Widgets Magazine
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 42434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1260

Thread: Steelyard

Default Re: Steelyard

Hidden Dragon Yoga is already open at the Steelyard, or at least having classes there if their space isn't finished yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Hidden Dragon Yoga is already open at the Steelyard, or at least having classes there if their space isn't finished yet.
    I stand corrected! Thanks for the info.

Is there plans for a sidewalk between Steelyard and the Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Open-ish. They are having classes, and they're in a temp space in the courtyard of the steelyard apts.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Is there plans for a sidewalk between Steelyard and the Hill?
    I don't think so.... I think it is the same situation as the Deep Deuce aluminum bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I don't think so.... I think it is the same situation as the Deep Deuce aluminum bridge.
    Long time stalker, first time poster here... maybe this has already been answered but what’s up with the gap between The Hill and The Steelyard? It’s pretty ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by SagerMichael View Post
    Long time stalker, first time poster here... maybe this has already been answered but what’s up with the gap between The Hill and The Steelyard? It’s pretty ugly.
    If I had to guess I'd say that's railway right of way, so...it will likely stay that way

The locals use it as free parking...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    If I had to guess I'd say that's railway right of way, so...it will likely stay that way
    That's exactly correct. It's owned by Union Pacific, who owns that rail yard directly to the east (the rail facility you see above the highway in Pete's picture). This used to be owned by the Rock Island railroad, and the gap was a corridor for an interchange track that allowed freight cars to pass between the north-south BNSF line and the Rock Island. Since Union Pacific took over that line, they have avoided abandoning this short bit of track; most recently because that line will be necessary for passenger rail connections to Tulsa and/or Shawnee from Santa Fe Station (our intermodal transit hub).

I wish we could turn it into a park in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStrings View Post
    I wish we could turn it into a park in the meantime.
    Did you miss that no one except the railroad company owns that land?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Did you miss that no one except the railroad company owns that land?
    That's why I said "I wish." It would be nice if the railroad would let us build a simple park until they are ready to use the land.

You could install sod and mow it or landscape it nicer.

But where would everybody park then??

If I had a few thousand to throw away (I don’t) I’d go and buy a few yards of gravel, and a few pallets of pavers and go out in the middle of the night and dig out a make shift sidewalk since the city doesn’t seem interested in it.

Blog Entries

I'm sure the city would if it could

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I'm sure the city would if it could
    Why do you think that? In the areas the city does control, they've failed to build sidewalks connecting these areas. The railroad prevents a sidewalk in that one short stretch of Russell M. Perry, but there's no sidewalk at all on the west side for another block north.

On another note, it's also disappointing that the recently built east sidewalk is not inviting to general pedestrians as it seems to almost be a private sidewalk for Hill residents. I bet most people walk in the street instead of turning in and using the Hill sidewalk.

If I spent half a million dollars on a place in the Hill, or if I was just a resident or regular in Deep Deuce, I'd be complaining that to get to Bricktown I have to walk in the middle of a road with cars. There are possible solutions here and I don't know why this important connecting area has been ignored.

Blog Entries

Because some time back on this forum there was some kind of master plan posted that showed a walking path to the boathouse district from Deep Deuce/Bricktown, which would have covered the particular sidewalkless area we're discussing. That shows that someone at the city is thinking about it at least. I can't remember for the life of me what that thread was called.

Sheridan is now completely open in front of this development.

Looks fantastic. I just don't understand the weird obsession with Juliet balconies here. Living in a condo/apartment with a full balcony in a downtown area is a wonderful perk and I would pay more for one with than without. So why not build them?

It may have to do with the balconies hovering over sidewalks

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Looks fantastic. I just don't understand the weird obsession with Juliet balconies here. Living in a condo/apartment with a full balcony in a downtown area is a wonderful perk and I would pay more for one with than without. So why not build them?
    I've asked this before. I spent time in Milwaukee the last two summers and seemingly every urban apartment and condo had a huge balcony. Very few do in OKC.

Yes, because the city sold it back to them. The railroad has only owned that land and rail for a few short years in the recent past. A bunch of people told the city not to let it go back to the railroad but they were “meh”.

Regarding the clearing of land to the east of the Steelyard, Gary Brooks says they are just clearing it for now but hope to get going on the next phase at then end of 2019.

Thread Information