Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hubcap Alley

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Hubcap Alley streetscape?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here's a photo from Urban Pioneer of the HC Alley property being converted to a residence:

totally jelous!.. that would be an awesome residence for sure!

I was just going to say, the HC Alley signs look nice but you can't build a viable neighborhood around hub cap outlets. Glad to see some renovations taking place.

Probably many more to come.

I will just say it's interesting that the first private development in all of C2S is a...historic renovation.

Default Re: Hubcap Alley

Maybe the car parts are imported from Bethany.

JTF: hadn't thought of that...thanks for the laugh (almost spewed my Diet Coke all over the monitor)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    JTF: hadn't thought of that...thanks for the laugh (almost spewed my Diet Coke all over the monitor)
    I think that is the name of the person who started the business.....

That is a possibility too...but just like some folks could get the suburb of Newcastle confused as having anything to do with the naming of the Ballpark...

I posted this to another thread without response. My friend that works in the planning dept claims that he is working on relocating all of the businesses on the West side for the promenade park. That would be really disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    I posted this to another thread without response. My friend that works in the planning dept claims that he is working on relocating all of the businesses on the West side for the promenade park. That would be really disappointing.
    Well, at least that would mean that private renovation at 1100 S. Robinson would stay; I think it is the most important building to keep. Having at least a block of streetwall of the original buildings on the east side is vital to maintain the character of the district, IMHO.

I agree. There is so much vacant land in the area, why destroy what is left for a park. Absolute idiocy.

11. Default Re: Hubcap Alley

I agree. There is so much vacant land in the area, why destroy what is left for a park. Absolute idiocy.
    I disagree. What they will replace it with will be a huge improvement over what is there now.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I disagree. What they will replace it with will be a huge improvement over what is there now.
    A park can go anywhere but buildings like these will likely never be constructed again. By destroying all of these store fronts the entire district will be lost forever.

Did he say where they were relocatiing to? It would be nice if the City could help encourage these employers to remain in the downtown area.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Did he say where they were relocatiing to? It would be nice if the City could help encourage these employers to remain in the downtown area.
    Kerry, not sure if relocating junk yard dealers downtown is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Kerry, not sure if relocating junk yard dealers downtown is appropriate.
    Are they all junkyard dealers?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Are they all junkyard dealers?
    Pretty much, all used car parts, muffler shops, junk yard and the like. Why would a business that could be re-located downtown be in a dirty, grungy industrial area that has long been shady at best?I can assure you there is no Gap, CPA's or restaurants in Hubcap Alley.

Blog Entries

Replace a trashy rundown area with a nice park. Now that is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Replace a trashy rundown area with a nice park. Now that is stupid.
    A trashy run down area with lots of potential, has good urban characteristics and is already starting to be redeveloped.

Blog Entries

Sometimes I swear that a row of run down outhouses would be declared an urban treasure in OKC.

A trashy run down area with lots of potential, has good urban characteristics and is already starting to be redeveloped.
    A park can go anywhere but buildings like these will likely never be constructed again. By destroying all of these store fronts the entire district will be lost forever.
    Exactly, what's the point of creating a district that has no eponymous or physical link to its name?

Blog Entries

Thank goodness these buildings won't be constructed again in this area. Why anyone would want to would be a real mystery. Any shack CAN be rebuilt, but why?

22. Default Re: Hubcap Alley

There are more than just shacks. Please. Some of those buildings could be really cool, especially with glass garage doors that could open to the sidewalk. Obviously, a lot of it does need to go, but not all of it.

I'll side with preserving some of these buildings. They really do add some character. There's plenty of space for new buildings. Unless there's a great development to replace it... Why tear down?!? As someone else pointed out recently, how did those structures on 9th street look before they were re-done?!?

I think Hubcap Alley is a lot better than 9th Street was to start. There are so few places in the city that have store fronts that open right up to the sidewalk like this. That is either shop good or sara sara cupcakes on the right of the bottom left picture.

Hubcap Alley has buildings with authentic 50s decorations and classic neon signs. Much of the buildings have nice brickwork, unlike the mostly cinderblock metal and wood buildings on 9th street. Also this area has a unique history to it and a close proximity to the river.

Photos obviously from google maps street view.

I suppose that relocating the businesses doesn't necessarily have to mean that they intend to demolish all of the buildings that housed them.

Thread Information