Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Coca-Cola Sign on Old Le'Ora's building

Default Re: Great Coca-Cola Sign on Old Le'Ora's building

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    that's true... the benefit there is that the piece could still be enjoyed in a public context. i wouldn't rule that option out depending on how events unfold. my concern, though, would be what happens to the piece if such a business establishment were to fold. -M
    Maybe Devon could find a place for it in NEBU. That complex is as steril as an operating room - it could use some color and character.

that's true... the benefit there is that the piece could still be enjoyed in a public context. i wouldn't rule that option out depending on how events unfold. my concern, though, would be what happens to the piece if such a business establishment were to fold. -M
    Make it contingent on ownership reverting back to you if that were to happen

Congrats!

Yes yes! Awesome work guys!
    I hope to see this in a public space!

Quote Originally Posted by lrostochil View Post
    I'm so glad this piece of OKC history has been saved -- good work, guys! Now, since we all worked together, mmm, you have to invite us over when you get it assembled someday. I'd love to see it up on a wall somewhere. And, I can't believe that someone so casually tossed it out without even thinking twice about it -- makes you wonder what other treasures we've lost in such a cavalier way.
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention and playing a big part in saving it!

Love your photos on Flickr, too.

5. Default Re: Great Coca-Cola Sign on Old Le'Ora's building

http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2012/04/03/7528/

I received an urgent string of emails yesterday as I was busy covering some stories going on at City Hall. For those unaware, a couple of old buildings, both real gems, are being torn down along NE 4. One, the old Le’Ora’s Beautye Salon, had a surprise as the brick walls started coming down…

My friends speculated that from the carton design on the graphic, the sign might date to the 20′s and would be well worth trying to save. But even as this discussion was underway, demolition had already started. The wall was taken down and feared lost forever… but what’s trash to one person is a treasure to another. I am told the sign, left in a pile, has been rescued by fellow history enthusiast and is in safe keeping. I’ll verify this soon and report back…

Wow, this thread was fun to read through! M, congrats on saving the day! Is anyone else heartbroken that this false facade wasn't removed, wall restored, and building properly renovated for a coffee shop?

Quote Originally Posted by just the facts View Post
    what is the deal in okc of creating all these false facades? Is anything in okc even real?
    But Kerry wins.

7. Default Re: Great Coca-Cola Sign on Old Le'Ora's building

Awesome is all I can say.

Ok, 12 x 20 is probably a little larger than I could find a use for (and it would be a shame to cut it down to fit), just glad it is going to get a second life and rescued from the dump!

... my concern, though, would be what happens to the piece if such a business establishment were to fold. -M
    Two thoughts. Find an establishment and have it there 'on loan', similar to how art gets shared amongst museums. Do not pick a Bricktown bar/pub and your odds might improve greatly against the selected business folding on you.

10. Default Re: Great Coca-Cola Sign on Old Le'Ora's building

I would happily display it in one of our stores in Bricktown with proper credit, on loan. We have a number of Bricktown historic items displayed in the same way in a RetroMetroOKC exhibit. Pretty sure it would not fit vertically though, as our ceilings are low-ish. Could be another worthwhile place down here though. One thought might be to contact Coca-Cola and see if they would be interested in being involved.

All ready on it Urbanized. It just so happens that work 1 week a month in the Atlanta headquarters of Coca Cola. I sent an email with the pictures of the sign to my contacts (who also happen to be personal friends) there to see if this is something KO has an interest in.

I don't see it here, so it may have been asked on the Jewel Theater thread, but someone was curious about the name of the grocer. The 1930 city directory lists the name as F E Clemens, Grocer. Not sure of any other details of this person or the business, but I have intrigued a couple other people with this so we may find out more if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    All ready on it Urbanized. It just so happens that work 1 week a month in the Atlanta headquarters of Coca Cola. I sent an email with the pictures of the sign to my contacts (who also happen to be personal friends) there to see if this is something KO has an interest in.
    I think this sign needs to remain in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I think this sign needs to remain in OKC.
    I made that clear in my email to them. I seem to remember a while back reading in one of the employee newsletters that Coke wanted to preserve as many of these types of sign as they could. Obviously it is great advertising for them and would never be allowed in most places where they exist now if they tried to make the sign today. For instance, the City would NEVER allow this sign to go back where it just came from as it would most likely fall under a billboard or sign ordinance that makes these illegal - and that's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Maybe Devon could find a place for it in NEBU. That complex is as steril as an operating room - it could use some color and character.
    No thanks. Ate at Nebu earlier this week and I disagree, not to mention it has great colorful views of the park out front and the MBG. By keeping it "stark" the outdoors become the focal point.

haven't been able to do much this week due to the rain... i'm still putting together a plan of attack to get this thing restored and assembled.

for restoration: i'm not sure termites will be a problem but am consulting with a termite guy just to make sure. until then, these don't get stored in the garage. for each piece, i'll first go over each side with a shop vac to suck up as much grime as possible. then, i'm going to have to do something with all the nails. i'm debating whether to pull them or simply cut the ends off with a dremel. since some of the nail heads are painted over, i'm leaning towards using the dremel. once all the nails and flashing are removed, the plan is to gently clean the painted side with a damp cloth (no soap) and immediately dry off any excess moisture. for preservation, i'm not sure if i'll apply anything to the back of the boards but will apply a layer of spray-on matte clear coat.

i'm still debating on how to display the piece. i'm thinking about attaching a strip of laminate to the top and bottom of the backs of 4-6 boards to build a section. i'll put a bit of felt on the back of the laminate and lean each section on the wall. that seems to me to be the least destructive method of display, both to the piece and my walls.

if you guys have any ideas, cautions, or suggestions... i'd love to hear them.

here's a pic of what the sign looks like right now... the colors are a bit washed out 'cause i took this with my ipad instead of a 'real' camera. -M

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cokesign01.JPG 
Views:	628 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	1193

What if we could incorporate some kind of a permanent outdoor exhibit (properly encased and weather-proofed) in the new Central Park? Throw in other bits of signage removed from old buildings, some of the Baum bldg spires scattered around town, etc...

if some business or organization makes a serious commitment, i'm all for something that gets this piece assembled professionally and displayed publicly. however, i don't think an outdoor display would be ideal for this wooden object. whatever it is, though, i agree it needs to be in oklahoma city.

-M

if some business or organization makes a serious commitment, i'm all for something that gets this piece assembled professionally and displayed publicly. however, i don't think an outdoor display would be ideal for this wooden object. whatever it is, though, i agree it needs to be in oklahoma city.

-M
    How about the state historical society ?

if they were interested, i think that'd be a great place. -M

Another possibility, along the same lines as the OHS, might be the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. It's been a while since I was in there but I think they had an area with older ad materials.

22. Default Re: Great Coca-Cola Sign on Old Le'Ora's building

Actually OHS is a great idea. This sign is right up Bob Blackburn's alley.

Has anyone contacted "Great Plains Coca Cola" here in OKC?
    They might be interested in sponsoring the restoration / display of this!

24. Default Re: Great Coca-Cola Sign on Old Le'Ora's building

Great Plains is no longer Great Plains. It is now a local division of Coca-Cola corporate.

What if it could be encased into something like this in the news M3 Park?

Thread Information