Widgets Magazine
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelyard

1. Default Re: Steelyard

I LOVE how wide those crosswalks are and the wide open ramps. Imagine if all of Bricktown had a streetscape like this, it would be a pedestrian paradise. You could even do Reno like this, but keep 4 lanes instead of 2.

Default Re: Steelyard

look what's missing there, those stupid curb triangle like deals at the corners

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    I LOVE how wide those crosswalks are and the wide open ramps. Imagine if all of Bricktown had a streetscape like this, it would be a pedestrian paradise. You could even do Reno like this, but keep 4 lanes instead of 2.
    This.

Except at some point I would like to see Reno narrowed to two lanes. Right now its a major auto thoroughfare in and out of downtown but the new BLVD will replace it. I think Reno could eventually be a showcase pedestrian corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    This.

Except at some point I would like to see Reno narrowed to two lanes. Right now its a major auto thoroughfare in and out of downtown but the new BLVD will replace it. I think Reno could eventually be a showcase pedestrian corridor.
    I think you're on to something. The boulevard is basically redundant (and probably a pedestrian death trap) if Reno stays as is. Maybe the streetcar should get its own lane and another lane should be for bikes.

5. Default Re: Steelyard

This is a good idea

David captures the unholy mess that is the current state of the Steelyard:

The Steelyard dirt mountain from the Hill from Saturday.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	11162

This is one project I'm really looking forward to seeing complete. As you come down I-35 past Downtown it will be an awesome sight and great infill at 35 and 40

How is this project coming along?

It's flatter now.

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	166 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	11441

Oh, and kind of dissapointed the new sidewalks on the west side of Steelyard that lack trees.

Views:	167 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	11442

That area will look very different once they build the two hotels along Joe Carter.

Here is the latest site plan:

What's the timeline on this project?

The hotels should start after the first of the year.

The apartments and retail should open late next year.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Oh, and kind of dissapointed the new sidewalks on the west side of Steelyard that lack trees.

Views:	167 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	11442
    That is one that slipped through the cracks. You're right, there should have been trees between the street and sidewalk. I am actually surprised that what was built in your picture is even still legal. If that is looking south on Joe Carter on the east side of the street it doesn't even match what is in the site plan. There were supposed to be 9 trees, 3 curb bump-outs, and 6 on-street parking spaces along that stretch of road. Wonder what happened.

That area will get totally reworked when AC and Hyatt Place start construction after the first of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That area will get totally reworked when AC and Hyatt Place start construction after the first of the year.
    Then they should have just left the sidewalk unfinished in the section. At some point we have to stop this throw-a-way mentality.

Blog Entries

It looks like the city has provided nice unencumbered safe walkways by the construction site. This seems much better than the other construction sites which don't allow for pedestrian traffic. This should aid all the people wanting to walk from Deep Deuce to Btown. This is good, right?

19. Default Re: Steelyard

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    It looks like the city has provided nice unencumbered safe walkways by the construction site. This seems much better than the other construction sites which don't allow for pedestrian traffic. This should aid all the people wanting to walk from Deep Deuce to Btown. This is good, right?
    Yes. I used to run through there and there were no sidewalks at all so this is a major improvement imo.

They are already stubbing out plumbing... Going to be fun to watch this massive series of buildings start to rise, and it will completely transform this area:

HangryHippo Guest

Is there any hope of a redesign of the planned hotels for this project? The most recent renderings (not the AC as much, mainly the Hyatt Place) were pretty disappointing, especially when compared to the aesthetic of the apartment complex.

I suspect the Hyatt Place design will evolve. The AC looks really cool and will be much more visible due to its corner location.

23. Default Re: Steelyard

Based on comments at the information-only presentation at the last BUDC, I suspect when it is presented for formal review in November that you will see the following:

1. Very little change to AC
    2. More brick on Hyatt Place façade, replacing some EFIS.
    3. Possibly a new or altered approach to the faux bricked-in window openings, though this would require some floor plan reconfig so maybe not.
    4. Not much else

It appears, from driving down 235, that steel is starting to go up on this project. Anyone have any new pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    It appears, from driving down 235, that steel is starting to go up on this project. Anyone have any new pictures?
    I don't think there will be much if any steel.

The parking garage will likely be cast concrete and go in first. Then everything else will likely be wood, ala The Edge and the other large downtown apartment complexes.

Thread Information