Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

I guess I still don't get the reason it might become a problem. To carry, concealed or open, requires going through a particular process to receive a permit. So prior to this law, the permitted person next to you might have a concealed piece. After it is signed, the permitted person next to you might have a concealed piece OR s/he might have a visible piece (or perhaps both.)

Just remember .. guns don't kill people. Bullets, well, that's a whole nuther story.

2. Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    That officer conducted himself very professionally and seems to have a good sense of humor. So often we see just the negative, it's kind of nice to see this sort of reaction from time to time.
    I have mixed feelings about the officer. After he made contact with the citizen I think he was indeed very professional, courteous and even likable - a combination I have rarely encounter from OCPD, but often do with Del City and MWC PD.

My concern was.... did he stop the citizen simply because he was open carrying? If so, I have issue with that considering its an open carry state. I don't care that he was in public with a gun - that matters not unless someone called 911 and reported the person acting in a suspicious manner or if the officer witnessed something other than the holstered weapon.

I don't want officers being able to stop me, detain me and question me for engaging in perfectly legal activities.

But, if they are going to, I want it to be that officer.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the officer. After he made contact with the citizen I think he was indeed very professional, courteous and even likable - a combination I have rarely encounter from OCPD, but often do with Del City and MWC PD.

My concern was.... did he stop the citizen simply because he was open carrying? If so, I have issue with that considering its an open carry state. I don't care that he was in public with a gun - that matters not unless someone called 911 and reported the person acting in a suspicious manner or if the officer witnessed something other than the holstered weapon.

I don't want officers being able to stop me, detain me and question me for engaging in perfectly legal activities.

It's too bad OCPD doesn't encourage or train their officers to act in the same type of professional manner as the officer in the video. That would never happen in OKC. Most officers I have run into are total smartasses that think they are hot shyt because they carry a badge. OCPD reminds me of small town cops. I have been to many other larger cities and have been out all hrs. of the night and see police cars but do not see them hasseling people just because they have nothing better to do in the early morning hrs. You can't even go our for a drive after 2.00am without police cars swarming all around just looking to hassle someone. I just don't like how these police officers in OKC act. They all seem to act the same. God forbid you get stopped by some rookie. If this law passes I think I will do the same thing as the fellow on the video just to see how these cops around here handle it.

4. Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    ... If this law passes I think I will do the same thing as the fellow on the video just to see how these cops around here handle it.
    Best to have a backup recording at the same time. The last time OCPD stopped me I was simply recording audio with the phone in my pocket and they took it, turned the screen on, unlocked it (no password required), and then hit stop on the audio recording app. And yes, that is clearly an illegal search of my property. Fortunately, I always have a second recorder recording. I've since changed my phone to require a password to be unlocked.

This makes us look like a bunch of reneck gun-toting hicks. So what else is new? We've got Sally Kern too.

6. Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    This makes us look like a bunch of reneck gun-toting hicks. So what else is new? We've got Sally Kern too.
    Really? Then we are in good company and growing.... http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html

That makes me think about when I was in banking many years ago here in Oklahoma. I and a number of others had a gun within reach just underneath of our desks (not my idea at all). I have no idea if that was legal at the time (late 70's early 80's).

MadMonk Guest

He clearly states at the beginning that he had gotten a lot of calls about the guy. It was his duty to check it out.

9. Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    He clearly states at the beginning that he had gotten a lot of calls about the guy. It was his duty to check it out.
    And I clearly stated that I have an issue with citizens being stopped and detained by police for following the law. There is zero mention than anyone called and claimed the citizen was doing anything illegal. Its not an officers duty to stop and detain people when there is no legal basis for it.

MadMonk Guest

And I clearly stated that I have an issue with citizens being stopped and detained by police for following the law. There is zero mention than anyone called and claimed the citizen was doing anything illegal. Its not an officers duty to stop and detain people when there is no legal basis for it.
    Do you have a problem with an officer doing a welfare check on someone as well? That's essentially all he did. He made sure that the guy seemed to be doing okay physically and mentally.

11. Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Do you have a problem with an officer doing a welfare check on someone as well? That's essentially all he did. He made sure that the guy seemed to be doing okay physically and mentally.
    That's absurd and is not even comparable to a 'check the welfare' call. Based on that then you seem to be okay with police stopping any citizen at any time and questioning them.

Really? Then we are in good company and growing.... http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html
    Also check out http://www.facebook.com/#!/opencarryok

That's absurd and is not even comparable to a 'check the welfare' call. Based on that then you seem to be okay with police stopping any citizen at any time and questioning them.
    Must less a self appointed busybody...like Zimmerman.

