Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    While, I never get nervous when seeing a policeman carrying a gun, I can understand how some people might. Quite a few years ago I flew into Rome shortly after the Italian premier, Aldo Moro, had been murdered. There were military people all over the airport carrying rifles. They were doing their job but it gave me quite an unsettled feeling to see something like that unexpectedly.
    well said, now how will you feel to see a lot of strange civilians, maybe even militia types open carry right in OKC? Walking up & down your neighborhood on the sidewalk while children play. You want young children to see all these guys carrying guns?

for some reason, I have suspicion about people with a need to open carry. Must be very fearful types.

2. Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Quote Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
    well said, now how will you feel to see a lot of strange civilians, maybe even militia types open carry right in OKC? Walking up & down your neighborhood on the sidewalk while children play. You want young children to see all these guys carrying guns?

for some reason, I have suspicion about people with a need to open carry. Must be very fearful types.
    You are so far out there its impossible to continue to take your seriously. There is ZERO evidence that we'd see 'a lot of strange civilians' carry openly even if the law is passed. It hasn't happened in other states so why would it happen here. Also, we have a large number of civilians that do have licenses to conceal and carry, yet when do we hear news stories of them randomly getting into fights and killing people?

so you are scared to death all the time
    Where did that even come from? I guess you missed the part where I said I don't even own a gun.

I definately don't have a big issue with open carry but I can promise you you won't know that I have a gun on me unless I pull it out accordingly for self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    sounds like proof you've never observed a legislative debate in recent years.
    Open carry is a close second

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    The only 'burden' here would be the burden of being a responsible gun owner.

Your rights end where mine begin.
    Now you're defining what a responsible person is, I don't buy it. You can be a responsible gun owner without doing all that other stuff. In 17 years of CC, we have not had a single bad shooting related to the SDA. Requiring extra training and extra insurance to exercise a right, creates a financial burden for anyone wishing to exercise that right.

I don't entirely buy the "Your rights end where mine begin" line. You have the right of free speech, I have the right to not listen. That doesn't mean you have to be silent though.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    So zoning is a poll tax? The right to own property isn't debated. The right to own property in a way that subverts the rights of others is, and is regulated. Voting doesn't subvert the rights of others. It should never be taxed or regulated that way.
    I missed the constitutional amendment that provides the right to property. I had to buy my property from someone selling it. If property is a right, then I got ripped off and I want my constitutional guaranteed property!!

Also depends on who is interpreting your 'rights.' Many would argue you have no right to bear arms in public - which is why you can't in some states.
    There are currently 7 states that do not have any form of open carry, and many would argue it is the case simply because no one has taken them to court to get it overturned as unconstitutional. Federal court recently found Maryland's may issue permit system unconstitutional so why wouldn't an all out ban be unconstitutional as well?

no BB, when I see anyone carry a gun I immediately feel threatened. even when I see LEOs carry. my guess you must feel the same way, since you want to carry one. you must feel threatened. why would you carry?

You won't be around me carrying a weapon.
    So because I don't like the color red, we should not allow people to wear red shirts because I feel uncomfortable around them? Same concept, a properly holstered firearm is no threat to anyone. There has never been a firearm leap from it's holster and go off on a rampage all by itself.

concede that but it's not provocative and a visible threat to anyone else unarmed.

let me ask. If you are in public place with your children, say toddler age. You are unarmed and a young parent. How would you feel to see an armed man to enter your space? Now before you just blow that off, think about it. And if not you, the single mother you know, unarmed, and someone brings a huge weapon on their hip.

Perhaps you might ask your wife or mother how they might feel? Do you expect them to carry. I bet you do, you want them to conceal, because crazy Okies are carrying guns around!

and if you didn't feel threatened, why in the hell would you feel compelled to open carry in the first place?
    If the armed man is at the grocery store picking up some egg and cereal and a gallon of milk, I could care less.

Oh, and I do carry out of fear, fear for my family. I am afraid that someday, at the end of the day, they will be without a father and a husband. I carry so that I can provide myself the best opportunity to make it home to them at the end of the day.

Not using all the resources available to you is like trying to put your seat belt on right before you are involved in a car accident. Seat belts save lives....guns also save lives.

For anyone who has decided to carry a firearm, the choice of how to carry should be up to them.

10. Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Say what you will, but in my book, someone chooses to go about in public with a loaded weapon and feel you have no moral, ethical or legal burden to be properly trained and financially capable of paying for any loss of property or medical bills caused by your actions and you're a reckless fool. Reminds me of some of the ideas those sovereign citizen nut jobs talk about.

Say what you will, but in my book, someone chooses to go about in public with a loaded weapon and feel you have no moral, ethical or legal burden to be properly trained and financially capable of paying for any loss of property or medical bills caused by your actions and you're a reckless fool. Reminds me of some of the ideas those sovereign citizen nut jobs talk about.
    I person who carries has the right to seek any additional training they want. But I don't think we should legislate what that extra training is. Many people who carry seek additional training. Maybe not from CLEET, but from the NRA or other training programs.

Following the same line of logic, we should legislate how much insurance people must have for vehicle insurance.

12. Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    I person who carries has the right to seek any additional training they want. But I don't think we should legislate what that extra training is. Many people who carry seek additional training. Maybe not from CLEET, but from the NRA or other training programs.

