Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Hubcap Alley

Default Re: Hubcap Alley

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    What would be the benefits of saving any of them?
    Oh I don’t know, maybe to preserve character. It’s argubale that OKC has regressed in some ways over the last 10 years as much as people love to boost about how it’s progressed.

What makes major cities unique? Try looking at the last word of my sentence. Uniqueness. Not the cookie cutter bland crap that plagues OKC. We’ve lost Harvester, The entire block almost that the ugly BOK building sits on now, Stage Center, Hubcap Alley, Founders Building, Space Needle, Film Exchange Building, Johnies Charcoal, I believe im missing a few more but all of these places have so much character.

Here in LA, even a f@cking McDonalds is unique from the next one down the street. I’m not necessarily expecting OKC to attain that characteristic, but my point is, in major cities every area is so unique from one another and OKC couldn’t be further from that. It’s like OKC is in urban renewal V2 which would make it the only city I know of that is doing that.

Maybe it will work out and pay off, I hope it does. But me personally, I like old buildings and the city better tread carefully.

I don’t care for retaining old names or half assing things like what they did with the bus sign or with the space needle how they want to keep the atoms monument and preserve it. It’s just depressing. Destroy it like you did with the structure. Same thing with Hubcap alley, all I will ever think is what used to be and no matter what they build unless it’s massive 50+ story skyscrapers, I will still think about the old historic buildings that they could have repurposed and the buildings that are there now or the park they could have built on homes that weren’t worth saving or the plethora of parking lots. Or they could have built the park behind the buildings. Why the f@ck does everything have to be torn down!?!?

This is all my opinion of course and I want the best for the city. So since what’s done is done, I just hope it all works out.

You're 100% correct. But in Oklahoma City, self preservation trumps historical preservation. I love my city but that's how I look at it. Unfortunately, that's also how it usually plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    You're 100% correct. But in Oklahoma City, self preservation trumps historical preservation. I love my city but that's how I look at it. Unfortunately, that's also how it usually plays out.
    I hear you! Born and raised in OKC. I love my city and I always support better and higher use. Just gets so frustrating to see buildings with character torn down when we have so many empty lots that could house the newer buildings which would look so much better in contrast with a historical stock, IMO.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190831_190741.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	15571

This building has degraded significantly from many of the photos of it in this thread, some from as recently as 2017

Oh that's disappointing. I had hoped that building would eventually be saved and rebuilt to it's original 2-story glory... but with that kind of damage I expect to see the MW mark of death spray painted on it soon.

Yeah, that's a building I would like to have seen saved. It would have been good for first floor retail and maybe a couple apartments up top.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Yeah, that's a building I would like to have seen saved. It would have been good for first floor retail and maybe a couple apartments up top.
    Yep, and directly across the street from the lower half of Scissortail Park, too.

Very disappointing.

Thread Information