Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Smoking Laws

Default Re: Smoking Laws

The City of Guthrie now has banned cigarettes in some public places.
    Tobacco, E-Cigarettes banned in Guthrie | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com
    I thought that the state government squashed this concept for OKC (and all metros). Can anybody refresh my memory on that?

I believe an entity (such as the City of Guthrie or a school district) can dictate tobacco policy on the properties they own, but a municipality cannot create over-arching anti-tobacco laws that are more stringent than those on the state level.

So, Guthrie can implement this policy only on the property it owns.

Default Smoking Laws

Seems this came up a bit in another thread and I came across this article about a cool campaign to get bars to voluntarily adopt anti-smoking rules. I hope it is successful.

Oklahoma campaign pushing for smoke-free bars | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

From a business perspective I don't see how its beneficial to allow smoking these days. That's likely why pretty much every new bar that opens up is non-smoking. Convincing older establishments to go smoke free is a little more difficult and hopefully this campaign helps.

5. Default Re: Smoking Laws

But most "bars" are really restaurants that are required by law to remain non-smoking (or spend crazy money on a separately-ventilated area that could be rendered useless at any moment by new legislation). Grandad's is one of the few "bars" I can recall opening recently, and good on them for opening non-smoking. I think it has enabled a very loyal base for them, but I'm sure they also lose some smokers to the Blue Note.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    But most "bars" are really restaurants that are required by law to remain non-smoking (or spend crazy money on a separately-ventilated area that could be rendered useless at any moment by new legislation). Grandad's is one of the few "bars" I can recall opening recently, and good on them for opening non-smoking. I think it has enabled a very loyal base for them, but I'm sure they also lose some smokers to the Blue Note.
    You are right. Most "bars" in OKC are ABC-2 being that ABC-3 is relatively difficult to obtain in this state. I am guessing most ABC-3 places allow smoking? I am pretty sure the new Circus Party Bar does not.

What percentage of people who patron bars do you think are smokers?

7. Default Re: Smoking Laws

I don't know if I would go so far as to say that most of them do, but certainly most places that do are ABC-3, if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    What percentage of people who patron bars do you think are smokers?
    Different question....what % are smokers when they drink? Never quite understood the whole I only smoke when I drink but have many friends that never smoke but as soon as they have had a few...are bumming cigs from the smokers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Different question....what % are smokers when they drink? Never quite understood the whole I only smoke when I drink but have many friends that never smoke but as soon as they have had a few...are bumming cigs from the smokers.
    I really wish I could do that but if I have one cigarette I will be back to a pack-a-day within a week. People who only smoke when they drink have likely never been really addicted, but enjoy it when under the influence of alcohol. Nicotine and alcohol complement each other, making both buzzes more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    From a business perspective I don't see how its beneficial to allow smoking these days. That's likely why pretty much every new bar that opens up is non-smoking. Convincing older establishments to go smoke free is a little more difficult and hopefully this campaign helps.
    Is that really the case? I thought most bars that had opened recently around the metro at the very least had a smoking section or an anything goes patio area?

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Is that really the case? I thought most bars that had opened recently around the metro at the very least had a smoking section or an anything goes patio area?
    By non smoking he means indoors. smoking is allowed on patios at most.

From the Journal Record:

Smoking or non? Decade after law passed, restaurants say patrons’ attitudes have changed

By: Sarah Terry-Cobo The Journal Record December 15, 2014

OKLAHOMA CITY – Attitudes about smoking are shifting in Oklahoma, according to a nonprofit group. On Monday, Free
    The Night released survey results showing more public support for smoke-free nightclubs and bars.

The group is funded by the Oklahoma Tobacco Settlement Endowment Trust, or TSET, and aims to encourage entertainment venues to voluntarily adopt smoke-free policies.

Nearly eight in 10 respondents prefer smoke-free bars and clubs, according to survey results. Only 8.4 percent of those who responded said they would not go to a bar if it didn’t allow smoking. The poll was conducted among 1,937 people at 22 events between April and September 2014 in Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

In 2005, the Legislature passed a law requiring restaurants to completely enclose smoking areas and ensure separate ventilation. David Egan, director of operations at Cattlemen’s Steakhouse, said Cattlemen’s was one of many restaurants that decided to create separate rooms. He spent about $38,000 to install separate ventilation systems, a negative air exhaust system and a dividing wall.

Yet in January, the iconic eatery took down the walls and made the entire dining area smoke-free. He said the smoking room was popular when it was created, but over time, it fell out of favor. Egan found patrons waited for tables in the nonsmoking section, even when tables were available on the smoking side.

He said he thought the survey illustrates a shift he has seen at his own business.

“Today, the whole attitude has changed: Nonsmokers demand nonsmoking areas and smokers have adjusted to wherever they eat their food,” Egan said.

Junior’s of Oklahoma City has maintained its separate areas in its bar and restaurant. Owner Jim Shumsky said he bought the historic piano bar and restaurant in 2004 and spent $200,000 the next year to retrofit his business to comply with the new law. The dining room area of the restaurant became smoke-free, and the bar remained a smoking area. Demand for a smoking area remains strong, he said.

Shumsky said he still gets a lot of customers who want to drink a cocktail or two and smoke a cigar, even though some bars may have patrons who don’t want to be in a smoky establishment. In fact, often 80 people will show up to Junior’s bar to listen to the piano players, though only a few patrons are smoking.

