Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Banks are not off limits. Banks are private businesses so unless they post, they are not off limits.

here is the list of prohibited places:

1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;

2. Any meeting of any city, town, county, state or federal officials, school board members, legislative members, or any other elected or appointed officials;

3. Any prison, jail, detention facility or any facility used to process, hold, or house arrested persons, prisoners or persons alleged delinquent or adjudicated delinquent;

4. Any elementary or secondary school;

5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;

6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and

7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.

To add to hrdware's post, you can find more detail information here, a link to the final version of the bill: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf...1733 ENR.DOC.

To specifically answer your question about businesses, the new legislation does not change the original language in the most recent version of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

TITLE 21 § 1290.22 BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS

A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title, shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity to control the possession of weapons on any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.

Thanks !!

As an 18 year old born and raised in a quiet small town who will be moving to the SW side of Oklahoma City to attend OCCC next fall, I couldnt be more upset with Mary Fallin than I am now. That side of Oklahoma City has too many dangerous people and now I'll be scared for my life coming out of my apartment just by having a hoodie on. Does she want more cases like Travon to come up? She just really ticked me off!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoy18 View Post
    As an 18 year old born and raised in a quiet small town who will be moving to the SW side of Oklahoma City to attend OCCC next fall, I couldnt be more upset with Mary Fallin than I am now. That side of Oklahoma City has too many dangerous people and now I'll be scared for my life coming out of my apartment just by having a hoodie on. Does she want more cases like Travon to come up? She just really ticked me off!
    What?? You should be afraid of the criminals not the law abiding citizen. The same people carrying concealed today will be the ones that will be able to carry openly on Nov 1. Just because you couldn't see their gun you wouldn't have been afraid of them?? That doesn't make much sense to me. Just don't go around threatening and attacking people and it won't be an issue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    What?? You should be afraid of the criminals not the law abiding citizen. The same people carrying concealed today will be the ones that will be able to carry openly on Nov 1. Just because you couldn't see their gun you wouldn't have been afraid of them?? That doesn't make much sense to me. Just don't go around threatening and attacking people and it won't be an issue for you.
    Some people are going to take full advantage of this law.. Foolishly just wait and see.

Soonerboy, as you are 18, for the vast majority of your life it's a reasonable bet you have wandered around, hoodie or no hoodie, twixt and tween folks who were strapped, but who carried their handgun concealed from view.

As you just typed your worries today, it is also a fair bet no one has gunned you down and you're safe, sound and amongst the living. Why oh why if you've lived nearly all of your life walking around folks who may, or may not, have been wearing a sidearm, would you suddenly find a fear merely in actually knowing some of them definitely are.

Not to be mean toward your fear, but if it is going to exist, it's probably better to fret over folks who don't visibly because that group includes the lawful concealers and the unlawful concealers, the latter quite likely being more prone to mischief and mayhem.

8. Default Open Carry

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-governor-...rticle/3675750

Gov. Mary Fallin signed into law Tuesday a measure that allows Oklahomans to openly carry handguns.

Article Gallery: Oklahoma governor signs open-carry bill into law
    The measure, Senate Bill 1733, allows those who are licensed to carry a firearm under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act to openly carry a weapon or conceal it.
    It also allows a property owner to openly carry a handgun on his or her land. No concealed carry permit would be required.
    To receive a license under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act, applicants must take a firearms safety and training course and submit to a background check by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors may not receive a handgun license.
    The measure takes effect Nov. 1.
    Oklahoma is the 25th state with either “permissive open carry” laws, or no permit required, or “licensed open carry,” which requires a permit. Oklahoma now joins Utah, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Hawaii and Massachusetts as a “licensed open carry” state.
    “As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and a gun owner myself, I'm happy to sign this bill into law and grant law-abiding citizens the ability to openly carry firearms,” Fallin said. “Senate Bill 1733 sends a strong message that Oklahoma values the rights of its citizens to defend themselves, their family and their property. It does so in a responsible way, by requiring those citizens who choose to ‘open carry' to undergo both firearms training and a background check.”

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Oh, don't devolve into abject silliness. You're so much better than that.
    My thoughts exactly when you fired off the false equivalence I was responding to.

Default Re: Open Carry

Now the bad guys know who to shoot first.

Sad day. This governor has done more to validate Oklahomas ignorance, racism and lack of progressive initiatives than any other that I can remember. Vigilante justice now sanctioned by the State. Predict she will pardon that pharmicist before long.

SoonerBoy18, Double Edge, et al.:

Please point to specific news accounts, law enforcement data and/or reputable studies and statistics quantifying the explosion of violence, chaos and lawlessness that has occurred in the following states that preceded Oklahoma as "licensed open carry" states: Utah, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Hawaii and Massachusetts.

