Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Contemporary

Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

So when is ground breaking on the main structure? 2016? 2017?

Besides Steve providing the first good look at final plans for the museum, it also has a video of Rand Elliott discussing the building and the thought that went into it.

It feels like the Dallas Arts District in the 90s.

It's really weird to me that they are leaving the underutilized site at Park Place alone, which will stand between this and A-Alley.

Bunch of new renderings (also in the article at the top of the page):

OKCTalk - OK Contemporary unveils plans for new downtown museum and campus

This building is going to be so frigging cool when it gets built. Totally unique!

Anyone on here been to The British Museum ? It's set back in the front and barricaded all the way around it. It must be just terrible too.

Sounds like a nice gateway stop for commuter rail service in the future.

Press release:

Kirkpatrick Foundation Presents $1 Million Check
    to Oklahoma Contemporary at 60th Anniversary Event

OKLAHOMA CITY (Nov. 23, 2015) - At a Nov. 17 event honoring the Kirkpatrick Foundation's 60th anniversary, the organization presented a $1 million gift to Oklahoma Contemporary Art Center's Capital Campaign.

"Many of Oklahoma City's cultural institutions can trace their origins to the Kirkpatrick Foundation, and so it is with great pleasure that we continue this legacy with a $1 million gift to Oklahoma Contemporary to assist in their efforts to build a new building at 11th and Broadway," said Louisa McCune, Kirkpatrick Foundation's executive director.

Oklahoma Contemporary is raising $26 million to build a new arts education, exhibition and performance center on a 4.6-acre site at NW 11th and Broadway. The arts campus will feature a new 50,000-square-foot building, filled with classrooms, galleries and event space; a renovated 10,000-square-foot building for Industrial Arts; a three-block arts park; and space for outdoor exhibitions, education programs and public performances. Learn more about the campus here.

The $1 million gift is part of a larger $10 million commitment from the Kirkpatrick philanthropies, including $8 million from the Kirkpatrick Family Fund.

Donna Rinehart-Keever, Oklahoma Contemporary's executive director, emphasized the close ties between the organizations. "The Kirkpatrick Foundation's first grant was to help found our organization in 1989, and the Kirkpatrick Family Fund has steadfastly supported our operations with generous annual grants," she said. "Now, the two foundations have joined together as leadership donors for our $26 million campaign to build a new arts education center and cultural destination for Oklahoma."

Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center has taken the first formal step to move it's facility from the fairgrounds to a new location just north of Automobile Alley near downtown Oklahoma City.

The group and their architect Rand Elliott have submitted detailed plans to obtain the required certificate of approval from the Downtown Design Review Committee.

The 4.6 acre campus at NW 12th and Broadway would feature a new 51,000 square foot building, a renovated 10,000 square foot structure and a large amount of outdoor space. They also hope to incorporate bordering Campbell Park in various ways.

The Kirkpatrick Family Fund owns the underlying property and is planning to execute a long-term ground lease to the arts group.

Oklahoma contemporary revealed preliminary plans in June of last year, at which time it launched a capital campaign to raise funds for the new campus.

The modern main building will will house the OK Contemporary offices, art galleries, an art storage area, classrooms, a performance space and a ballet rehearsal studio.

There will be no demolition apart from a parking lot on the west side of the site.

Elliott's “folding light” design incorporates metal panels and sharp angles which the architect believes will be the northern gateway to downtown.

Unlike traditional museums, Oklahoma Contemporary does not collect art but rather focuses on visual and performing arts education for youth, teens and adults.

The group commissioned a study in 2011 that found their mission could better be served by relocating to an area closer to downtown.

The plans will be considered by the review committee on July 21st.

These plans were submitted the day before Rand Elliott strongly argued against the Broadway Park project directly to the south.

11. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

^^^^^^^^
    Just to be clear, this project is not subject to the same design guidelines that the other property is held to. The are each on opposite sides of the DBD/DTD-1 planning boundary.

As a part of the DBD district the Broadway Park building has an obligation to draw its design cues from the district to the south (Automobile Alley), and doesn't yet do a great job of this.

As a part of DTD-1 (downtown transitional district) Oklahoma Contemporary has much more latitude. Most of Midtown is DTD-1, for example, which is why you see much more forgiving reviews for stuff like 1212 Walker (Waffle Champion). The idea is that DTD bridges the gap between urban and more suburban, so can incorporate elements of both.

I'm not saying Broadway Park has been handled the right way, but I think the issue is that Planning sort of abdicated is official role and let an UNofficial entity drive the discussion. Rand isn't all wrong about Broadway Park. It does a poor job of relating to Automobile Alley. Oklahoma Contemporary, on the other hand, has no such obligation.

I know the boundary may seem arbitrary, but if you step back and look at surrounding cohesive building stock it makes sense. When these districts were created, MUCH thought went into them.

Anyway, some misinformation has been creeping into this discussion, and I hope that clears it up for some.

12. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

I'll probably be in the minority here, but I HATE that design.

All that off-street parking in such an urban location...

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I think I understand his intent, but it feels extremely closed off and anti-urban. Very little interaction with the street... little glazing, few doors, etc. The main entry is in what I'd call the rear of the structure; it turns its back to the the urban world around it.

I am not an architect nor an urbanist so this is is strictly a layman's opinion but this building is not inviting at all. Nothing about it it engages the person outside. I always liked the stage center design and didn't understand those that thought it looked like an industrial eyesore. I understand that position now. Hopefully it looks better once built.

16. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

I understand the concept of the boundary, but IMO Broadway Park would help ease the transition from AA to this monstrosity. I've never had a strong opinion of Elliot's work either way, but after he inserted his massive ego into the BP process after the DDRC staff recommended its approval I have no respect for him.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I agree. I think it needs balconies. Huge, Gotti balconies...

Blog Entries

It looks like son of stage center to me

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    It looks like son of stage center to me
    My first thought when I saw it was Stage Center!

I think it looks terrible. I hope the finished product is much better in person.

This shows the relationship of the two buildings being discussed:

2Lanez Guest

It's clear that Rand Elliot spends much more time designing buildings than he does spend time in the buildings he has designed.

I respect Rand's work and he has brought a unique style to Oklahoma with the boathouses among other projects. The following is meant as constructive criticism and not a personal attack in any way.

One thing he regularly does in his own developments is ignore walkability, context, and function at the expense of design. For example, he designed Classen Curve as a walkable, outdoor shopping center and then sprawled it out so much that it's really not very walkable. I doubt many people make the walk from Red Coyote to Upper Crust because despite the (large) storefronts, it's actually a fairly uninteresting walk. The design is great, but it doesn't function well, which is likely at least part of the reason why there are store spaces that have yet to be filled after years of being completed. It's probably the same reason pedestrians have to walk in the street or grass in the boathouse district to move east/west as the sidewalks are meant to fit the design, not be functional.

The same problems exist with this development. Oklahoma Contemporary is at the northern boundary of a walkable district that will likely (hopefully) continue to expand north. Yet, this design, while interesting, is totally uninviting to pedestrians. Instead of pushing the building out to the boundaries of the sidewalks, he pulled the building away from where people walk in a very suburban manner. The building is inappropriate for a walkable context.

And I think that's why it's frustrating for him to critique a quality development that brings life to Automobile Alley -- he doesn't do that in his own developments.

I respect Urbanized a lot so I'll assume there are some things I don't get (I'm an amateur with this stuff) about why the Broadway Park design is inappropriate, but it seems like a homerun to me. And I really like the idea of balconies adding eyes and life to that part of the district.

Like many designs, this to me will depend heavily on the quality of materials used.

Thread Information