Even if demographics are changing, it won’t stop those who want to continue to use tobacco products, he said.

“If I didn’t have a smoking bar … they’ll just go to Remington Park or wherever they can,” Shumsky said.

Secondhand smoke is known to increase health risks, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The survey showed 90 percent of respondents agreed secondhand smoke exposure is a serious health risk, and nearly 89 percent believe secondhand smoke increases nightclub and bar employees’ risk for cancer.

Egan said his employees were allowed to choose whether they worked on the smoking or nonsmoking side of the restaurant. He said he couldn’t tell if the move to go entirely smoke-free has benefited his staff.

“Is everyone a little better off?” he said. ”I’m sure. Is it measurable to us? Probably not. Everyone knows you’re better off when you’re not in a smoke-filled room.”

It's hard to believe in this day and age that Oklahoma not only still allows smoking in bars and restaurants (with some limitations) and worse yet, won't allow cities to set their own laws.

If that was the case, OKC and Tulsa would have no doubt already passed non-smoking laws.

Most other states and many countries have much strict laws that have been working great, some for over two decades now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's hard to believe in this day and age that Oklahoma not only still allows smoking in bars and restaurants (with some limitations) and worse yet, won't allow cities to set their own laws.

If that was the case, OKC and Tulsa would have no doubt already passed non-smoking laws.
    It's amazing to me that Mary Fallin can get pissed off at the Federal government controlling what states can do but the state can override what the cities want to do.

The Park Bar on NW 39th street has changed hands and will become non-smoking on Jan 1st. Very much looking forward to that as it is the first in the Gay District to go non-smoking other than the Boom being smoke free on the showbar side of the house due to food service.
    really wish the state would allow the City to pass a non-smoking ordinance!

17. Default Re: Smoking Laws

Good news about the park. I love that place. Hope the smoking thing works out for them. Smoking is popular wI think the demographic. What made sense 5 or so years ago was the logic that smokers drink more and it's per seat volumes over quantity of customers. But tastes are changing.

To clarify with what I've learned in my recent process. ABC-3 doesn't restrict your food sales in any way, you can sell 100 hamburgers, only 2 beers, smoke 1000 cigarettes and be abc-3, but the age restriction applies to patrons AND employees. Only abc-2 and 1 (age restriction in bar area only) requires a 60/40(correct me if I'm wrong on the math) split so if you sell too much booze you have to rezone. I am abc-3 because I chose to be. And I was zoned for it in my spud. I'm non-smoking no-vaping by choice as well as 21&up because I chose abc-3 even though 2 was an option. Despite the fact that there's food served; it's still an adult place where we do and say adult things. That's why I branded it the pump bar. And a bit of okie history goes with it hardening back to the bottle clubs when liquor bars in OKC were clubs, store club, Wiltshire club, hi-Lo club, etc. it denotes what to expect(I hope) when you read the name.

That said, we open tomorrow. 4pm-2am weekdays 11-2am sat&sun (starting January), with brunch! First two weekends will be 4-2hours to get my people settled in before adding a third menu. Menu's by Chef Guy Romo: Bar menu 4pm-12am with Chalkboard entrees and daily deserts served 6-10 featuring new southern style cuisine. We feature 3 cocktail menus, 16 local, regional, and national draft selections on that fancy new mixed gas, glycol chilled, individually pressurized beer systems everyone is talking about. 3.2 specials. 75 beer&cider package selections. And a host of party liquors, ports, single malts, affordable yet distinguished house wine by the glass or bottle with captain's list (coming soon). Oh and my $5 beer and shot special is coming too.

That my friends, was a shameless, shameless, plug.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    It's amazing to me that Mary Fallin can get pissed off at the Federal government controlling what states can do but the state can override what the cities want to do.
    Because Fallin isn't the state. In fact, she's come out in support of the bills that would allow the cities to pass these bans.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Yep. Marry Fallin is against 'big federal government' because they can control what she does. She loves big government though, so as long as she's in control of it.

But again, Fallin has repeatedly been on the side of letting the cities pass smoking ordinances. Her administration is pushing for it. So folks are barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    But again, Fallin has repeatedly been on the side of letting the cities pass smoking ordinances. Her administration is pushing for it. So folks are barking up the wrong tree on this one.
    It was my understanding that the governor signed in a law passed by the legislator that barred any city from prohibiting smoking in public. Is that not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It was my understanding that the governor signed in a law passed by the legislator that barred any city from prohibiting smoking in public. Is that not the case?
    No and cities have long been barred from prohibiting smoking, and Fallin has been trying to change that.

Recently - Protect Local Control :: ANR (Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights)

And they got something passed, just not what they wanted -

Protect Local Control :: ANR (Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights)

You can thank David Walters, IIRC, for the most recent banning local control over smoking bill being signed.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Because Fallin isn't the state. In fact, she's come out in support of the bills that would allow the cities to pass these bans.
    "Cities across Oklahoma are now prohibited from establishing mandatory minimum wage or vacation and sick-day requirements under a bill signed into law Monday by Gov. Mary Fallin."

Mary Fallin Signs Minimum Wage Hike Ban in Oklahoma - US News

And then the second and third paragraphs of this article:

http://www.ktul.com/story/26715617/g...riage-decision

Wow. Didn't know we were taking about anything besides smoking.... My mistake for clicking on a thread called "smoking laws".

Thread Information