Following the same line of logic, we should legislate how much insurance people must have for vehicle insurance.
    I don't care where someone is trained, as long as the training provided is complete and approved. I'm a scuba diver and you must be certified to dive (I know its not a specific constitutional right), but I can be certified through more than one approved training provider - I chose PADI, my dive partner chose a different organization.

I definitely think minimum insurance requirements is a must on vehicles and should be on guns. I have a 2 million dollar policy specifically for me to carry a gun (even though I don't own one) and it only costs me about $100/yr.

I do carry out of fear, fear for my family. I am afraid that someday, at the end of the day, they will be without a father and a husband. I carry so that I can provide myself the best opportunity to make it home to them at the end of the day.
    The huge majority of violent crime is not random -- it's between people that know each other.

If you mind your own business and treat people around you with respect, you are never going to have any problems. And this is coming from someone that has worked with gang members in what is generally considered the "worst" areas of Los Angeles.

14. Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    The huge majority of violent crime is not random -- it's between people that know each other.

If you mind your own business and treat people around you with respect, you are never going to have any problems. And this is coming from someone that has worked with gang members in what is generally considered the "worst" areas of Los Angeles.
    I think 'never' is a bit unrealistic. I'd guess most armed robbery victims didn't know their attacker and didn't provoke it. Same goes for many rape victims, etc.

I meant the statistical never rather than the literal one.

16. Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    I meant the statistical never rather than the literal one.
    Ah, I do that.

Yes, based on population numbers, the odds of any one person needing a gun to fend off a violent criminal in public is pretty tiny. What I do is insanely dangerous and I've never felt the need to carry a gun. I do like them for home protection though. Lots of homes in our neighborhood get robbed by someone simply walking up and kicking in the back door. For that reason I keep a tactical shotgun (something I was certified in how to use) next to my desk in the living room and our bed.

... Same goes for many rape victims, etc.
    Roughly 75 percent of all survivors know their assailants

18. Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Roughly 75 percent of all survivors know their assailants
    And that stat lumps in date rape, etc. I'm talking about guy enters home in the middle of the night, etc. - makes the morning news. Notice I said 'many' and not all rapes in general. Even with lumping in date rapes, 25% is still a measurable amount.

MadMonk Guest

I don't expect any more trouble from law-abiding citizens with this passing than what came from passing a concealed carry law (which amounts to none).

I support the open carry bill, mainly because of the protections it gives me when I CC. I don't carry all the time, but when I do, I'm paranoid that somehow I'll accidentally reveal and someone freaks out and tries to have me arrested.

I carry because I like being confident that I've done everything I can to make sure I can defend myself and my family in a bad situation. Will I openly carry if this passes? I have no to plans to. But at least I won't get arrested and lose my CC license if a random breeze blows my shirt open in front of someone like LowRyter.

+1

at least you guys admit you are scared and have to carry a guns all the time- hell, I thought were just nostalgic to B&W TV: wyatt earp, gunsmoke.

You're just afraid, OK

BOoooo!

quick duck

none of you will be around me or my family open carrying.

I don't see a need for OC

MadMonk Guest

at least you guys admit you are scared and have to carry a guns all the time- hell, I thought were just nostalgic to B&W TV: wyatt earp, gunsmoke.

You're just afraid, OK

BOoooo!

quick duck

Its revealing that your only argument now is to try to call people scared. What's will your next juvenile attempt be, a hearty "neener neener"?

Grow up.

none of you will be around me or my family open carrying.
    That's your choice, but I guarantee there will be people around you that conceal-carry. Unless, of course, you never stray out of your home. At least if (when) this bill passes, your ability to create needless hassle by crying to a cop about seeing a big, scary piece of metal on somebody's hip is much lessened.

Quote Originally Posted by LandRunOkie View Post
    what kind of psychos would make use of this new law?
    As a small female, I'm a fan! Concealing a handgun suitable for self-defense is far easier for people with larger bodies and for men. A lot of holsters don't handle curves very well, and as a result the weapon doesn't lie nice and flat against the body like they're designed to do. Also, the fact that our wardrobe is comprised of a greater variety of styles from skirts to shorts to pants to dresses makes it very difficult to carry consistently unless you have an arsenal of different types of holsters to coordinate with your entire wardrobe.

An average 6' 180 lb man in an average men's t-shirt and jeans can conceal a 1911 without issue. In the same (women's) outfit, it's very difficult for me to conceal my subcompact .380. I'd like to get into IPSC, but that requires at least a 9mm. Rather than dividing my rounds and range time between the gun I can conceal and the gun I can compete with, I'd prefer to consistently use the same weapon so that if I encounter that life-or-death situation, I'm as prepared for it and my response is as automatic and trained as it can possibly be.

Which part of that makes me a psycho?

PS: I find it surprising that so many posters seem to feel safe with people carrying guns around them as long as they're ignorant about it, but the moment this is made apparent it's scary. Knowledge is power, folks - embrace it.

sid- my argument was that open-carry is provocative and intimidating. See my post where I point out that how a single parent might feel when their children encounter folks wearing guns. yes it's provocative.

regarding my insurance. I changed insurance carriers this year. I have one truck, one SUV, 4 cars, two motorcycles & and an RV. The paper work on the car in question was in error. I was very concerned about loosing aprx $12k. I would also like to get the culprit. So if you think I am stupid, you have a right to your opinion. I can say that's reciprocal.

I think its crazy as hell to see people carry guns around. really crazy.

Now I've learned many of you are scared. So now you can scare everyone else.

Thread Information