Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 2011 population estimates for OKC metropolitan area

Default New 2011 population estimates for OKC metropolitan area

New Census Bureau data released today with population estimates of metro areas as of July 2011:

http://www.census.gov/popest/data/me...011/index.html

They estimate a population of 1.278 million, growth of almost 20,000 from the prior year. Over half that growth was estimated to be due to migration to OKC, with about 8,800 moving to OKC from within the country. Looks like OKC's growth is maintaining its momentum and if it continues at this rate, the MSA population could approach 1.5M by 2020.

OKC has now passed Richmond, VA, to become the 43rd largest MSA in the country.

By comparison Tulsa remained 52nd largest, growing by about 6,800 people with domestic migration numbers barely in positive territory (+189). Its 2011 population was estimated to be 947,000. At this rate the Tulsa MSA could hit 1 million by 2010, but it will be close.

DFW and Houston were the two greatest gainers at 126,000 and 111,000 respectively. DFW will probably break 7M by 2015 and Houston will likely get there by decade's end. DFW and Houston are the 4th and 5th largest MSAs in the country.

Default Re: New 2011 population estimates for OKC metropolitan area

Thanks very much for the information.

That growth represents a rate of about 15.6% if extrapolated over 10 years. By way of comparison, from 2000-2010 OKC's MSA grew by 14.4%.

Solid growth but hardly in boom town category, which is 20%+. The much bigger cities of Dallas, Houston, Phoenix and Atlanta as are still well north of 20%. Charlotte and Austin are both well over 30%.

It might be more as of late, I am noticing a lot of people moving here from out of state. We hired some new people at my job, one lady that was hired just moved here from Illinois, and a guy and his family just moved here from Virginia. He said he moved to Oklahoma City based on his research as the best place to start over and raise a family. They are a fairly young couple (late 20's) , with a brand new baby, I thought it was interesting.

I also live in a fairly new middle-class subdivision in Moore, and it seems every new home built, I see cars with out of state tags moving in.

I love information like this, Is there any statistic that show which metro cities are growing the fastest? IMO think Mustang and Yukon are growing the fastest.

6. Default Re: New 2011 population estimates for OKC metropolitan area

So can we sort of estimate Oklahoma City's population from that data or is it already presented somewhere? Maybe 590,000?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoy18 View Post
    I love information like this, Is there any statistic that show which metro cities are growing the fastest? IMO think Mustang and Yukon are growing the fastest.
    According to the 2010 census, Moore grew a whopping 34% from 2000-2010, fastest growth in the metro area, I am sure the trend in continuing for Moore...

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    So can we sort of estimate Oklahoma City's population from that data or is it already presented somewhere? Maybe 590,000?
    I read an article around the end of last year and it said that Oklahoma City was well over 580,000 so based on that I would think we're approaching or have already passed 590,000.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    According to the 2010 census, Moore grew a whopping 34% from 2000-2010, fastest growth in the metro area, I am sure the trend in continuing for Moore...
    Really? Moore? I'm honestly surprised but not surprised, if that makes sense. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoy18
    US Census Bureau population estimates for municipalities will be released in May. The most recent data for individual cities is from the 2010 Census.

Believe it or not, Yukon is actually one of the slower-growing suburbs of OKC. Mustang is much faster-growing than Yukon, but still lags behind a few others (see below).

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker
    Actually if going by strictly the growth rate, Blanchard smoked all the other cities (over 5,000 population) in the metro with 172% growth from 2000 to 2010. In fact Blanchard grew more just in raw numbers (4,800) than Mustang (4,200). Piedmont, Newcastle, and Tuttle were all over 40% growth as well.

If you're talking "major" suburbs/cities in the OKC metro, then yes, Moore posted the fastest growth rate.

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    Really? Moore? I'm honestly surprised but not surprised, if that makes sense. LOL
    Yep, Moore went from 41,000 to 55,000 from 2000-2010, 34% growth.

Quote Originally Posted by semisimple View Post
    US Census Bureau population estimates for municipalities will be released in May. The most recent data for individual cities is from the 2010 Census.

Believe it or not, Yukon is actually one of the slower-growing suburbs of OKC. Mustang is much faster-growing than Yukon, but still lags behind a few others (see below).

Actually if going by strictly the growth rate, Blanchard smoked all the other cities (over 5,000 population) in the metro with 172% growth from 2000 to 2010. In fact Blanchard grew more just in raw numbers (4,800) than Mustang (4,200). Piedmont, Newcastle, and Tuttle were all over 40% growth as well.

If you're talking "major" suburbs/cities in the OKC metro, then yes, Moore posted the fastest growth rate.
    When I think of cities in the metro area, Blanchard, Piedmont, Newcastle and Tuttle don't come to mind, lol....I really don't consider them part of the metro area...

When I think OKC metro, I think of Norman, Moore, Del City, Midwest City, Edmond, Yukon, Mustang....

When I think of cities in the metro area, Blanchard, Piedmont, Newcastle and Tuttle don't come to mind, lol....I really don't consider them part of the metro area...
    You may not think of them that way, but they most certainly are! All of them are within the metropolitan area boundaries. They are indeed disconnected from the urban area of OKC somewhat, but I think it's fair to attribute their rapid growth to the overall economic expansion of greater OKC. In my experience, growing up not far from Piedmont, many families in that area work in OKC proper but choose to live farther out simply to have more space.