13. Default Re: Open Carry

Great day for conceal carry holders, printing is no longer an issue and if you weapon becomes exposed you won't be charged with a misdemeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Sad day. This governor has done more to validate Oklahomas ignorance, racism and lack of progressive initiatives than any other that I can remember. Vigilante justice now sanctioned by the State. Predict she will pardon that pharmicist before long.
    Do you hold the following states in such low disregard as well?

(As I pointed out earlier) Utah, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Hawaii and Massachusetts, all of whom preceded Oklahoma as "licensed open carry" states.

Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, Alaska, North Carolina, Nevada, and Kentucky, which are "permissive open carry" states (which means the states have passed full preemption regarding all firearm laws; these states permit open carry to all law-abiding citizens without a criminal record without any special permit or firearms license).

Maine, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Ohio, West Virginia, Michigan, Wisconsin, Alabama, Louisiana, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Oregon and Washington, which are considered "open-carry-friendly" states.

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    Except for design, purpose and intent. In other words, not really. I said it was the point of carrying a weapon and it is:

Anyone carrying a loaded weapon is a deadly threat with zero to a couple of seconds from potentially being an imminent deadly threat. That's the point in carrying.
    Any one who drives a car with that point is a menace to society.

Shame you can't own up to the truth.
    The real shame is that you fail to understand that the intent of carrying a weapon within the limits of the law is to protect yourself and your family. The only people I am a threat to is someone who attempt to do me mortal harm. Any one who brandishes a weapon illegally is likely just as much of a menace to society as someone who drives a car in a manner meant to kill someone.

SB1733 was signed by the governor today and will take effect Nov 1, 2012.
    YES! I've already got my eye on a concealment holster that, while it doesn't conceal as well as the one I have, is much more comfortable.

I dont know too much about the crime rate in Oklahoma City but I do know the rate has gone up in January 2012. And the south side of Oklahoma City is not a great place to be so this should be interesting.

For anyone who missed it, what happened today is the gov. signed an act that creates a new law which will take effect on November 1 of this year. So while open carry is coming, it is still more than five months away.

As a 17 year old who was born and raised on southside I can tell you your fears should be non-existant. I can understand why you have the misperception that you are walking straight into your grave by going to OCCC with this bill passed but with all due respect, it's ignorant of you to be any more worried now than you were in the first place. If I were you I would be more worried about getting involved with the gangs than I would be about someone shooting me because I'm wearing a hoodie.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Now the bad guys know who to shoot first.
    Where is your proof???

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    How do you figure? Oklahoma has had concealed carry for 17 years without all the blood in the streets that everyone was predicting. The same people carrying concealed today will be the ones able to carry openly on Nov 1. Does the date magically change my personality and my mentality? I think not, so where does this vigilante justice idea come from. If it were true, it would already be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    The real shame is that you fail to understand that the intent of carrying a weapon within the limits of the law is to protect yourself and your family. The only people I am a threat to is someone who attempt to do me mortal harm. Any one who brandishes a weapon illegally is likely just as much of a menace to society as someone who drives a car in a manner meant to kill someone.

YES! I've already got my eye on a concealment holster that, while it doesn't conceal as well as the one I have, is much more comfortable.
    Stray bullets, misunderstandings, accidents and agendas changing in the heat of the moment notwithstanding. Not speaking about you specifically, mind you, I'm sure you have never made a mistake (Zimmerman? The cop who killed a kid shooting a snake?); misunderstood someones intentions (Zimmerman?); nor lost control of your emotions (Zimmerman?) in your life.

I dont know too much about the crime rate in Oklahoma City but I do know the rate has gone up in January 2012. And the south side of Oklahoma City is not a great place to be so this should be interesting.
    How do you equate what criminals do to restoring rights to law abiding citizens. Do you think the criminals had guns magically appear in their hands when they shot someone because they couldn't legally carry them around? Criminals don't care about the law. Laws are only for law abiding citizens.

Stray bullets, misunderstandings, accidents and agendas changing in the heat of the moment notwithstanding. Not speaking about you specifically, mind you, I'm sure you have never made a mistake (Zimmerman? The cop who killed a kid shooting a snake?); misunderstood someones intentions (Zimmerman?); nor lost control of your emotions (Zimmerman?) in your life.
    Not while I've been carrying a firearm I haven't.

Let's not forget innocent until proven guilty (Zimmerman?) and all that other constitutional stuff we have either.

Not while I've been carrying a firearm I haven't.

Let's not forget innocent until proven guilty (Zimmerman?) and all that other constitutional stuff we have either.
    Right. Every person who gets a permit is a perfect, omnipotent, crack shot, killing machine.

innocent
    The reason for the question mark but if not him as a poster child, someone else has/will make all those mistakes.

Right. Every person who gets a permit is perfect.

The reason for the question mark but if not him as a poster child, someone else has/will make all those mistakes.
    Not everyone. In the 17 years Oklahoma has had concealed carry, around 170000 permits issued and 160 revocations in that time frame. Also in that same 17 years we have not one single case of a bad shooting under the SDA law.

That's pretty damn close to perfect in my book.

Thread Information