Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelyard

Default Re: East Bricktown Apartments & Hotel

That's one demolition I don't object to.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    That's one demolition I don't object to.
    Agreed! This will definite clean up the east side of Bricktown. Hope this development does happen and that it will be a great, quality one for Bricktown!

Do we know the timeline for demolition (sorry if it's in that video--the video isn't playing for me for some reason)?

HangryHippo Guest

The only reference to a timeline that I heard was that they're waiting on all the necessary permits, a process which will probably take anywhere from 2 - 4 months, depending on what happens.

I wonder why he is not going to demolish the buildings south of Sheridan? Makes sense to go ahead and demolish those too...

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I wonder why he is not going to demolish the buildings south of Sheridan? Makes sense to go ahead and demolish those too...
    unless they aren't going to be doing anything with that land in the immediate future... don't want a spot that causes dirt and sand to blow through bricktown in the wind is in the right direction. at least that is my thought on the matter

Such a great news. These buildings have served as a primary, and embarrassing, entrance to Bricktown for too long.

I am usually apprehensive about any demolition because we've seen that even when specific plans to redevelop are a part, even then we often end up with nothing more than another weed-filled lot.

But in this case, the demolition, clean-up and utility issues are going to take a lot of time and would be needed no matter what is built there. Also, there is really no hope for the existing metal structures.

Even if this particular deal doesn't come together doing this work now will greatly help whatever ultimately happens there. And it sounds like the existing proposal continues to move forward. All this won't be cheap for Meinders so he must have some degree of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Such a great news. These buildings have served as a primary, and embarrassing, entrance to Bricktown for too long.
    The gas station, McDonald's, and Bass Pro on Reno are almost just as embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    unless they aren't going to be doing anything with that land in the immediate future... don't want a spot that causes dirt and sand to blow through bricktown in the wind is in the right direction. at least that is my thought on the matter
    Sod and water are fairly cheap and would be a definite improvement.

12. Default Re: East Bricktown Apartments & Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I am usually apprehensive about any demolition because we've seen that even when specific plans to redevelop are a part, even then we often end up with nothing more than another weed-filled lot.

But in this case, the demolition, clean-up and utility issues are going to take a lot of time and would be needed no matter what is built there. Also, there is really no hope for the existing metal structures.

Even if this particular deal doesn't come together doing this work now will greatly help whatever ultimately happens there. And it sounds like the existing proposal continues to move forward. All this won't be cheap for Meinders so he must have some degree of confidence.
    I know Bob personally, and ran into him at a Thunder game right as this project was bubbling to the surface. We chatted for quite a while about it. This development is going to happen. The utility relocation was the key to all of it.

Something else folks should know about Bob is that he is perhaps the property owner in Bricktown most driven to secure great retail. He and I compared notes from my days with the Automobile Alley Main Street program, when I naïvely approached national retailers in hopes they would give the district the time of day before being brought back down to earth by the harsh realities of national retail site selection standards for nearby rooftops and demographics. In working to bring quality retail to Bricktown over the past few years, he was much more experienced, sophisticated and resourceful than I was of course, and certainly the rooftop count for downtown was slightly improved over the late nineties and early 2000s, but he still ran into very similar frustrations.

That is one of the reasons he chose to move forward with this particular development rather than chasing the impractical and improbable. There is existing pent-up demand for the product that this project will bring to market. But I also believe Bob feels this development brings us a step closer to being a realistic market for the retail he wants to see down here, and in the long view that could be what transpires on the other side of Sheridan. It is a very practical and systematic approach.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I know Bob personally, and ran into him at a Thunder game right as this project was bubbling to the surface. We chatted for quite a while about it. This development is going to happen. The utility relocation was the key to all of it.
    When do you think we actually start to see the development begin? Early 2013? Later?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    When do you think we actually start to see the development begin? Early 2013? Later?
    I'll say it won't be until next Spring before we start seeing cranes...

15. Default Re: East Bricktown Apartments & Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    We didn't discuss timelines. There are people one here who probably have better information on the when of this project, but the utility relocation is critical. Bob said one of the sewer lines running under the property is literally big enough to drive a car through.

That makes sense, as the I-40 relocation required relocation of two sewer lines on the south end of the canal about 4-5 years ago. They had to bore the replacement lines under the existing Bricktown canal. They were easily 6' in diameter. One of the lines under Bob's property might be 100 years old.

The article with the above video.

http://newsok.com/majority-of-former...rticle/3692350

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    One of the lines under Bob's property might be 100 years old.
    Don't say that - someone is going to want to 'save' it.

18. Default Re: East Bricktown Apartments & Hotel

LOL. Just remember that good HP and smart urban development are not mutually exclusive; in fact most of the time they are the best of partners.

Yeah, I don't think there was any purpose to that joke except to damage Kerry's credibility on other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Yeah, I don't think there was any purpose to that joke except to damage Kerry's credibility on other issues.
    Sounds like a reasonable objective to me. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    The gas station, McDonald's, and Bass Pro on Reno are almost just as embarrassing.
    While they will never be architectural treasures, anything is up from what you see along east Reno.

I suppose it's too much to hope this site could be our next residential tower?

Doesn't Bricktown have a limitation on how tall buildings can be?

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I suppose it's too much to hope this site could be our next residential tower?
    What do you mean? Hasn't the developer already announced it will be a 4 story apartment complex and an 8 story hotel?

Yeah, but until the plans are filed one can hope. A residential tower would be far cooler than another cookie cutter apartment building.

Thread Information