The video did make me get familiar with stop and identify laws, which we don't have here, evidently, but are in effect and have been upheld elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

I do remember the OKC cops doing a roadblock license check in my hood a couple of years ago near some sketchy apartments, perhaps illegally, though when I looked that up at the time I thought they could do that, and I'm still unclear (and too lazy to look it up now) if an officer in Oklahoma can stop you and see if you are legally licensed to drive. If so, and considering there are strict requirements and licensing for open carry, does that same train of thought not extend to checking to see if one has a permit to carry a weapon?

If not, then how is enforcement supposed to work? Yes, I approve of the cops making darn sure everyone who carries a weapon openly is 100% in compliance with the law. If we are going to allow people to walk around with guns we do need stop, identify and present your gun permit laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    That officer conducted himself very professionally and seems to have a good sense of humor. So often we see just the negative, it's kind of nice to see this sort of reaction from time to time.
    I agree... he did his job professionally and fairly.

I'm OK with the police stopping somebody open carrying a firearm especially since the police department received several calls about him. Not doing so would have been a dereliction of duty.

MadMonk Guest

Its not absurd. Also, you ever hear of a call reporting a "suspicious person"? Should they ignore those too?

This isn't a case of the police harassing a random guy. People were calling in about him and they checked him out and he went on his way. Why is this difficult for you to comprehend?

I said something earlier in the thread but i still dont really get who is asking for open carry. Im an AVID gun lover and i practice concealed carry. I just wish the legislators would focus on actual issues instead of this open carry nonsense. I just dont get this whole thing...

People who own a business will not allow people to open carry in their business because of the liability and the fact that it will make their customers nervous.

Some will ban carrying on their property, concealed or open. Some will not. Not a lot different than today.

20. Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Its not absurd. Also, you ever hear of a call reporting a "suspicious person"? Should they ignore those too?

This isn't a case of the police harassing a random guy. People were calling in about him and they checked him out and he went on his way. Why is this difficult for you to comprehend?
    Yes, it is absurd. A person obeying the law is not 'suspicious' simply because some ignorant citizen either doesn't know the law or simply doesn't like it doesn't make it so.

By that logic we should all be Zimmerman's and call the cops every time a suspicious black guy is walking through a neighborhood and the cops should detain him because "people are calling in about you."

21. Default Re: Open Carry Law Set to Pass

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    We are currently only one of eight states that don't allow some form of open carry. Many without any kind of license. If open carry will make us look like hicks the majority of the USA already do.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    We are currently only one of eight states that don't allow some form of open carry. Many without any kind of license. If open carry will make us look like hicks the majority of the USA already do.

How will this make us look like hicks anymore than most other states that already have some sort of this law on the books? I don't understand the looking like hicks remarks. Seriously,that remark doesn't make any sense. Any sane law biding citizen should be able to bear arms. Felons will not be the ones openly carrying guns,it will be the law biding non felon.

If I take a ride on my motorcycle and want to strap a holstered 44 mag to the side I should have that right IMO.

I think people wanting to open carry need to be realistic. I can go walking down the street with a samurai sword strapped to my back and it'd be perfectly legal, but if I did it I'd probably realize I might have someone stop to make sure I am not a nut. If I were standing around outside a bar at 2 a.m. but had not had a drop to drink, I would probably expect to have a cop come talk to me if he wanted to see if I were a public drunk. This happens all the time and no one talks about it or thinks twice about the scenario. If I were walking down the street stumbling around with a brown paper baggie in my hand I might expect to get stopped to see if I had alcohol/drugs on me. Perhaps that's unfair if I am a clutzy guy who just bought some Tic Tacs at the convenient store, but it happens. I think if you want to open carry you need to have realistic expectations. No, no one can take that right away from you if the bill passes, but that doesn't mean you will never be inconvenienced, just like in all these other much more common scenarios. Am I saying it's right? No, not necessarily. I'm saying it happens all the time with much less significant items.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    If not, then how is enforcement supposed to work? Yes, I approve of the cops making darn sure everyone who carries a weapon openly is 100% in compliance with the law. If we are going to allow people to walk around with guns we do need stop, identify and present your gun permit laws.
    If they can't stop you while driving just to make sure you have a license, they should be able to just stop you for carrying to make sure you have a license.

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post

Originally Posted by Double Edge

If they can't stop you while driving just to make sure you have a license, they should be able to just stop you for carrying to make sure you have a license.
    Police will not stop anyone without probably cause or reasonable suspicion just like they always do. If you give them a reason to make contact with you they will likely ask as they always do. "Do you have any weapons on you." or they may ask you to surrender your weapon long enough to run the serial number against the stolen gun data base. Anyone with ounce of common sense will tell the officer the gun is present at the point the officer make contact with them. Rather it be a traffic stop or a stop and talk on the street. For the common person, a traffic stop is the only time your going to be confronted by an officer unless your causing problems.

Thread Information