Default Re: Steelyard

Bizzie is going in next week.

Blog Entries

Cleaners?

Yes, Bizzie Box.

4. Default Re: Steelyard

nice to see additional retail coming!! we need more of this (dry cleaners, sundry stores, convenience stores, pharmacies, barber shops, salons, kinkos, etc) downtown in the various districts, all walkable. IMO this has been very lacking and when more are added will make a huge difference to the feel of downtown - along with many more mom-pop restaurants and shoppes in all of the storefronts.

We do need a few national chains and luxury boutiques to draw but the local retail is the keeper, the true downtown economy.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    nice to see additional retail coming!! we need more of this (dry cleaners, sundry stores, convenience stores, pharmacies, barber shops, salons, kinkos, etc) downtown in the various districts, all walkable. IMO this has been very lacking and when more are added will make a huge difference to the feel of downtown - along with many more mom-pop restaurants and shoppes in all of the storefronts.

We do need a few national chains and luxury boutiques to draw but the local retail is the keeper, the true downtown economy.
    Bizzie is an on-demand dry cleaning and laundry service that will be installed IN Steelyard for their residents, not a storefront.

6. Default Re: Steelyard

well, hopefully the demand will be met shortly. ....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I wonder when and what tenants will be announced for the street-level fronts. Will they be resident-needs stores, or general public stores?

11. Default Re: Steelyard

Jeez, what is with places in the OKC area using Arial for what should be landmark signage? It communicates "We wanted to have an impressive sign, but we waited until 9pm the Friday before it was supposed to be installed so we had our accountant print something off of MS Excel instead and sent that to the sign shop".

UNP in Norman has a sign in Arial too. Probably spent thousands of dollars on it...couldn't be arsed to click the font-drop down and choose something than one of the default fonts that came with Windows.

Blog Entries

Sometimes simple and clean is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    Jeez, what is with places in the OKC area using Arial for what should be landmark signage? It communicates "We wanted to have an impressive sign, but we waited until 9pm the Friday before it was supposed to be installed so we had our accountant print something off of MS Excel instead and sent that to the sign shop".

UNP in Norman has a sign in Arial too. Probably spent thousands of dollars on it...couldn't be arsed to click the font-drop down and choose something than one of the default fonts that came with Windows.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Gothic

14. Default Re: Steelyard

That's not Highway Gothic (which is officially called FHWA Series). It is Arial.

There's simple and clean, and there's plenty of typefaces that fit that bill (Gotham would be a lovely choice), and then there is lazy/cheap, which is using a default Windows font.

It says a lot about the quality of developments we are getting now when the chief complaint is the font on the signage.

Blog Entries

That's not Highway Gothic (which is officially called FHWA Series). It is Arial.

There's simple and clean, and there's plenty of typefaces that fit that bill (Gotham would be a lovely choice), and then there is lazy/cheap, which is using a default Windows font.
    Of course, that is you opinion. Because you don’t like it doesn’t make them either lazy or cheap. It is a preference and no objective evidence to suggest it is wrong. Using Gotham doesn’t cost more or take more time. Just a choice.

Why can’t we just state our opinions without trying to disparage those who are making the real decisions and facing the real consequences.

17. Default Re: Steelyard

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Why canÂ’t we just state our opinions without trying to disparage those who are making the real decisions and facing the real consequences.
    The very principle of community forums is the discussion that takes place among the posters. Opinions are important, and while we can always choose to articulate ourselves and our opinions in a more objective manner, that in itself is a choice that is incumbent upon the individual.

While I appreciate those who do have the means to take chances and help foster economic growth... your line above made me cringe. I dislike your notion that we shouldn't "disparage" (subjectively criticize) those with power, just because they have the ability to create change. Assuredly, that is what you meant when you alluded to "those who are making the real decisions, and facing the real consequences"? There always seems to be some back-handed comment in your posts...

Anyways, I will admit that I wasn't impressed by the sign either and it has everything to do with the font. I wouldn't say it looks cheap, but it does certainly look plain... and objectively speaking, LOL, that is usually not a compliment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82A97952-AD9F-4420-9078-9EB7609EA868.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	14675

At least it's not Papyrus.

Overall, I think it all looks great. It will be nice to see the trees grow and mature to add even more to the atmosphere.

21. Default Re: Steelyard

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    It says a lot about the quality of developments we are getting now when the chief complaint is the font on the signage.
    Absolutely—it sticks out more when a fantastic, aesthetically pleasing project flubs a small detail like this. It doesn't match with the quality of the rest of the design. It's like serving caviar with a side of Top Ramen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Using Gotham doesn’t cost more or take more time. Just a choice.
    It does, actually—the designer would have to buy a license to use Gotham ($299 for the 16-weight package for one computer; there's bulk discounts). Presumably a dedicated designer that did multiple graphic design projects for multiple clients would be able to amortize the cost of the license across several projects (and probably already has a Gotham license, as it's been one of the most popular typefaces of the past 10 years).

Arial is licensed as part of Microsoft Windows and comes pre-installed with the OS, and is thus part of the cost of the computer.

Why can’t we just state our opinions without trying to disparage those who are making the real decisions and facing the real consequences.
    I am one of those who makes real decisions and faces real consequences. I don't use Arial for anything.

Blog Entries

It does, actually—the designer would have to buy a license to use Gotham ($299 for the 16-weight package for one computer; there's bulk discounts). Presumably a dedicated designer that did multiple graphic design projects for multiple clients would be able to amortize the cost of the license across several projects (and probably already has a Gotham license, as it's been one of the most popular typefaces of the past 10 years).

Arial is licensed as part of Microsoft Windows and comes pre-installed with the OS, and is thus part of the cost of the computer.

I am one of those who makes real decisions and faces real consequences. I don't use Arial for anything.
    If anyone thinks the developer used a particular font to save $299 then they know nothing about doing work at this level. After spending 10s of MILLIONS of dollars, $299 is TOTALLY insignificant. I stand by my opinion that this was a choice and not to save money.

Their choice of font will have ZERO affect on this project IMHO. This is a non-issue. We have run out of other things to nit pick I guess. This is a good thing that this is the worst thing we can opine on. Lol.

I don't mind the font. In this last pic from Pete, to me it reinforces (pun intended?) the STEEL in the name. Those E's looking like cross-beams. I like it.

if we're going with worst use of font for a nice development in the metro, this is the one that comes to my mind most readily

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-05-31_7-55-44.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	14676

At least they aren't doing the whole "Z" branding thing. Imagine it being "Steelyardz" or "Zteelyard" or "Gigglez".

So yeah, the font is no issue here.

Thread Information