brisket which is actually shredded through a device they call a buffalo shredder. If you like spicy, get the HOT sauce. It is not HOT but I like the spices. If you want HOT go to Happy Hog by the capitol (ask for the extra HOT sauce).

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sooners83 View Post
    I think Steve's Rib (Edmond) is the best I have ever had! Not
    saying Earl's or the others are not good, but Steve's is the best
    around IMO.
    Steve's is very good. However, I don't understand how you can
    say Steve's is the best and allow Earl's to fit in the good
    category. Earl's is amongst the worst bbq in the world. I've
    had Earl's bbq and am convinced that an Egg McMuffin is by far
    better bbq that anything Earl's has on the menu. I can't stand
    Egg McMuffin's. But they are better bbq than Earl's.

Has anyone noticed that Steve's cobbler is really a dump cake?

In another thread I said good things about Billy Sims. More recently, my meat was sub-par, which would not have been mentioned had not an employee happened by our table asking if everything was good. While sympathetic to my dissatisfaction, he had no idea what the problem was and offered me a to-go container. Why, I asked? Maybe for my dog, he replied. I declined. The best he could offer was "sorry" I didn't like it.

BTW, there was a TIP jar at the cash register, not present before. Thank goodness I didn't tip them in advance!

Prunepicker Guest

"Sorry", has become a worthless word.

I've always considered *sorry* to be one of the best adjectives there is. Just about everybody thinks I'm being a smartass when I tell them I'll accept their apology, but I don't like sorry people. I really do not like sorry anything, especially people. And yes, Earl' is a sorry excuse for bar b cue.

Happy Hog was much better bar b cue before George died a few years ago, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by sooners83 View Post
    If you want HOT go to Happy Hog by the capitol (ask for the extra HOT sauce).

...Has anyone noticed that Steve's cobbler is really a dump cake?
    Are you talking about the Buttermilk Cobbler? That thing sounds terrible but is delicious. My mother raved about it and tried it the last time we were there instead of my usual peach cobbler (which is more on the cobbler side of things and also very good). I like Steves meats but they are getting too pricey. We may have to go there just for dessert in the future

I agree...a few years back when I worked at Taco Bueno, it was an on-the-spot firing offense to say to a customer "Sorry about that" as it comes across as being insincere. We were told to be specific in the reply with something along the lines of: "I apologize for (fill in the blank as to what the issue was)", and then offer to fix the problem. Either with food replacement or if it wasn't something you had the authority to fix as an employee, tell them you will get the manager to resolve the issue. Usually just listening and replacing the broken taco shell or what ever the problem was would make them happy or giving them something free (like a bag of chips, drink or desert item). In rare cases would offer a full refund (may times a refund would be refused by the customer). What little that was "lost" by doing so was more than made up by keeping the customer happy and coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    Happy Hog was much better bar b cue before George died a few years ago, IMHO.
    So true, so true, Happy Hog was my #1 pick for BBQ in the city before we lost George. Now it is Bedlam.

Had Bubba's on 23rd Street a few weeks ago. My timing sucked, it was about 430, and the pork and brisket were from the lunch cooking session, and dried out. The beans and mac n' cheese were outstanding, and the ribs were very good. I will be back at a better time to get the pork when it is fresher. Also, the bologna is EXCELLENT.

I hit Dickie's at 63rd and May last night. Don't bother. It is just chain style meat, "decent", but nothing good. Very little smoke evident in the taste, and the ribs were slathered in a molasses type sauce that was good enough, but just a bit "off". And the beans were quite bland. It is not bad BBQ, but it certainly isn't anything to go out of your way for.

The guy at Billy Sims said "I'm sorry you didn't like it" and "We don't want to lose you as a customer" and other correct things. It blew my mind that his solution was a doggy bag, rather than, say, a coupon for future use. I figured he couldn't write off my tab since it had already been paid. Thankfully, I hadn't dropped a tip into their f%*&g# jar!

I've had it with cashiers, too (Alvarados, for example), asking if everything was all right. They don't know what to do when the customer doesn't follow the script.

How are the beans at Georges Happy Hog since he died? Before, they were the best I've ever had.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    I've always considered *sorry* to be one of the best adjectives there is.
    I disagree. More than not I hear it as a reaction without any sincerity
    whatsoever. "Sorry, tee hee." It's more of a, gee I got caught reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantison View Post

I hit Dickie's at 63rd and May last night. Don't bother. It is just chain style meat, "decent", but nothing good. Very little smoke evident in the taste, and the ribs were slathered in a molasses type sauce that was good enough, but just a bit "off". And the beans were quite bland. It is not bad BBQ, but it certainly isn't anything to go out of your way for.
    Was the AC fixed? Finally got a reply from corporate today asking me if the manager had contacted me resolving the issue yet? He hadn't and I let them know that.

Which brings me back to my point. It's a sorry excuse for an apology.
    I disagree. More than not I hear it as a reaction without any sincerity
    whatsoever. "Sorry, tee hee." It's more of a, gee I got caught reaction.

Sorry I was reading some of the post about out bbq (Pulliams) we never sold the business nor were we ever located on 8th st. I will be happy to answer any questions to help clear up any misunderstandings...like brown sugar in the sauce...

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Check out Smokey Ray's trailer parked on 29th Street in Del City
    (Just West of Sunnylane in front of a mini mart).
    I was in the area about 1:00pm but couldn't find it.

A81522,
    If I read your post correctly, you are a descendant of Pulliams? A lot of us would love to enjoy your que again. By the way, if you are the original Pulliam's, where were you located, Northeast 4th?. Seems like I remember when you were located on the East side of Kelly, South of 36 street.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by A81522 View Post
    Sorry I was reading some of the post about out bbq (Pulliams) we never sold the business nor were we ever located on 8th st. I will be happy to answer any questions to help clear up any misunderstandings...like brown sugar in the sauce...

I mentioned this on another thread a few years ago, still....Bad Brad's in Yukon on Rt 66, or SOME Swadleys locations.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aintaokie View Post
    I mentioned this on another thread a few years ago, still... Bad Brad's in
    Yukon on Rt 66, or SOME Swadleys locations.
    What does this mean? That Bad Brad's is good? That Swadley's is
    good? I've passed by Bad Brad's many times but have never stopped.
    Swadley's is okay. I usually order a bake potato if I eat there. I don't
    order the bbq. I must say that they used to serve a very good ribeye.

The Swadley's are very, very nice people.

Thread Information