Quote Originally Posted by semisimple View Post
    [ In my experience, growing up not far from Piedmont, many families in that area work in OKC proper but choose to live farther out simply to have more space.
    Like it's so crammed once you get south and east of the Kilpatrick Turnpike... lol

I read these posts every time the census releases new population projections and although OKC is growing, the growth is no where near the level that warrants unsupported enthusiasm or attention. OKC's population is still less than 100K greater than N.O. which experienced a horrific natural disaster. Truth is OKC is not a super growth metro, the reasons why can be debated by the facts don't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I read these posts every time the census releases new population projections and although OKC is growing, the growth is no where near the level that warrants unsupported enthusiasm or attention. OKC's population is still less than 100K greater than N.O. which experienced a horrific natural disaster. Truth is OKC is not a super growth metro, the reasons why can be debated by the facts don't lie.
    Hold on there. I think we can all feel supportive of the progress that has been made over the past 2-3 years, particularly as the recession has been stalling growth elsewhere. The "growth of our growth" is what is promising. I agree, we need more growth. But our economy has been one of the nation's strongest, our quality of life is no longer repelling people from taking our jobs, and NET in-migration from elsewhere around the nation has been strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Hold on there. I think we can all feel supportive of the progress that has been made over the past 2-3 years, particularly as the recession has been stalling growth elsewhere. The "growth of our growth" is what is promising. I agree, we need more growth. But our economy has been one of the nation's strongest, our quality of life is no longer repelling people from taking our jobs, and NET in-migration from elsewhere around the nation has been strong.
    Don't disagree with any of your posts, however none of those stats you mentioned has resulted in skyrocketing growth( 20% or greater). OKC rate of growth is improving over its historical averages, but, those have not been great and still trails many peer cities ( well, several formally peer cities have long since outgrown us). Some progress but still 43rd?

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Don't disagree with any of your posts, however none of those stats you mentioned has resulted in skyrocketing growth( 20% or greater). OKC rate of growth is improving over its historical averages, but, those have not been great and still trails many peer cities ( well, several formally peer cities have long since outgrown us). Some progress but still 43rd?
    dc, OKC will never be a top ten population center in the US. IMO good sustainable growth is much better than a population explosion like that which has taken place in cities like Phoenix or Las Vegas. At some point growth which is too fast can deminish the quality of life (smog, traffic congestion, crime, etc.). OKC could certainly handle growth which is a little faster but I see no reason to be disappointed with where we have been going in that regard.

The OKC-Shawnee Combined Statistical Area population estimate is just over 1.348 million. The Tulsa-Bartlesville CSA estimate is 998,438, so close to that 1 million mark!

IMO these are very solid growth numbers, and have been for at least the past 3 or 4 years. I'm quite frankly surprised how many people here are poo-pooing them.

I think one needs to understand that the pre-2008 notion of a "boom town" is over; both the overall growth of the US and and the internal movement around the country are at multi-decade lows. And yet our growth has accelerated over the same time. No OKC is not a boom town, but its the biggest confirmation yet that we are making progress in building a better community.

Not calling out any posters, but its incorrect that we are somehow getting left behind. Through a little excel magic here some things to ponder. Out of the 360ish metro areas, we rank 35th in percentage of growth (or top 10 percent). Of the 52 metros with at least 1 million, OKC ranks 10th in percentage growth (or top 20 percent). In regards to peer metros, which I regard as those between 1 to 2 million people, only Charlotte and Austin are growing faster. Granted I used MSA numbers, the CSA may change this rank slightly but probably not much.

Of course it means nothing to grow for growth's sake if the rest of the community is going to hell. I personally think its nuts that Charlotte is growing as fast as it is given that area's unemployment rate is still over 10 percent and its major industry (banking) is still in tatters; the same can be said for a lot of FL metros which are seeing their growth rebound.

It surprises me that in all the posts that I read when these stories come out that Memphis is never included as peer cities when they are most likely the first major city that we will pass. I have noticed that each census that comes out, we get closer to them and now we are only about the city of Moore away from passing them. I think that would be a major breakthrough.

Also we keep hearing that we have the smallest NBA market but look at Salt Lake City. Our metro is already past theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by plmccordj View Post
    It surprises me that in all the posts that I read when these stories come out that Memphis is never included as peer cities when they are most likely the first major city that we will pass. I have noticed that each census that comes out, we get closer to them and now we are only about the city of Moore away from passing them. I think that would be a major breakthrough.

Also we keep hearing that we have the smallest NBA market but look at Salt Lake City. Our metro is already past theirs.
    I was born and raised in the SLC metro city of Layton. What most people don't realize about the SLC metro is that the SLC CSA or what we Utah natives call Wasatch Front Metro is 2.2 million!

I was born and raised in the SLC metro city of Layton. What most people don't realize about the SLC metro is that the SLC CSA or what we Utah natives call Wasatch Front Metro is 2.2 million!
    or 1,744,886 which is from the 2010 census

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    or 1,744,886 which is from the 2010 census

I am talking more about the Wasatch Front, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasatch_Front

CSA: is 1.7 million, but the greater urban area of the Wasatch Front is 2.2 million...

Thread Information