Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hubcap Alley

Default Re: Hubcap Alley

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    What is this new thing on the profiles that say "{Poster} is on a distinguished road"
    It's a reputation system... Trying to figure out how to get the 'like' function back. This posting rating system will soon disappear as I work through this.

I'm a very tech-savvy person and have done a fair bit of programming but vbulletin (the software we use here) is an absolute nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The properties are generally junk yards for cars.

You think those should have been saved and allowed to continue right next to the new park?

There are legal difficulties in taking private properties by a government entity and then giving / selling it for private use.
    Yeah. There are several buildings worth saving and some that aren’t.

I don’t know how to overcome your last challenge. Maybe they can just work with the property owners and talk to them? Surely most of them would work with the city. The ones that don’t then you just leave them alone. Blighted buildings are part of every major city I’ve been to. Even along Hollywood BLVD. as I’m sure you know there are several dilapidated buildings and one right one Highland.

There are measures that can be taken to make sure the buildings will look as good as possible by code enforcement until an owner that wants to invest will come along. That areas that used to be parking for junk cars could be event space, patios, etc.

If I had the money, I’d turn one of them into a paintball park and another into a restaurant with a several cars that have been modified so you can walk into the and sit down at a table and eat inside of them. Can also use busses for larger groups. Kind of like the Magic Time Machine. Another idea is a “drive in” move theatre but you don’t drive in, the cars are permanently parked there and are modified to have large seats than recline back and a button you can push to alter climate, order food, etc.

Tons of stuff that could be done there.

They have not fully designed the lower park as of yet so they may still include the dog park elsewhere.
    That's good to hear, I would think that would be something they would want to retain.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah. There are several buildings worth saving and some that aren’t.

I don’t know how to overcome your last challenge. Maybe they can just work with the property owners and talk to them? Surely most of them would work with the city. The ones that don’t then you just leave them alone. Blighted buildings are part of every major city I’ve been to. Even along Hollywood BLVD. as I’m sure you know there are several dilapidated buildings and one right one Highland.

There are measures that can be taken to make sure the buildings will look as good as possible by code enforcement until an owner that wants to invest will come along. That areas that used to be parking for junk cars could be event space, patios, etc.

If I had the money, I’d turn one of them into a paintball park and another into a restaurant with a several cars that have been modified so you can walk into the and sit down at a table and eat inside of them. Can also use busses for larger groups. Kind of like the Magic Time Machine. Another idea is a “drive in” move theatre but you don’t drive in, the cars are permanently parked there and are modified to have large seats than recline back and a button you can push to alter climate, order food, etc.

Tons of stuff that could be done there.
    I posted a while back in the Park thread about the buildings along this street. There are some cool and unique structures here that are totally salvageable. It is unfortunate that the park has to go down this side and not the opposite one along Harvey.

Go out and stand on Robinson in this area, and begin to envision little shops and bars with rooftops and patios along this stretch. Think of a longer version of Rainey Street in Austin, TX.

^^+1

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I posted a while back in the Park thread about the buildings along this street. There are some cool and unique structures here that are totally salvageable. It is unfortunate that the park has to go down this side and not the opposite one along Harvey.

Go out and stand on Robinson in this area, and begin to envision little shops and bars with rooftops and patios along this stretch. Think of a longer version of Rainey Street in Austin, TX.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post

I agree but that can still be done on the east side of Robinson.

8. Default Re: Hubcap Alley

I agree but that can still be done on the east side of Robinson.
    There are a couple of buildings on that side that have the character to be a great BBQ joint....... Might be a spot for Maple's to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    There are a couple of buildings on that side that have the character to be a great BBQ joint....... Might be a spot for Maple's to consider.
    You should open up one!

10. Default Re: Hubcap Alley

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    You should open up one!
    I prefer to keep BBQ a hobby.... That and I only plan to be in OKC for a couple of more years and then I'm returning to a rural lifestyle.

But even before plans for a park I always thought one of these two spots, providing they could be rehabilitated, would make great BBQ locations. The second one could even have a backyard type area during the warmer months with picnic tables and maybe even enough room for live music.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4546...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4509...2!8i6656?hl=en

the building in the first google streetview was gutted to become a home if i remember right... i wonder what happened to those plans.

12. Default Re: Hubcap Alley

It's a reputation system... Trying to figure out how to get the 'like' function back. This posting rating system will soon disappear as I work through this.

I'm a very tech-savvy person and have done a fair bit of programming but vbulletin (the software we use here) is an absolute nightmare.
    Yeah, I was active on another board where the reputation feature was co-opted for a pretty brutal Lord of the Flies type civil war, and stupidly became an obsessive flashpoint for moderation/admin. Unintended consequences.

Demolition is in full swing for the lower section of Scissortail Park.

Will this portion have extensive soil remediation due to the nature of the old businesses?

I wonder what the elevation will be of the 'Crescent Lawn' will be? If they build it high enough, it could make for a really epic view of the skyline with the park and Skydance bridge filling the gap between DVN and BOKP.

Blog Entries

I think it's as tall now as it's going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I think it's as tall now as it's going to be?
    He meant the one in the Lower Park.

Blog Entries

That area down Robinson looks like a disaster area. Use to frequent the area for auto parts & hudcaps in its day; they had it--sometimes couldn't find it. Use to ride my bike thru the area; it's not that desirable as a bike path. Prefer to drive to Wiley Post Park, unload bike then ride the river trails.

Cusack Meat Company was the last place I visited with a voucher to pick up a frozen turkey won at an AHL Barons' after game turkey shoot. The smell (rotten meat) from Cusack may be a future problem for the park. Believe me, worst than the Producers' COOP Mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    That area down Robinson looks like a disaster area. Use to frequent the area for auto parts & hudcaps in its day; they had it--sometimes couldn't find it. Use to ride my bike thru the area; it's not that desirable as a bike path. Prefer to drive to Wiley Post Park, unload bike then ride the river trails.

Cusack Meat Company was the last place I visited with a voucher to pick up a frozen turkey won at an AHL Barons' after game turkey shoot. The smell (rotten meat) from Cusack may be a future problem for the park. Believe me, worst than the Producers' COOP Mill.
    As frustrating as it is that the city couldn't acquire the land from Cusack, I am thinking (or maybe just hoping) that they will probably just sell to the highest bidder as soon as the park opens.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    As frustrating as it is that the city couldn't acquire the land from Cusack, I am thinking (or maybe just hoping) that they will probably just sell to the highest bidder as soon as the park opens.
    I doubt it. the lot was used to facilitate truck access to their loading docks. They had pretty solid reasoning for why it would cost them what they were asking to rearrange their whole facility to accommodate the loss of that lot. The only way i see a sale happening is if someone offers them enough to build a brand new state of the art facility in a different location with cheaper dirt.

when the omni hotel; blvd place; new convention center and the central park (north and south) are all complete it would make perfect sense for a new branch of the streetcar to expand southward along robinson all the way into the heart of capitol hill.

How many of the original buildings will be left? If it isn’t much, than perhaps this shouldn’t be called Hubcap Alley anymore.

What would be the benefits of saving any of them? The developers of these properties are gonna have to think big. Soon park-front property will skyrocket in price. If it hasn't already begun. Thus rehabilitating one of these into a lil shop or boutique almost unreasonable.

Thread Information